Best Way To Teach Dogs To Stay Off The Couch?

My wife and I have to Labrador puppies. One is 15 months tomorrow and one is 7 months. But they both believe that when we aren't in the room then they can hope on the couch.

We kick them straight off when we find them but we are currently living with my dad until our house is built and he doesn't tell them off because they are stubborn and will get back up again so gets sick of telling them off.

My wife has made it very clear that they are not allowed on the couch and that when we move then this is a big NO.

Now my dad has gone away for about 3 weeks. So now would be a good time to teach them not to get up on the couch.

So what is the best way to teach them to stay off?

I have a mat they can lie on in the lounge room. This gives them somewhere they can go. So I teach them to go to their mat, and when they get on the couch this is where they are directed instead.

Ditto to Kavik.

In the past we have teathered them so they can't move off their beds, however that was with the really strong willed ones.

Also removing them from the sofa and then body blocking them so they can't get back up and go and put them on their bed.

Apart from training (ie praising for NOT being on couch; correction - appropriate style & intensity for your dog - when it GOES to get on couch) you need to include preventative measures for when you are not around (until they are in the habit of not getting up there at all). This might be as simple as denying access to that room unless you are around to control their activities.

Take into account how long it's been OK for the dogs to use the couch and factor that in when you are calculating a reasonable period of time for them to unlearn (so to speak) it. Your dogs might get the idea in the few weeks you have, but unless your Dad follows through with the training and also denies them access to the couch, you will probably find their new-found training is not reliable enough to not be tempted by the time he comes home.

Giving the dogs their own 'place to be/rest' would make it a whole lot easier for them to learn. In otherwords, show them what TO do (ie where to lay down) in place of their old behaviour is much clearer for them than simply telling them what NOT TO DO - especially given they've been allowed to do it in the past.

If they do have a place you could also tether them so that they can lay on their beds but not reach to the couch. This method sets them up to 'win' and is a way of starting out to tell them what TO do before you apply the NOT TO element of the re-training.

ETA: If your wife doesn't want mats in the lounge room am I assuming correctly that she doesn't want them to lay in the loungeroom? If this is the case, deny them access to the lounge room altogether until they get used to retiring to their comfy mats elsewhere in the house.

Edited by Erny

If your wife doesn't want the dogs to have 'beds' in the lounge..and they are not allowed on the couch....why have them in the lounge room ?

If a dog ahs a comfy bed, and it is one which fits well with a room..it is just a matter of getting the dog to see that THEIR bed is the better choice :laugh:

If there is NO designated spot for dog/s to lie..then there will be dogs looking for a comfy spot!! This means a couch, a scrunched up carpet, a chair......

Maybe they should be excluded from the lounge while you are not there, and consistent training done when you ARE around :p

They will find it very hard to resist sleeping on the couch when there is no comfortable alternative, or no negative consequences for doing so.

Maybe not the answer you're looking for but we bought a second hand leather (easy to keep clean) lounge off ebay for the dogs. It's "their" lounge, and the rest of the furniture belongs to us :laugh:

My wife doesn't want bedding in the lounge room as she doesn't want visitors to see their beds. She doesn't want them on the couch because she is allergic to dogs and they leave hair on the couch and she doesn't like sitting in it.

Both are happy to lie on the floor when we are around. The female normally likes to lie at my feet.

And seeing that we spend a lot of time in the lounge room when we are home then dogs like to be around us in there and it would be unfair to them to not let them in the lounge room which is open plan so includes the kitchen and dining areas as well. Its a 14x4 metre room and it is upstairs so not letting them up there would basically not allow them in the main parts of the house that we would be in.

I don't quite see ,if she is 'allergic to dogs' how she can be comfortable with labrador hair everywhere :laugh: They shed constantly..one reason I suggested beds, is that they lie on the beds, leave most of the hair on THEM instead of your floor and carpet..much easier to vacuum or wash!

Ok...as everything is open plan..you want the dogs in the lounge....your wife has trouble with the hairy couch....

how about a large 'throw'/rug to cover the couch when you are at work ? Whip it off when you are home..and the dogs have a comfortable bed, no doggy beds for the visitors to see, and no hair on the couch. :rofl:

I think you need to take your wife shopping !!!

There are some really lovely beds available these days that will, shall we say, compliment the decor of your home :rofl:

Compromise is needed, the dogs have to lay on something and if it isn't the couch what better than a tastefully designed dog bed which can easily be moved and cleaned.

I'll sympathise with your wife. My OH is allergic to dog hair also- so we have poodles- perfect, no shedding :rofl: .

What is her objection to the beds- the look, the hair, the smell, the space taken up? Once you know that, you've got a place to start.

An indoor mat is a good alternative- not as cushy, but easy to slot away behind a door somewhere when not in use. They make some good-looking ones that are fully washable.

Our smaller poodle took a liking to our cream coloured Ikea chair- we flip up the cushion so it's no longer comfy to sit on when we're not watching. I've caught him on there at night despite having a comfy dog bed nearby. Evil! I suppose it's not very practical to move all the lounge cushions, but it would stop them sitting on them.

Why even have the dogs inside :rofl:

They have nothing to call there own space.

No your right I guess giving them the whole rumpus room is not really enough. What would you suggest? Maybe I could give them the main bedroom and ensuite as well?

And they are inside because that is where I want them and they like being close to me.

Ok...as everything is open plan..you want the dogs in the lounge....your wife has trouble with the hairy couch....

how about a large 'throw'/rug to cover the couch when you are at work ? Whip it off when you are home..and the dogs have a comfortable bed, no doggy beds for the visitors to see, and no hair on the couch. :rofl:

She won't go that because the the rug would have dog hair on it and that would mean the chance it would end up on the couch.

Why even have the dogs inside :rofl:

They have nothing to call there own space.

No your right I guess giving them the whole rumpus room is not really enough. What would you suggest? Maybe I could give them the main bedroom and ensuite as well?

And they are inside because that is where I want them and they like being close to me.

There own space , is a bed or mat etc.

Something that is theres no matter which rooom you place it in.

It's an instant thing, go to your bed or mat etc.

Buy hey if your going to give them a main room and ensuite, who wants a mat anyway :rofl:

My wife and I have to Labrador puppies. One is 15 months tomorrow and one is 7 months. But they both believe that when we aren't in the room then they can hop on the couch.

And the dogs are right are they not? Really, there is bugger all you can do if you leave them in there if you are not there to supervise.

Remember that dogs do not have a moral code. All they know is that the couch is comfy, but that Mum inexplicably gets upset when they get on the couch, Dad will get cranky because Mum is cranky but really isn't terribly concerned, and Grampa is a pushover and understands that dogs like comfy couches.

If you don't want them on the furniture, don't leave them unsupervised. As to dog beds, there are some very glam dog beds around, and dog beds are easily whipped into the back room if there are guests coming over.

Buy your wife a copy of "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson.

She won't go that because the the rug would have dog hair on it and that would mean the chance it would end up on the couch.

Does your wife touch the dogs at all ? What was the agreement between you when you decided to get dogs, did you discuss how the dogs would integrate into your daily life ?