Vaccinations

Hi ,just wondering does anyone know where i can get my litter of puppies firts vaccinations cheap rather than going through a vet,as we all know how much it costs when we take a litter in .

Thanks heaps guys.

Why would you not want to take the pups to the vet for their first vaccination? Firstly vets know what they are doing, I would not have anyone who wasn't totally qualified vaccinate my pups. Also while the pups are getting their vaccinations the vet usually does a general health check, so you are getting the pups looked over to check there are no major problems and they are all healthy. Vets might cost money, but it is worth it!

I Agree :thumbsup:

Why would you not want to take the pups to the vet for their first vaccination? Firstly vets know what they are doing, I would not have anyone who wasn't totally qualified vaccinate my pups. Also while the pups are getting their vaccinations the vet usually does a general health check, so you are getting the pups looked over to check there are no major problems and they are all healthy. Vets might cost money, but it is worth it!

Hi ,just wondering does anyone know where i can get my litter of puppies firts vaccinations cheap rather than going through a vet,as we all know how much it costs when we take a litter in .

Thanks heaps guys.

Depending on where you are, but if you are in NSW they have to be microchipped also. Puppy buyers want the assurance that teh pup has been Vet checked, and have a Vaccination card issued.

Thanks heaps guys.

Yes my puppies have been vet checked and i have a vet nurse who will be adminitering the injections and i will be getting them chipped as well.Im in country victoria and i do beleive there are other kennels that do the same ,but i dont have there contacts so hthat was where i thought some body may be able to help me out .Thanks heaps

mjaay

The long answer:

I wouldn't want to be your vet nurse if something goes wrong.

If a vet nurse does the vaccinations (once you find some way to obtain a prescription animal remedy without going through a registered veterinarian) you will not be able to provide legal proof of vaccination either. Just because people do things on the cheap does not mean it is the right thing, or even (and most disturbingly) the best thing for the puppies - just take a deep breath and take them to a vet for vaccinations, most will offer a litter rate at a discount price.

The short answer:

Just don't.

Edited by Rappie

The long answer:

I wouldn't want to be your vet nurse if something goes wrong.

If a vet nurse does the vaccinations (once you find some way to obtain a prescription animal remedy without going through a registered veterinarian) you will not be able to provide legal proof of vaccination either. Just because people do things on the cheap does not mean it is the right thing, or even (and most disturbingly) the best thing for the puppies - just take a deep breath and take them to a vet for vaccinations, most will offer a litter rate at a discount price.

The short answer:

Just don't.

Hi there thanks for that ,but how come people in melbourne can buy this over the counter?And yes from a vets point of view i would not have expected any different answerand i didnt realise a nurse could not do this type of thing ,but thank you for that bit of usfull information.

Thanks heaps

mjaay

If you ring around you will be able to find a vet that will charge you a discount rate for a whole litter.

The vaccines sold over the counter is not the same as the vaccines given by a vet. The vaccines that the vets use are not permitted to be sold over the counter.

If you are selling these pups, it is important that you have them seen by a vet and issue a vaccination certificate with the pup when it goes to its new home. Responsible buyers will insist on it, and I am sure that you want your pups to be bought be responsible buyers.

Hi there thanks for that ,but how come people in melbourne can buy this over the counter?And yes from a vets point of view i would not have expected any different answerand i didnt realise a nurse could not do this type of thing ,but thank you for that bit of usfull information.

Thanks heaps

mjaay

No one can buy Drugs over the counter like this. You can buy Parvac online (which is the vaccine for Parvo), but you can not buy any other canine Vaccine. Anyone who administers their own vaccines have no Vaccination card which means No proof the pup was ever done! It doesnt cost much to have them done probably $50-$60 per pup for both Vaccination & Microchip.

You'll also need to attend a clinic to have their microchips done.

Only registered implanters (Veterinarians OR Cert IV Vet Nurses with accreditation under direct supervision of the Vet) may implant chips now.

Mel.

Hi ,but tell me what is with the Vic Dog add for purchasing chips in NSW, i'm let to believe that you have to watch the dvd and register for a no.and then you are able to do the implants yourself and i'm also gathering you can do the complete registration.Please tell me if this is true or not.

mjaay

Only registered implanters (Veterinarians OR Cert IV Vet Nurses with accreditation under direct supervision of the Vet) may implant chips now.

Mel.

Hi ,but tell me what is with the Vic Dog add for purchasing chips in NSW, i'm let to believe that you have to watch the dvd and register for a no.and then you are able to do the implants yourself and i'm also gathering you can do the complete registration.Please tell me if this is true or not.

mjaay

I saw that Add Too and thought I will do that ! When I rang the lass about the chipping system she said there is a tafe course in N.S.W but not in VIC. Only a VET can perform these acts in Victoria, but hey how many have witnessed Vet Nurses doing it at say the Million Paws Walk days I know I have and not a Vet in sight !

Oh, dear.

I wouldn't be entrusting the health and well-being of my pups to a vet nurse when a vet should be performing these tasks. To save a few dollars? How much are these little lives worth to you? Is it just about money, or do you love the dogs as well?

I'd never take a chance on my dogs' care. If that means spending a few extra dollars on having a VET perform certain tasks to care for them, then that's exactly what I do.

Most vets offer substantial discounts for genuine breeders in caring for litters of pups. I'd ask other breeders in your area for their recommendations if you're not sure where to start. :thumbsup:

Parvac is a killed vaccine that covers parvovirus only. The vaccines administered by veterinarians are modified live vaccines, which provide better protection and are multivalent thus cover multiple infectious diseases (including parvo).

just going back a bit, how come you can buy parvo vaccine online, and is that the same as at the vets. I thought all these vaccinations were only available and administered by vets.

There are alot of breeders/farmers that do their own medications.........Here is where you can get Parvac or Cat vaccinations at Vet Products Direct.... http://www.vetproductsdirect.com.au/items....amp;Tp=&Bc=

The trouble is if the dog has to go to a boarding kennel or training class it has no record of vaccination if done by the owner. Yes Parvac is a Brand that alot of Vets use! There is no where that you can buy the cocktails though, you can not get C3 or above, only Parvo or the Bortdatella ones for dogs.

Most breeders have a good relatuionship with their Vet, and many drugs will be given knowing that the Breeder knows when & how to use them , I often give oxytocin or Calcium injections to my girls during whelping for example.......

Mel.

mjaay

No you are no longer able to register with CAR- they won't accept your forms without a registered implanter ID. You must hold a BVSc. or a Cert IV in Vet Nursing AND be working under a Veterinarian to do the course.

Good luck trying to get a DVD. :thumbsup:

I'm really confused as to why you're bothering to vacc or chip at all if you desperately need to do it on the cheap...why bother? You obviously don't care that much about your litter anyway if you insist on doing everthing illegally. Why are you even breeding? :thumbsup:

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Being a breeder means you have expenses & no matter where you live you make arrangements to put yourself out & travel .

If your a reg breder then you haveto follow the COE set done by Vicdogs about selling pups

I'm really confused as to why you're bothering to vacc or chip at all if you desperately need to do it on the cheap...why bother? You obviously don't care that much about your litter anyway if you insist on doing everthing illegally. Why are you even breeding? :thumbsup:

That's my question too. Why are you breeding dogs if you're not prepared to pay for a qualified vet to vaccinate and chip? :thumbsup:

You mentioned that these pups have been vet checked. Was the check done by the vet nurse or has a qualified a veterinarian health checked the puppies?.