Joint Care

I have been looking at all the joint care products and am wondering if anyone has one in particular one that they think is the better.

I have been using Blackmores Glucosamine capsules and opening and sprinkling on their food, the vet said this was okay.

But I am now looking at getting the Glucosamine and Chondroitin as it works better.

My dilemma is which one to go for out of. Blackmores, Joint Guard , Pernaease or there are also lots of other makes of Vitamins Brands that you can purchase.

There is also quite a price difference as the human ones seem to work out cheaper than the animal ones, but isn't that always the way.

But I understand that the human one's are fine to use.

Have used Joint Guard and it has the correct amount of Glucosamine & Chondroitin for use in animals. I looked at using the human products, but it wasnt the right amount for a dog, it worked out to be a higher amount of powder.

I am a Joint Guard convert, have seen brilliant results on Mum's Labrador & Cattle Dog.

Joint Guard is reasonably priced, it says on the 400g tub that it lasts a 20kg about 6 months.

I have been looking at all the joint care products and am wondering if anyone has one in particular one that they think is the better.

I have been using Blackmores Glucosamine capsules and opening and sprinkling on their food, the vet said this was okay.

But I am now looking at getting the Glucosamine and Chondroitin as it works better.

My dilemma is which one to go for out of. Blackmores, Joint Guard , Pernaease or there are also lots of other makes of Vitamins Brands that you can purchase.

There is also quite a price difference as the human ones seem to work out cheaper than the animal ones, but isn't that always the way.

But I understand that the human one's are fine to use.

Are you using as a preventative or does your pet already have arthritis?

If Preventative, then any 1000mg capsule of Glucosamine every 2nd day, and fish oil twice a week.

If already has arthritis and the others don't seem to be doing anything, then course of either cartrophen injection, or sylvet capsules, then maintainence dose of 1 lot/month after course.

-WithEverythingIAm

I use it as a preventative measure, using a glucosamine capsule (hydrochloride - human one) once/twice a week and msm (human grade, animal supplement) which also aids in the absorbtion of glucosamine.

Well Glucosamine helps to reconstruct the damaged joint, and keeping the remaining cartilage cells healthy & Chondroitin blocks enzymes that break down the cartilage.

From what I have read online there are studies that show that a combination of the two works best together.

Makes sense doesnt it?

Whats the point in reconstructing the joint, when there are enzymes that will break down the cartilage that has just be rebuilt?

Ahh but there is a point to using Glucosamine on it own :laugh: unlike your first statement there is a benefit to using it on it's own or not :)

Could you please explain what you mean. I bolded the part I don't understand.

I was told by the orthosurgeon who operated on my Rottweiler to give Glucosamine and Chondroitin daily. We were using Cosequin at the time. We did discuss human products at the time and he said there was no point in giving Glucosamine without Chondroitin. He also said a product that included MSM as well was preferred.

I now use Joint Guard because it has all 3 ingredients and is formulated for dogs. I follow the prescribed dose for her weight.

We did do a course of Cartrophen injections but we saw no benefit at all. We did another course 6 months later and had no visible benefit. Some dogs seem to benefit but unfortunately for us, my girl doesn't.

I was only outlining that Bostongirl's statement of feeding glucosamine alone was worthless (or actually 'pointless') was incorrect :)

Though glucosamine acts more effectively when used in conjunction with an adequate source of sulfur (MSM)

I was only outlining that Bostongirl's statement of feeding glucosamine alone was worthless (or actually 'pointless') was incorrect :laugh:

Though glucosamine acts more effectively when used in conjunction with an adequate source of sulfur (MSM)

Aha! Gotcha now. Thanks :)

Mine get one tablet of Bio-organics Glucosamine Sulfate 750 + Chondroitin 400 per day.

http://www.bio-organics.com.au/prod_detail...></ul>

I checked wit the vet that this is OK :( I use it as a preventative...

Did the Vet say anything about absorption of a human product compared to animal product, this is where i am getting confused.

Some are saying that the human product does not work as well in a dog as a human.

;)

Mine get one tablet of Bio-organics Glucosamine Sulfate 750 + Chondroitin 400 per day.

http://www.bio-organics.com.au/prod_detail...></ul>

I checked wit the vet that this is OK :D I use it as a preventative...

Did the Vet say anything about absorption of a human product compared to animal product, this is where i am getting confused.

Some are saying that the human product does not work as well in a dog as a human.

:laugh:

No Sorry, but two different vets said this was ok to give... They just looks at the amounts of Glucosamine on the bottle.