Dew Claw Removal?

I have had a few hind dew claws removed on rescue dogs, takes the same amount as desexing, stitches stay in for 10 days and a elizabethan collar is a must...

Edited by varicool

My neighbour, a dog trainer, has a rescue lagotto, who she had desexed last year, and at the same time had her front dews removed. From what is saw and was told, it didnt bother a bit. She had her 'wrists' bandaged for a week with vetwrap and had no ill effects. She was a nutcase before and still is....

I would imagine that Atlas would probably not leave his bandages alone, but it can be done.

If i had a large/heavy dog as a pup i would definitely consider having them removed when desexing.

For fluffies (i know a bit OT), i have seen so many dews, front and back, grown so long they turn around and go into the pad. It has taken me up to half an hour to carefully trim away some nails on some doggie clients. They are particularly prone to having problems if not trimmed regularly. Especially the back legs on fluffy mixes. I tell clients with these types of dogs, if they arent going to get me in every couple of weeks to trim them, or trim them themselves, then they should consider having them removed.

Loads of large dogs i wash have front dews removed, seemingly with no ill effects.

If, heaven forbid, my retired greys had to go under for any reason, i would consider having their dews removed. Man they can hurt.....

Edited by Peachie

I've had older dogs front dewclaws removed, with no serious issues and had no need for the elizabethan collar.

All healed up ok and the dog was bak to it's old tricks in no time :rofl:

I strongly believe in removing dewlaws I've seen what can happen if they're left on particularly on the more robust dog :eek:

The first time I went to clip my pup's claws - I was so confused because I couldn't find his dewclaws.

I looked up the documentation the breeder gave me and sure enough, they had been removed.

Is this standard practice for Tenterfield Terrier pups?

The first time I went to clip my pup's claws - I was so confused because I couldn't find his dewclaws.

I looked up the documentation the breeder gave me and sure enough, they had been removed.

Is this standard practice for Tenterfield Terrier pups?

Deltron, my TT doesn't have them either. The breeder got them removed.

A lot of breeders clip them off, I think its a good thing....

So they can just clip the whole thing off when the pups are little? I suppose the dew claw wouldn't really be developed properly and would be tiny so it woudn't really hurt them?

How interesting.

Is there actually a purpose for dew claws or are they just one of those useless things, like an appendix or tonsils? :eek:

A lot of breeders clip them off, I think its a good thing....

So they can just clip the whole thing off when the pups are little? I suppose the dew claw wouldn't really be developed properly and would be tiny so it woudn't really hurt them?

How interesting.

Is there actually a purpose for dew claws or are they just one of those useless things, like an appendix or tonsils? :rofl:

Dew claws can just be cut off with scissors by the breeder up to 5 days of age. I used to always remove them, and there was no fuss about it, however I believe Vets take to making it a big ordeal, general anasthetics, stitches bandages etc, it is all ridiculous when it is a painless & simple procedure when done at the right time.........I stopped removing mine a while ago, and ever since then I have had a run of eye injuries all caused by another dogs dew claw, when they are playing & rumbling or up on their back legs they often cop a scratch & quickly turn into eye ulcers!!! :eek:

I intended to have the standard poodle's front ones removed when he was desexed at 6 months.

Vet talked me out of it: He basically didn't like doing it other than on a very young pup, or, for a good reason (very high injury risk with the type that are poorly attached) . He said it's best done on pups only a few days old when it's only a very minor procedure.

For our dog it would have involved dislocating the joint, then amputating the claws, stitches etc. Vet reckoned they'd be sore afterwards, also, as it wasn't going to be a minor procedure on our 20kg dog.

Decided to do as the vet suggested because Charlie's dewclaws sat in quite close to the leg and were well-attached. Normally covered in fur, also. He'd have difficulty getting them caught on anything other than my brush :) .

He still wont let me near it, if he is still grumbling tomorrow i will take him to work and see if my dear boss and her OH can muzzle him and check them out, he wont let me touch at all :)

If still looking bad, i will book in, if not, necxt time they have to go under i will get them removed

ok, i THINK i am going to ring the vets on monday and have a chat - see if i can get them BOTH booked in and done - Atlas also needs his nails cut right back, see if i can get 2 dogs for cheap :)

will see what they say and make my mind up, feeling a bit bad booking them in when there is nothing really wrong with them, but Ats nails are pretty bad and do need to be done, ARGH someone tell me i am doing the right thing?

TB Atlas won't be able to have his nails cut right back, only back to where the quick starts. Otherwise he wil have bleeders that are damn hard to stop.

A vet nurse cut the nail right back on my friends dog and she ended up by having to take the dog back that night to have it cauterised because it kept bleeding.

yeah, sorry, thats what i ment, as short as i can - he has long quicks and it is hard to get them as short as you can. He has a problem with his feet being touched, this claw being hurt is not going to help him get over that now :)