Rollerblading With Your Dog?

I bought some cheap rollerblades...with the idea of running/blading with the dogs - just wondering if anyone here does it?

I'll be running with Bronx to start with as he'll stop if told - or if i fall over :thumbsup: I might save running Sabe that way until i know what i'm doing...lol. I've got harnesses which i think i'll use for this along with a collar if needs be - just thought it was a great way of running with them. Will also look at doing it with the bike but thought i'd give blading a go with them as well :)

So...does anyone else run their dogs that way? or is looking to? :)

KitKat, I can't believe you're trying to achieve the same thing I am. I too went out and bought a cheap pair of roller blades last week and as soon as I master staying upright, I plan on taking my dogs with me.

I watch Cesar Milan do it with about 10 dogs and it looks like fun!!

Hey, maybe we can compare injuries :thumbsup:

I have just finished watching the first series of Cesar and thought what a fantastic idea it was. You will have to tell us how you go!!

I use the bike alot but i think i may have more control on the roller blades with multiple dogs. Might have to go and find some :thumbsup:

While I love rollerblading, there is no way I would be trying it with the dogs! :thumbsup: The brakes on rollerblades are not very good (I also confess to not being all that great :) ) and sometimes I end up having to use the grass or a pole to stop myself - can only imagine what it would be like if I also had 14 - 30kg of dog with me :)

2 of my friends do it regularly, one has a mastiff and the other has a border collie. They love it and say it is super fun for both them and thier dogs. Surprisingly neither of them have ever fallen off. They blade about 3km to a school then go into the asphelt area and have races! They crouch right down and say that it enables their dogs to get up much more speed.

I dont think I will be trying it any time soon with my banana brain staffies.

Hmmmmm... have done it with Tubby, the Curly Coated Retriever that my parent's own - it was fun - he's around 40KG's and likes to pull :laugh: - FAST! - haven't thought to try it with my 2 - hmmm... will have to go dig out those Blades of mine, and give it a go around home!!! If you think the dogs will pull you, knee/elbow/wrist pads are a MUST!

-WithEverythingIAm

I've always liked the idea of teaching my dog to pull me on a skateboard. It seems like it would be great exercise for the dog. I can't teach it to my current dog as he's too old to go running on concrete, but I'll definately try it out when my next dog is old enough.

I'm not sure I'd try walking a dog on rollerblades, though. What would you do if the dog ever decided to bolt? You'd end up on your behind, or else pulled into the traffic. At least with a skateboard you can jump off it.

I'm a terrible blader though, so perhaps if you're any good it's not as dangerous as I'm thinking. :laugh:

I had the same idea as you Amhailte

I tried the skateboarding first figuring I could just jump off. I did alright with the dogs to start with, encouraging them along with a tennis ball thrown ahead to keep them pulling in harnesses. But it took alot of effort for me to keep them pulling, I don't think they liked doing it, and they ending up going slow and me pushing myself along beside them. What killed the idea was when Texas slowed right down and I thought I was about to run over him, I had both feet on the board, just kinda gliding along, and I bent down to move Texas' ass out of the way, forgetting about the whole physics of it, I totally lost my balance, ended up head over heels. It would have been a great funniest home video moment, including grazes. At least no dogs were harmed.

So then I decided roller blading was the way to go! And never had a problem when I did that. These days I just take the safe option and run on foot :(