Bathing A Wolfhound

Wally

Hello , I have a very large and stinky boy who needs washing. In warmer weather I have an attachment I use with the garden hose to suds him up and rinse him off. But obviously this is not suitable in winter. I've been to "do it yourself" hydrobath places but the baths are too small for my dog and he seems all cramped and doesn't like it al at all. Our local groomer said her bath was too small for him too. Does anyone know of a mobile groomer in the Blue Mountains/western sydney area that could fit a wolfhound in their bath? - Wally

Crikey, if he doesn't fit in a hydrobath Wally, the only thing I can think of its to ring the Irish Wolfhound Club of NSW (linky here and see if they know of somewhere.

If you got really desperate, some of the more upmarket horse stabling complexes have wash bays with hot and cold water on tap.. :rofl: That would be OK on a sunny day.

Your bathroom? Seriously!

Get an attachment for your bath, stick him in there and wash away.

Thats what I was thinking, but our Weimaraners are hard enough to wash in the bath, let alone a Wolfhound :rofl:

I think there are some breeders on here, hopefully they have some ideas

Hello , I have a very large and stinky boy who needs washing. In warmer weather I have an attachment I use with the garden hose to suds him up and rinse him off. But obviously this is not suitable in winter. I've been to "do it yourself" hydrobath places but the baths are too small for my dog and he seems all cramped and doesn't like it al at all. Our local groomer said her bath was too small for him too. Does anyone know of a mobile groomer in the Blue Mountains/western sydney area that could fit a wolfhound in their bath? - Wally

The Horse stable idea is a good one, thank you. There are quite a few in Castlereagh near us. Yes, I've left a message on the IW club website. The bath might have been a good idea except he's still too big for that - maybe if we had a spa (Hmmm)

Wally

Wash him outside (sheltered area) but with warm water? Run a hose off a tap inside and out a window? And get one of those gas pole heater things from Bunnings, heaps of heat in a small area for a couple hundred bucks, plus you can use it to keep people warm as well.

Wash him outside (sheltered area) but with warm water? Run a hose off a tap inside and out a window? And get one of those gas pole heater things from Bunnings, heaps of heat in a small area for a couple hundred bucks, plus you can use it to keep people warm as well.

Yes this is what I would do, you probably won't even need a heater. All my dogs are hydrobathed outside even in winter. After the bath towel him dry and then take him for a walk or run and finish him off with a dryer, a dog dryer would be best, but you can make do with a hair dryer as long as it's powerful.

Took my 17 month old wolfhound for her first hydrobath two weeks ago (yes she is too big for my bath now). She fitted into the hydrobath at the local dog groomers - maybe there are different sized hydrobaths?

I've got the same problem when I first got my rescue Anatolian Shepherd Dog a year ago. No where to bath him and it's not worth doing it at home in my own bathroom, imagine when he shake the water & shampoo off him and I'll have to end up cleaning the whole bathroom including the walls and ceiling!

I've tried mobile dog wash, but they're really not big enough and the poor dog was squash in the tub and I don't think he is being wash properly due to the lack of space.

I've tried a few groomers and now take him to RSPCA (Burwood), the tub is not extremely large but he fit in ok and Pauline, the groomer did excellent job and Tsar doesn't has to be lock in a small cage for the whole day waiting for his turn. Most of the time I can pick him up within a couple of hours and it's a lot cheaper compared to the other groomer.

We have bathed plenty of wolfies in the hydrobath .Our bath opens at both ends which makes doing giants breeds easy,size isnt a real issue if slightly cramp,there not in there that long & no more cramped than sitting on the backseat of some of the cars the owners turn up in.

You dont get giant baths the normal big bath should do a wolfie easily unless you have a giant freak

If you want a quick option to help remove odour then just use some old towels,stick them in hot water with shampoo added(hot enought for dog to tolerate),ring out & then use the towels on the dog,This will help pull out the odours etc etc

Edited by showdog

do you need to use a bath? I'm planning on giving my wolfhound his first bath tomorrow (8 months). I just envisioned soaping him up outside, and then hosing him down. i figure if i do it early enough i can wash him, towel him off and let him sit in the sun to dry out?

Hi Wally,

My biggest dog is a SmithfieldXBorder Collie and he doesnt like being bathed one bit.

To keep him smelling sweet I take him to the beach and let him have a swim (even in Tassie winter). He dries out on the way home on the back of the ute. :cool:

Some beaches have outside showers so he can be rinsed in fresh water.