Please Help I'm Going Nuts.

Ahhh please can you help? I have a female Staffy who is around 14 months old. While she was an absolute terror puppy I thought we had gotten past it but the last fortnight she has been unbearable ...pulling washing off the line, mouthing people, giving the kids hell(not nasty but mouthing getting over them)), but the chewing is driving me nuts i mean I went to the bakery 10 minutes tops she ate my wallet, next day I had a shower she ate my sunnies(that would be the third pair since we got her it cost me 500+ to replace my reading glasses) we hve another staffy Paddy who is very close to angelic. So today we were going visiting so I packed them off to Grandma and Grandpas who love them like children(starting to think that might be part of my problem!) bought them home and they were home about an hour or so alone and she ate my phone (hadn't even made a payment on it yet!) and my and my sons sneakers. Ohh my god this is getting ridiculous. Please don't say put things up and but her a toy she has toys, she can go in and out as she pleases and she climbs up on tables to pinch thigns. She has had one phantom pregnancy and I reckon she coming in season again at the moment. Please help she lives inside sleeps on the end of the bed (in the blanket if she likes( Is she just to spoilt? Can I help her? Is it seperation anxiety ? PLEASE HELP. :thumbsup:

For a start if she is not being supervised I would put her somewhere she can't destroy anything - either outside, in the laundry, bathroom or in a crate. Don't give her the opportunity to destroy stuff.

Yep, Crate train, and buy her marrow bones. I get butcher to split them longways, then in half. She will chew those before anything else, but do not feed them to her around other Staff unless you want to come home to a dead one.

Chewing stage should be over soon. My Staff was around 19 months. Also magically overnight left washing alone.

Do not let her sleep on your bed if you want any sought of pack hierachy over her.

Thanks for the replies guys, I have her back in her own bed as sugested. Can anyone tell me why she suddenly just started doing it again? I thought we had sorted out who's boss. Just the last couple weeks this has started again.

Every dog goes through a chewing stage, some last longer than others.

Letting your dog sleep in "the bosses den" only gives the dog the impression that it is an equal, or at least higher on the pack ladder than the "outcasts" (kids) who sleep down the hall. Treat the couch with the same rules as the bed. Dog stays on floor.

I know its far too easy to want Staffy cuddles every time you look at them :thumbsup: but make them earn it with regular training. :rofl:

HI,

good start gettin the dog off your bed..thats gotta be the hardest thing isnt it??? I would suggest reading the triangle of temptation at the top of the training forum. Daily walking not only tires dogs out but helps to reinforce pack leadership(As long as you walk the dog to your side and NOT let her walk in front of you).

Its hard to treat your babies like DOGS but thats what they are. We need to give them discipline(not harsh) firstly before affection which is only for us anyway,they dont understand it.

I would reccommend crates if u have more than one dog. Use this time when not supervised to give her her own chew toys and bones etc. But i wouldnt let her take the bones out of the crate...Not when u have more than one dog.

GO THE STAFFIES ...mwah to ur babies im sure they r heavenly

Start treating your dog like a dog and give her some leadership.

If those things are there for her to chew, she will chew them, its simple really.

Shes a staffy, full of love, joy and chewingeverythingshecangetherteethinto itis. :thumbsup:

Why isnt she desexed? (unless your a registered breeder who breeds staffies, then get her done asap)

Crate train her, buy some nice chewy marrow bones and put her in there for chewing.

Dont let her have the run of the house, and definitely get her off your bed.

You need to be the leader and show her some rules otherwise you are going to have a very naughty, very big and heavy staffy to deal with. :rofl:

Try obedience classes as well. :eek:

Certainly not wanting to be atagonistic here at all..... but ,

My dogs sleep on my bed (well used to before I got my bootiful new BLACK & gold brocade bed set-Chop hair and black is not a good look ) and I have NO pack authority problems .Never had them at all come to think of it :thumbsup:

Every dog goes through a chewing stage, some last longer than others.

Letting your dog sleep in "the bosses den" only gives the dog the impression that it is an equal, or at least higher on the pack ladder than the "outcasts" (kids) who sleep down the hall. Treat the couch with the same rules as the bed. Dog stays on floor.

I know its far too easy to want Staffy cuddles every time you look at them :thumbsup: but make them earn it with regular training. :mad

I don't know about that, my dogs have always slept in my bed and I never have any leadership issues with them :thumbsup:

For a staffy I suggest getting a Staffy Ball and bones. Staffy balls are pretty much indestructable and she should be obsessed with it for hours! Bones are also great, especially the giant ones from the butchers, as not only do they occupy your pet but cleans their teeth as well!

--Edit--

Also my dogs do have the run of the house, and while we're going throught that chewing stage with our husky I make sure to put everything I value up nice and high so she can't reach it!

I have -never- had leadership issues with my dogs because they sleep on the bed or have the run of the house.. I believe its because I don't take crap from them :rofl: I'm not harsh to my dogs, but I'm firm - when they've done something wrong I am quick to correct them, and when they do something good they get the shit praised out of them! It just takes being consistent and vigilant and some time.. They learn to stop being so naughty :rofl:

Edited by Kowai

. Please don't say put things up and but her a toy she has toys, she can go in and out as she pleases and she climbs up on tables to pinch thigns.

Why is putting things up not an option? :thumbsup:

I think some dogs just chew things more than others. If you have a chewer then you need to make sure she can't get to anything that you don't want chewed.

When not supervised the only area of the house that our dogs have access to is our kitchen/family room. We keep this room pretty bare and we run with a clean bench policy as anything on them is fair game.

In our house, if either of the dogs chew something that they are not supposed to, the person who left it lying around gets told "well that was stupid of you wasn't it" :thumbsup:

My dogs sleep on my bed (well used to before I got my bootiful new BLACK & gold brocade bed set-Chop hair and black is not a good look ) and I have NO pack authority problems .Never had them at all come to think of it :thumbsup:

Okay, the original owner obviously lets the dog pretty much run wild, (eg, eating sunnies, glasses, chewing things, having the run of the house, jumping on tables, getting on the bed and under the blankets if she wants to ;) ).

To me its pretty obvious if the dog is chewing everything in sight, put things up out of her reach or put the dog out of their reach. :mad

My point being the dog needs leadership, get the dog off the bed and crate train her, at the moment the dog doesnt have a leader so does as she pleases.

I have a gorgeous staffy myself, I know what they are like. :rofl:

I never left her alone (the second time around anyway) if she chewed something (Im talking, pillows, her dog beds, table legs, toys, phone books, door step :rofl: ).

If she was unsupervised at home she would have chewed pretty much anything, so she was supervised, I put things up and away, and she could go in the lounge only with me. If I went out, she was put in the dog run with the other dog.

Up until a few months ago she chewed up every dog bed/cushion/pillow/blanket/doona she had, until she had to sleep on an el cheapo trampoline bed with no covers because of it.

She certainly does now not chew her one and only blanket, because I caught her and she went without it for a week. She is 2 in November.

I dont care if your dogs sleep on your bed, thats your choice....:D Im saying in general the owner needs to establish some pack authority, and for a start its off the bed and crate train her, limited/supervised access to the house, and some training. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies guys, I have her back in her own bed as sugested. Can anyone tell me why she suddenly just started doing it again? I thought we had sorted out who's boss. Just the last couple weeks this has started again.

Training and leadership isn't a one-off. Most dogs test the boundaries from time to time, even once they are mature. The main thing is to be consistent and make sure that when they do test, you don't buckle.

Part of the problem is that she's been allowed to get away with it often enough that it's become self-reinforcing (ie, she's discovered how fun ordinary household objects are to chew). It's much easier if they never get a chance to discover that.

I would chuck her in a room like a laundry when you're not around to supervise and put everything up and away behind latchable doors, unplug the appliances, give her a marrow bone etc.

Unless you plan to spray your entire house with bitters (and that doesn't work with some dogs anyway) you cannot leave her alone and expect your possessions to be safe.

Can anyone tell me why she suddenly just started doing it again?

Hhhhmmm .... let me count the possible reasons :-

• She's 14 months old and hit adolesence. She's pushing your buttons - testing your leadership (if she perceived leadership in the first place - not enough info there to work that one out). Does she have cause to?
  • She's getting attention from you because of the destruction of these valuable items? So maybe inadvertent reward?
  • She does because she can (refer also possible reason number 2)?
  • She needs more exercise - physical and mental stimulation?
  • She needs to be taught her boundaries and limitations - perhaps this hasn't been clear in the past and now that she's a 'teenager' she's crossed your boundaries but doesn't understand those boundaries herself?

Edited by Erny

Okay, the original owner obviously lets the dog pretty much run wild, (eg, eating sunnies, glasses, chewing things, having the run of the house, jumping on tables, getting on the bed and under the blankets if she wants to :rofl: ).

To me its pretty obvious if the dog is chewing everything in sight, put things up out of her reach or put the dog out of their reach. :mad

My point being the dog needs leadership, get the dog off the bed and crate train her, at the moment the dog doesnt have a leader so does as she pleases.

I have a gorgeous staffy myself, I know what they are like. :rofl:

I never left her alone (the second time around anyway) if she chewed something (Im talking, pillows, her dog beds, table legs, toys, phone books, door step :D ).

If she was unsupervised at home she would have chewed pretty much anything, so she was supervised, I put things up and away, and she could go in the lounge only with me. If I went out, she was put in the dog run with the other dog.

Up until a few months ago she chewed up every dog bed/cushion/pillow/blanket/doona she had, until she had to sleep on an el cheapo trampoline bed with no covers because of it.

She certainly does now not chew her one and only blanket, because I caught her and she went without it for a week. She is 2 in November.

I dont care if your dogs sleep on your bed, thats your choice....:rofl: Im saying in general the owner needs to establish some pack authority, and for a start its off the bed and crate train her, limited/supervised access to the house, and some training. :thumbsup:

...Ooooops my dog was in the bed, snuggled up to my neck on the first night! :rofl:

If you're not willing to put things up out of your dogs reach then well.. You kind of deserve to have them chewed! Puppies are puppies sometimes.. It's hard to resist temptation, so its far easier to not give it to them in the first place! One of the key things with training I've found is to set the dog up to win. Make it easy for them to do the right thing! Putting things up high means they can't chew them.. The only thing left to chew would be toys.. Which is the correct behaviour for your dog! GOOD dog! You won! ;)

CC - I also let my dogs sleep on the bed, BUT i dont have problems with them trying to be top dog. Atlas was kicked out of bed a while back for a few months, he went through a stage of challenging me, so the first thing i did was put him in his own bed. Things are sorted now and he is back in bed, i dont see any harm, if you dont have problems with your dogs!

. Please don't say put things up and but her a toy she has toys, she can go in and out as she pleases and she climbs up on tables to pinch thigns.

Why is putting things up not an option? :thumbsup:

I think some dogs just chew things more than others. If you have a chewer then you need to make sure she can't get to anything that you don't want chewed.

When not supervised the only area of the house that our dogs have access to is our kitchen/family room. We keep this room pretty bare and we run with a clean bench policy as anything on them is fair game.

In our house, if either of the dogs chew something that they are not supposed to, the person who left it lying around gets told "well that was stupid of you wasn't it" :mad

Ditto! As nearly everyone knows here, i have Atlas, an almost 4 year old Bull Terrier, and he eats anything and everything he can. 4 years and i still cant get him to stop, it is just him and what he does. EVERYTHING is put out of reach, if i forget something and he eats it, it is my fault, not his - i know what he is like and well, if i dont put things away, they get eaten ( i too have lost a few mobile and cordless phones, and my TV remote 2 weeks ago :rofl: )

My dogs are NEVER left inside alone, even if it is just while i am having a shower. They both get crated if i am ducking out for a short time, or put outside. Dogs have to earn trust, and if the dog is chewing everything, it should not be left alone!

Build a dog proof run, if you cant be with your dog, she goes out there, teach her to use a crate and get her to sleep there at night, put everything of yours out of reach and start teaching her she can not jump on tables. I would also be getting her desexed ASAP

I'm no expert but just thought I'd offer a bit of advice...

I've had a few highly strung dogs in my time, they have all grown out of it, not really what you want to hear but I've had the same problems as you, things being chewed etc.

I can't recommend crate training enough and I can't recommend some sort of obedience training enough.. but, that is only from experience, I'm not a dog trainer!

Good luck :thumbsup:

Oh, and for the record, I've never had a problem with my dogs inside or on the bed. I'm still boss!

Sorry for the trauma but you are doing the right thing by asking for suggestions and advice. I don't know if I can help but will try.

Staffy's are wonderful but some need a strong firm handling, then you will be rewarded for life.

Try getting some bitter spray from pet shops. You can spray some things with that to prevent chewing - like on the bedding and things you can put away. Shoes and stuff need to be away in cupboards.

As for climbing on tables - thats the training/boundaries needed. Some dogs, like you other one, just know not to go on tables - some have a bit 'Bart Simpson in them LOL.

If you have the money I would ask around for a recommended one on one dog trainer from Bark Busters or Ozdogs - they know what they are doing and will help you so much - with a guarantee! I have used John in Melbourne from Ozdogs and he changed my life.

I really recommend crate training. Its not cruel. You never ever put a dog in a crate as punishment. Crate training makes the dogs safe and gives you peace of mind. They can be in there for seversal hours (You must do it properly and really reserach it so you understand crate training because if done right, its quick, simple and very effective and the dog will love the crate. If done incorrectly it can be cruel and unfair and confusing and upsetting for a dog. But if sone properly - I think this will help with your staffy - together with some other things too. She must knows who is boss.

Have you considered clicker training?

Staffy's are pretty smart and clicker training not only helps train dogs, it also can be taken further and be a great source of mentsl stimulation for dogs. I heard about a border collie that would chew decking. The own would run the dog to a park, hit 100 tennis balls and the dog would fetch each one and then run all the way home. Then the owner would go to work, come home and more decking was gone. She tried everything but no amount of physical exercise stopped the deck chewing. She got a dog trainer who showed her how to stimulate the dog mentally with some mental exercises and the deck chewing stopped. You know how a dog can be zonked out one minutes from lots of exericse, panting and laying flat completely pooped out...and 10 minutes later and can run like the wind again? They recover from physical exercise pretty quickly. But you know when you have had a tough hard day at work that uses your brain or a highly emotional day.... how you are exhuatsed and sleep like a log? Well tis the same for dogs - some need more mental stimulation than others and yours might be one of those.

You obviously care heaps and are doing your best. Good one you - keep up the great efforts and I'm sure you will be rewarded. I know its not easy, but I get the feeling you will perservere and you will get there. Good luck! Let us know how you go, and yell out if you need more help - that why we are here!

Edited by Sky

I had heard all about crate training but never actually got around to doing it.....until a couple of weeks ago when my 7 month old needed to rest, the only way of assuring that a 7 month old scooby doo rests is.............. in a crate. I only bought one for Ellie, not Mollie, but they both love it, Its the best thing Ive ever bought, in fact Im buying another as soon as I can afford it :thumbsup:

Its not cruel, its their own little place and gives me great peace of mind when I need to have a shower or nip out somewhere. Also in this shocking weather, they are in there during the day when Im at work. Saves them being out in the rain and cold, they get to snuggle each other all day. Well its only about an hour or two from I go out til OH is in. At first I didnt leave them in there unsupervised together but I can now, they just go to sleep :laugh: Its also good (as I discovered) for when friends with small children visit :sleep::sleep::sleep: (for the dogs..not the kids honest :cool: )