Deleted

I am surprised the dog was not treated with vitamin K immediately after it was noted he had ingested rat sack regardless of him not showing any symptoms. ;)

As a Vet nurse we had several come in after ingesting rat sack. Their survival tended to rely on the amount eaten and the time before treatment commenced.

Older rat baits contain large amounts of warfarin an anticoagulant.

Anyone correct me if i'm wrong but I think the newer baits have anticholinestase poisons that dont involve impairing coagulation.

Assuming he has warfarin poisoning, the antidote is vitamin k but I believe the only way to determine if enough vit k has been given is an INR (blood test), the same as humans taking therapeutic warfarin get.

Goodluck and best wishes for a quick recovery for your pup. :rolleyes:

There was someone on here awhile ago who dog had eatten rat bait and I can't remember their name.

I think the person may have lived in France and use to frequent the forum.

It was a long long thread - and her dog to recover but he did and he was 100% last time I remember her posting anything.

I will have search and see if I can find it but some older Doler's might remember the thread I am talking about?

(PS - sorry to hear about your other dog and I hope your boy pulls through.)

Edited by Ci

I think you'd need to buy or hire a crate to keep him quiet. Large size for kelpie, I think. I had XL for a standard poodle (about 30kg as adult). Put bed in there etc.

If you buy one, it shouldn't be too hard to sell again, especially if you keep it in good condition. About $130 for that size. Hard to keep a kelpie quiet as he doesn't know he's sick :rolleyes: .

A friend of mine's dog had rat bait poisoning a few months ago. Apparantly it can take a very long time to get out of the dog's system. She has to have blood tests to confirm if it is still there or not.

Sorry for your loss Kneecole. Hope your boy pulls through.

I found it but I don't know how to put the link up on a post.

It was in this section by Pampa "Maybe Not Rat Bait?" on 11 Feb 2006.

There might be something in there that can help your boy heal faster.

I found it but I don't know how to put the link up on a post.

It was in this section by Pampa "Maybe Not Rat Bait?" on 11 Feb 2006.

There might be something in there that can help your boy heal faster.

Have a look here

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your poor dogs :rolleyes:

My little Schipperke (unbeknownst to me) ate rat bait. I only realised there was a problem when she was very quiet one day and I noticed some bruising on the inside of her hind leg. I took her to the vet who clipped the leg off and found that the subcutaneous haemorrhage covered the whole thigh inside and out. They did a clot test and diagnosed rat bait poisoning. She was placed on Vitamin K tablets and over the next few days the bruising spread over more of her body but she didn't bleed from anywhere else.

I just kept her shut inside and didn't let her run round outside at all. I toileted her on lead. After a month of Vitamin K she recovered with no apparent lasting effects. Four years later she's doing just fine at the age of 10.

I hope everything turns out ok with your pup...

Older baits are generally warfarin (although warfarin baits are definitely still available), while the newer ones are coumarin based - usually brodifacoum.

Warfarin is quick acting, but the effects are usually short lived - so in most cases 7-10 days of treatment is enough if you KNOW that it was warfarin involved. Brodifacoum etc are cumulative and the effects may not be seen for some time (up to 2 weeks) after ingestion and treatment for this particular group needs to continue for several weeks. Generally the newer baits don't induce secondary poisoning (ie. dog eating dead rat) unless there is some undigested bait still available.

Definitely worth rechecking, and checking either clotting time in, or getting blood sent off to check the clotting factors etc.