Topic Deleted

labsrus

I agree speak to the breeder but i presume your sister was well aware that Boxers can be very stubbon,full one & tough.

The breeder should be your first call,its important they are told of any issue syou are having as they now the pup in question & the parents ,they also now there breed.

She needs to sort out this behaviour ASAP. Pups grow quickly and she does NOT want to be dealing with this in any dog, let alone a boxer-sized dog.

After talking with the breeder and following their advice, if she's still have difficulties, it's time to bring in the professionals. Ask back here for a referral in her area (hopefully).

Can you be a bit more specific about what pup is doing with the 5 year old? Other dogs?

How many in the family, how much time alone the puppy spends most days etc.?

Do speak to the breeder.

she is placing the puppy in time out as soon as she shows this behaviour

This may work with an older dog, or a different problem, but if this was my pup, I would grasp the skin on the back of the neck - a good handful, and shake the pup from side to side, growling when I did it. Each and every time the pup behaves aggressively.

When the punishment is finished, no time out, simply behave as if nothing had happened.

If your sister is going to do this, be aware that the puppy may try to bite her - or anything else which is close, depending on temperament. She needs a good grip on the skin at the back of the neck, as the pup may twist and try to escape, and she needs to ensure the pup does not bite her. Keep the nose facing away from her.

Continue shaking until the growling stops. Some pups stop immediately, some want to fight a bit. Just depends on the pup.

It is a dominant pup, hopefully of good temperament, and it needs to learn that your sister calls the shots. Before it gets much bigger!!

The day I brought home my current boy (about 4 mths old) and I put him out with my other dogs he reacted the same, especially towards my 1yr old male. The older dogs ignored it and pretty soon they were all friends. He would also growl at the other pups at puppy preschool. The trainer was very good about it and worked towards allowing him off lead with the quieter, less pushy pups. With him it is not dominance, but a fear response. Even now he growls at bigger, pushier dogs, but will tolerate less pushy/threatening dogs.

Though he never, ever growled at any family member and has never attacked another (not that I would ever let him get into such a position). He is great with the puppies we have here and puts up with their nonsense. I think my boy got this way at the breeders, as he was put in pen with an slightly older, very dominant pup who used to bully him.

Good luck with your sister's pup. I would say get in a professional now to sort this out asap. If she is not confident she can control him perhaps she should return the pup and wait for another.

Edited by badboyz