Chicken Carcass

Our Airedale bitch is now 5 months old and I am nearly ready to cut her down to 2 meals a day.

I was wondering how often is it ok to giver her a chicken carcass for tea? She is getting one every second day at the moment and she loves them.

Is one a day too many or will that be ok?

Dogfish

It depends on what else you're feeding her, i.e what other meaty bones do you give her and how often? Chicken is a good source of protein but IMO variety is important. Billinghurst says that we aim to feed a 'nutritionally balanced' diet over time, say a couple of weeks - therefore, we offer different foods to achieve that 'balance' that processed foods claim to have (IMO they aren't balanced to suit the canine's digestive system). If chicken is the only meaty bone you offer, then I'd suggest having a look at offering some lamb, beef and perhaps pork (just don't overdo the pork initially as it can cause digestive upsets in some dogs). :p

Thanks for the answers so far everyone.

She did start on Advance which she still gets about 50% of the time.

I have introduced hard boiled eggs, sardines(which she goes nuts over) and if we ever have meat like chops or roast lamb / beef she gets a raw porton of that as well. Also vegies when we have them and she also seems to love apple. I am trying to apply a variety of food and am leaning towards the BARF diet.

If I give her a carcass she will usually get it with some rice or spaghetti as a filler.

I just need to research it some more then prepare for it. Probably have the dry food as a standby.

One other question I do have is what is a meaty bone as opposed to a normal bone? Is a lamb shank/neck considered a meaty bone?

Dogfish

Thanks for the answers so far everyone.

She did start on Advance which she still gets about 50% of the time.

I have introduced hard boiled eggs, sardines(which she goes nuts over) and if we ever have meat like chops or roast lamb / beef she gets a raw porton of that as well. Also vegies when we have them and she also seems to love apple. I am trying to apply a variety of food and am leaning towards the BARF diet.

If I give her a carcass she will usually get it with some rice or spaghetti as a filler.

One other question I do have is what is a meaty bone as opposed to a normal bone? Is a lamb shank/neck considered a meaty bone?

Dogfish

You raise a few ideas of concern to me. Firstly, dogs don't need cooked foods and cooking eggs isn't something I'd recommend. Offer them raw, no more than once a week or so if you wish to feed them (most raw/BARF feeders give eggs). Vegies are also offered raw, pulped or processed, and some fruits can go into this mix. Please stop feeding "rice or spaghetti as a filler" as this replicates what processed foods do and the dog simply can't digest this well at all. If you want to give your dog a "filler"...um, I'm not actually sure why you'd want to do this? Why not simply feed foods that the dog can fully digest and gain all the nutrition available? :p

Lamb shanks aren't ideal meaty bones IMO. Lamb neck/neck chops and lamb flap are better examples IMO. Basically a meaty bone is just that - bone with lots of meat, and the bone should be easily and readily eaten and digested. Softer bones in preference to harder bones. :confused:

The only reason I have given boiled egg so far is that I read there may be a danger of salmonella poisoning from the shell. Does this apply to dogs as well?

As far as rice or spag goes, she may had had that maybe a dozen times so far. I will cut it out. I should also add that her vegies have been raw but I think they need to be mushed?

Dogfish

Some people put veg in a blender or puree raw. I can vouch for the fact that corn and carrot tend to come straight out the other end-whole and undigested- if in larger pieces :) . Sometimes starchy veg are good for dogs who need to lose weight.

Some people feed raw, whole eggs- shell and all. I don't know whether or not it's a good idea, though :confused: .

Have a look here: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=81686. Shmoo's added lots of info about various foods/ toxins for dogs :p . Lots of other useful info., too.

I'm off to try and find a pic on DOL of your airedale- great -looking dogs.

Some people put veg in a blender or puree raw. I can vouch for the fact that corn and carrot tend to come straight out the other end-whole and undigested- if in larger pieces :) . Sometimes starchy veg are good for dogs who need to lose weight.

Some people feed raw, whole eggs- shell and all. I don't know whether or not it's a good idea, though :confused: .

Have a look here: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=81686. Shmoo's added lots of info about various foods/ toxins for dogs :p . Lots of other useful info., too.

I'm off to try and find a pic on DOL of your airedale- great -looking dogs.

Ours had some leftover corn once and it came out whole embedded in her stools, also she loves getting into the malted grain which also passes out whole.

I have to really watch her with the grain. She knows she is in trouble if she goes anywher near it. ;) And she only ever had corn once.

She has certainly stolen egg shells from the rubbish before.

I have only ever posted a picture of her when we first got her at 8 weks old.

this picture is more current. Taken about 2 weeks ago. She is 5 months old now

post-16793-1185084549_thumb.jpg

Chicken Carcasses are fine. :p

If you are looking for other meaty bones try brisket bones and Lamb flaps they have a lot of meat and are quite fibrous.

If I were you I would be feeding raw egg without the shell once a week in conjunction with sardines.

Kind Regards,

Josh Grant

Edited because I can't spell

Edited by Joshua Grant

The only reason I have given boiled egg so far is that I read there may be a danger of salmonella poisoning from the shell. Does this apply to dogs as well?

As far as rice or spag goes, she may had had that maybe a dozen times so far. I will cut it out. I should also add that her vegies have been raw but I think they need to be mushed?

Dogfish

Dogs aren't susceptible to salmonella. They have shorter bowels so the bacteria doesn't have the chance to multiply the way it does in the human gut. Many raw/BARF feeders give their dogs whole raw eggs - yep, the dog eats the shell and all.

Veg should be pulped or processed, so either a juicer or food processor is useful there. Veg only makes up a small proportion of the diet. I probably give my dogs veg/fruit pulp two or three times per week at most. Sometimes they go for a month with nil and then I'll give them a serve a day for a few days or give them three serves equally spaced in a week or so.

Rice and pasta can cause digestive issues in some dogs...which is why a lot of dogs have loose poo when they're fed processed dry food of the cheaper variety.

Dogfish

Salmonella... what do you mean. Dog eat putrefied meat. Come and have a look at

the country dogs pinching dead carcases

of the road. Yes been their for days in a hot

Queensland summer. Road kill, yum, mums not looking.

edited cause I carn't spell

Edited by oakway

Many raw/BARF feeders give their dogs whole raw eggs - yep, the dog eats the shell and all.

I used to crack it open and pour it over their meal, over time i gradually left the egg more and more intact until they now eat it whole, not swallowed whole :D, they bite on it till the egg comes out then they eat the shell :laugh:

All good and well. Some good advice.

I still don't see a problem with giving her hard boiled eggs though. Does something happen in the cooking process that changes the egg's composition?

She also loves fried eggs which she has had a few times before as well.

If I do introduce something new in her diet it is minimal and I always see how she reacts to it. So far she has had good solid stools and so problems as far as I can see.

I dont have a problem with giving her raw egg now that I know it is ok she will get it. I am trying to give her a good balanced dog diet.

Dogfish

Whenever i feed something to my dogs i am thinking if wolves would be eating it.

Raw eggs, yes.....cooked eggs no....it is much better for them to have raw eggs. Cooking pretty much everything makes the food lose nutrients.

Yep, my opinion is that dogs can't cook so why would they want cooked foods? Whenever my dogs have had something that's been cooked, they tend to smell bad for a day or two and their system seems out of balance in that their poo changes consistency and volume.

Raw = best IMO. And my dogs seem to agree! :thumbsup: