Scissors

Roseline is pretty expensive.

i got a good pair off ebay. i have pairs that cost me over $100, but my $35 ebay pair are my fav.

can you get to a grooming supplies store? best way to find what you like.

oh gosh i didnt realise you were cutting the hair AND nails with the same scissors! you will ruin any pair of scissors doing that. scissors are only for hair.

eta: they also need to be sharpened, cleaned and oiled regularly.

Edited by shmoo

I wouldn't cut the dogs nails with the hair cutting scissors. That would make them go blunt quickly I would think. Correct me if I'm wrong anybody.

I thought the same thing, too ;). I'm guessing it's a typo- normal scissors wouldn't cut my dog's nails.

I'd grind down dog's nails with a dremel or similar (e.g. Ozito)- http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/index.html.

I use the same dremel on both a mini poodle and standard poodle, but lower the speed on the smaller dog.

I also bought 7.5" scissors off http://www.freewebs.com/clipperbladesharpe...eningprices.htm and find they're good for 2 poodles. I clip their bodies and scissor head, legs and tail.

ooooooh riiiiight. ;). I kind of got the wrong impression from your first post then. How much of your dog's hair do you cut with the scissors? I know of a lady who cuts her Maltese's hair with scissors only. My Maltese needs doing, but I'm thinking it would take a long time to do the whole dog with the scissors.

Sorry my bad i was tired when i posted...

I cut the hair on top on his feet and in between his paws so not much but i got 3 dogs...

The scissors i have were about $20 bucks but have gone blunt so i wouldnt mind payin a bit more and have them last longer

Roseline is pretty expensive.

i got a good pair off ebay. i have pairs that cost me over $100, but my $35 ebay pair are my fav.

can you get to a grooming supplies store? best way to find what you like.

Yeah I agree that they're expensive, but I just love mine. I have had them for at least 5 yrs and had them sharpened....ummm....once! ;)

I'm not a full-time groomer but I used to do a few neighbourhood dogs and now I use them monthly on my Toller.

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

ooooooh riiiiight. ;). I kind of got the wrong impression from your first post then. How much of your dog's hair do you cut with the scissors? I know of a lady who cuts her Maltese's hair with scissors only. My Maltese needs doing, but I'm thinking it would take a long time to do the whole dog with the scissors.

love to see the finished job! dont know anybody who can scissor a maltese and make it look natural. they have the wrong type of coat.

eta: and clippers will take about a 5th of the time that it would to scissor it. just doesnt make sense to scissor.

Edited by shmoo