Anyone Learnt Canine Massage?

Am interested in learning canine massage and was wondering if anyone has done any courses in it?

Do you think you could learn massage by correspondence properly or do you really need to do a hands on course

I have this book 'Canine Massage - a complete reference manual' by Jean-Pierre Hourdebaigt 2nd edition published June 2004. Excellent book with lots of images and illustrations.

Having also performed Bowen therapy on my boy, being instructed by a qualified Bowen practioner to do so, seeing how precise you have to be and knowing you have to use your hands 'just so', I think a hands on course is the winner every time.

I would be a little cautious of a correspondence course for a hands on therapy. My thoughts would be that it would be better to spend that money on more quality books than spending the fees that would probably cover largely admin costs. I think you would always learn more (i know i did) with a hands on course as you can actively try things out and get direct feedback from who is teaching you. It really does take a lot of hands on experience to develop your hands and their "feel". I think the same way about correspondance courses for dog training - there is so much that you miss unless you actually see it, then try it.

My problem is that since i have started there are too many different courses, workshops, techniques that i now want to learn - don't think i will ever stop. :confused:

Have heard many people suggest the previous mentioned book by Jean-Pierre as being a good book. If you are really interested in learning (whether a hands on course, correspondance or just books) you would be best getting a detailed canine anatomy book along with any others that cover the massage part.

I would be a little cautious of a correspondence course for a hands on therapy. My thoughts would be that it would be better to spend that money on more quality books than spending the fees that would probably cover largely admin costs. I think you would always learn more (i know i did) with a hands on course as you can actively try things out and get direct feedback from who is teaching you. It really does take a lot of hands on experience to develop your hands and their "feel". I think the same way about correspondance courses for dog training - there is so much that you miss unless you actually see it, then try it.

My problem is that since i have started there are too many different courses, workshops, techniques that i now want to learn - don't think i will ever stop. :confused:

Have heard many people suggest the previous mentioned book by Jean-Pierre as being a good book. If you are really interested in learning (whether a hands on course, correspondance or just books) you would be best getting a detailed canine anatomy book along with any others that cover the massage part.

thanks for the reply,are there any other books you could recommend as well and would i just get them from a book shop or ordered from somewhere online?

Have been doing a search for canine massage courses around Sydney but they're quite hard to find

There is a course offered by NCTM and they do a sydney one every year and it is about 4 minutes from my place. So there is a spare bed if you need it :confused:

www.nctm.com.au

I think that is the right link - if you search massage and look for a thread Schmoo started we discussed it there. All the feedback I have had is really really great (oh and I have dogs you can borrow :lol: )

There is a course offered by NCTM and they do a sydney one every year and it is about 4 minutes from my place. So there is a spare bed if you need it :(

www.nctm.com.au

I think that is the right link - if you search massage and look for a thread Schmoo started we discussed it there. All the feedback I have had is really really great (oh and I have dogs you can borrow :lol: )

Hi Winterpaws,thanks for that.I did actually email them late this afternoon to see when they were running there next course in Sydney and thankyou for your kind offer,i'll let you know how i get on

julie

I would reccomend a hands on course it is often easy to take in the theory throught text books but much diffrent putting your theory in to practice. I would recommend having suffered a bad experience myself that you research the course and institute thoroughly before handing over any money. Also ensure the course is accredited if you go into business you will need this to obtain insurance.

I would reccomend a hands on course it is often easy to take in the theory throught text books but much diffrent putting your theory in to practice. I would recommend having suffered a bad experience myself that you research the course and institute thoroughly before handing over any money. Also ensure the course is accredited if you go into business you will need this to obtain insurance.

kimjm,do you mind me asking if the course you had the bad experience with was a dog related course and who it was through.

I'm thinking of starting up another dog wash business(i've just sold one as we moved)and was thinking of offering massaging as an extra service but finding it difficult to find canine massage courses locally

julie

Im very interested, but had to put it on the back burner for a while now.

I bought a few books on the topic. But i think a hands on course would be best.

hi shmoo,

i'll let you know if i hear back about that course that they run in sydney once a year if you like

I just pay someone to do it on the dogs who is truley excellent.The way she does the technique compared to others is so different.

I will pay good money for the right person,infact i spend over $90 plus every 2 month for my dogs o have it done

Im very interested, but had to put it on the back burner for a while now.

I bought a few books on the topic. But i think a hands on course would be best.

hi shmoo,

i'll let you know if i hear back about that course that they run in sydney once a year if you like

sure :D

I just pay someone to do it on the dogs who is truley excellent.The way she does the technique compared to others is so different.

I will pay good money for the right person,infact i spend over $90 plus every 2 month for my dogs o have it done

I have a myotherapist come here to massage my two big dogs. I was having them done every week and it made a huge difference. Haven't had them done for a couple of months now but it's time to start again.

The myotherapist is able to pinpoint any trouble spots and she concentrates on those spots as well as giving the dogs a full body massage. It's money well spent IMO.

thanks for the reply,are there any other books you could recommend as well and would i just get them from a book shop or ordered from somewhere online?

Most of them can be found on amazon at very good prices. Of the top of my head one by "Goody" (surname) is good but there are many others, just do a google search.

kimjm,do you mind me asking if the course you had the bad experience with was a dog related course and who it was through.

I'm thinking of starting up another dog wash business(i've just sold one as we moved)and was thinking of offering massaging as an extra service but finding it difficult to find canine massage courses locally

I got done over by the same course and fortunately it is no longer available.

I have done the NCTM course (not the intensive one though - but assume the same just over longer time) and found it quite good (particularly the instuctor - she was a wealth of knowledge). It is only a basic start, but gives a good foundation of skills for you to use. You get a canine anatomy book with this course if you do it ("Dog Anatomy - A coloring atlas"). If you do the NCTM course you would get the most out of it if you already know where all the muscles are (ie studying an anatomy book first).

Most of them can be found on amazon at very good prices. Of the top of my head one by "Goody" (surname) is good but there are many others, just do a google search.

I got done over by the same course and fortunately it is no longer available.

I have done the NCTM course (not the intensive one though - but assume the same just over longer time) and found it quite good (particularly the instuctor - she was a wealth of knowledge). It is only a basic start, but gives a good foundation of skills for you to use. You get a canine anatomy book with this course if you do it ("Dog Anatomy - A coloring atlas"). If you do the NCTM course you would get the most out of it if you already know where all the muscles are (ie studying an anatomy book first).

thanks for the info ,i'm still waiting for them to email me back regarding any courses they may be running in Sydney

I might get a few books first than ,also found this one

http://www.ozdoggy.com.au/webapps/site/214...html?pid=272931

do you think it would be o.k too?

cheers

julie

Out of interest, why do people have their dogs massaged and what do the dogs get out of it??

For many of the same reasons humans will get a massage. There are many physiological and psychological benefits that can be achieved from massage. Many people will have it done for different reasons - below is a short list of why some people have had it done.

To spoil their dog - "feel good"

Pre &/or post surgery (eg from knee reconstruction)

Muscle tightness/soreness eg limping.

Sporting dogs to improve and maintain flexibility and balance

Behavioural problems eg fear/aggression

Help with old injuries eg scar tissue thats causing movement issues.

General health and fitness.

I emailed NCTM asking about a short course for pet owners, at Charmhaven, which would be ideal as we have a holiday house at Budgewoi :laugh: . The reply was "not yet but maybe in the future". Hopefully they get enough enquiries and run one.My dog has HD and the physio gave us some massgae techniques. She lies there in absolute bliss. As soon as I get out her mat she goes and gets ready to lie down on it. It's good for bonding too ;)