Dog Food Advice For Itchy Boy

My vet has told me to try (for 3 weeks) cooked Roo meat and boiled, mashed potatoes. I normally feed my boy raw chicken meat, wings and carcasses and some none wheat kibble. Do you think I could feed him raw roo (instead of cooked) and boiled spuds? This whole exercise is to start feeding new foods to see if his foods have been causing his itchy, red skin. He is a Wire Haired Fox Terrier.

I would more inclined to say the diet is lacking in essential fatty acids inwhich many wirehaired dogs require high off.

Besides the chicken what else do you give??

I would be giving a flax seed sup & a great one is omega pet granules available from all goo dhealth stores.

The roo meat & potatoe is a good way to determine issues but i would never feed that amount of chicken product to our dogs daily.

Loraine your vet is possibly suggesting cooking the roo to expell the fat from the meat and/or kill any bacteria in the raw meat.

For this 3 week period you should also stop any supplementation youre giving your dog if you want to be strict about an elminination diet.

Loraine your vet is possibly suggesting cooking the roo to expell the fat from the meat and/or kill any bacteria in the raw meat.

For this 3 week period you should also stop any supplementation youre giving your dog if you want to be strict about an elminination diet.

Thanks peigirl - appreciate that! No supplements for him, but I will continue to feed them to the foster boy :thumbsup:

I have a Frenchy boy that was scratching himself red raw and also getting large Hot Spots. I took him to many vets to no avail, the put him on "special" dietary foods such as Science Diet ZD, but that did no good and he didn't like it much anyway, then they tried cortisone which I hated giving him.

I then changed to Advance Turkey and Rice and now use it for all my dogs, it is brilliant and no more itching. I also changed my shampoo to one you can buy from Health Shops, it's called Paws, you can also buy it on TVSN.com.au. But now I use a cheaper option that is homemade by a Groomer friend and is Olive Oil based. He never itches now, so could be worth trying the Paws shampoo.

I have a Frenchy boy that was scratching himself red raw and also getting large Hot Spots. I took him to many vets to no avail, the put him on "special" dietary foods such as Science Diet ZD, but that did no good and he didn't like it much anyway, then they tried cortisone which I hated giving him.

I then changed to Advance Turkey and Rice and now use it for all my dogs, it is brilliant and no more itching. I also changed my shampoo to one you can buy from Health Shops, it's called Paws, you can also buy it on TVSN.com.au. But now I use a cheaper option that is homemade by a Groomer friend and is Olive Oil based. He never itches now, so could be worth trying the Paws shampoo.

Thanks pugsnfrenchies, I will try that shampoo and see the vet about trying Advance Turkey and Rice, although Zedley is not keen on kibble type foods.

we had to take Lola to the vets here in Moree (wonderful when you are on holiday) over her rash that has erupted again.. he says it is an allergy, as there are no parasites and he went over her from head to toe.. and if it was a parasite then the problem child would have had it too..

Has placed her on cortizone for a few weeks and we have to see what it is that is exacerbating it he seems to think that it is beef.. poor baby is NOT HAPPY :rolleyes:

So now we start the exclusion diet to see what works and what dosent.. bloody hell..

Any ideas guys.. poor little doggie..all bubbled, blistered and itchy..

Completely off topic.

Loraine were you posting previously that you were worried about your dog being very upset when you bring a foster into your home?

If that was you - how is he going with the foster you have now?

Try Aloveen shampoo, and certified aloe vera juice in his diet - just a splash in his water or in his food daily. Also aloe vera gel on the itchy spots.

When Keg had this as a little tacker we also put a little singlet on him to stop him licking off the gel (not that that was a problem), but it also sort of acted like a pressure bandage and he seemed more comfortable.

A new vet saw him at the time (one who we since have not seen since) advised changing his diet to the Science Diet ZD - if you compare its ingredients to the normal SD stuff there's bugger all difference. :D I fail to see how MORE chemicals/artificial stuff can help pinpoint an issue.