Puppies And Birds...

TankGirl

Hi all!

i'd like to ask a theoretical question as i still don't have a puppy (decided to wait till January rolls around) but would like to cover my bases as early as now.

we just moved homes, and now live on acreage. the people who used to live there used to feed the birds everyday, and we continue to do so because they are a joy to watch.

my question is, when my new (boxer) puppy comes along, what is the best way to teach him/her NOT to chase the birds.

thanks in advance!

TG

I'm going to watch this topic myself for some answers. Puppy has been here a week now and the first few days he was great with our pet ducks. Now he wants to eat them :mad It started when one of them came a bit close and investigated puppy....the ducks think they are dogs I'm sure. Now it world war 3 between the ducks and puppy. I would hate any of the ducks to get hurt so am keeping them seperated for the time being.

mypets, what kind of puppy is it?

i remember once i had a chick, who was really cheeky and was the "alpha" pet...she would peck the dogs on the nose as soon as they would come close. the dogs ended up respecting the chick! haha, it was funny tho.

We have a boxer boy called Archie, now 6 months old.

I too thought it was a loosing battle trying to stop him from chasing birds but about 3 weeks ago I noticed that while he was under his tree in the back yard chewing on his bone there were 2 rosellas eating from his bowl about 5 ft away from him & a magpie standing in his water bowl!

They were in clear view. I think he just decided to share! :whiteflag:

The whole chasing the birds away is a bit of a game. The birds dont seem to be scared away as they keep coming back.

Interesting topic, I have a pet Parrot and Cockatiel and we get our puppy Labrador on Friday. I'm wondering if it would be worth introducing them to each other, or just keeping them separate 100% of the time.

hello tankgirl...he's a 14 week old Border Collie. He starts puppy school next week and then will advance to the next stage of his training. We intend to continue you training throughout his life to make sure he's happy and content and has something to look forward to each week. We currently walk him and play games and he sits, comes (well 80% of the time) when called, fetches and loves to play ball. He's excellent with my grand children ages 3 and 16 months.

Oh and Puss has not come out from under the bed either. Puss lost his best mate 3 months months ago and has been a grump since. His mate was a 14.5 year old BC x Kelpie.

My girls are fine with the quails in the quail run.. well PC finds them very very interesting but not fatalities so far..

Other birds are another issue.. Lola hates the Heron that comes in to empty the fish ponds.. has nearly killed it a few times..

Down the park they chase the Ibis, plovers, crested pidgeons like there is no tommorrow.. but with a Kelpie cross and a StaffyxGreyxPointer what can you expect..

Lola actually holds back from the chase until commanded to 'go to'.. I guess you could always make it a training game, like we have with Lola, she has her 'go to' command and her 'come back' and for her it works a treat great for recall.. And she has good restraint without the command..

PC on the other hand, sights and Points and then off she goes.. :whiteflag:

Good Luck with it..

Coda's breeder also bred birds and cats. He knows the difference between the wild birds and my birds in the aviary. The wild birds are allowed to eat at the feeding station attached to the fence, but often get chased when they actually come down into the garden. Doesn't seem to worry the birds as they always come back.

very interesting replies, everyone! thanks heaps.

i suppose i'm worrying too much about the birds. from what you all say the birds will come back no matter what as long as they are getting a free feed. :D

puts my mind at ease now.

thanks heaps! :thumbsup:

TG

Also sonsider wild birds can carry disease so i would be wary in encouraging them to much plus it can become a nuisance.

The person in the back street started to feed the birds & would end up with so many there the noise & poop was over the top.

I have gundogs any bird that lands in the backyard does so at its own risk.Some havent left ,others have been lucky but i would also be awar that Boxers are a high risk breed for bloat?gastric torsion & you dont want the dog to become so over whelmed or obseesed with the birds it increarses his risk

i'd like to ask a theoretical question as i still don't have a puppy (decided to wait till January rolls around) but would like to cover my bases as early as now.

we just moved homes, and now live on acreage. the people who used to live there used to feed the birds everyday, and we continue to do so because they are a joy to watch.

my question is, when my new (boxer) puppy comes along, what is the best way to teach him/her NOT to chase the birds.

Apply flock guardian bird training :thumbsup:

When your new pup arrives, take he/she out with you when you feed the birds.

Observe the dogs behaviour.

Calm demeanour and ignoring the birds is praised

('calm' at baby puppy age

also includes behaviour where the pup does not notice the birds because it is playing with a flower etc - the pup is still praised for 'ignoring' the birds, as we want to instill in the pup that the birds are a 'non event'.)

Over excitement barking and running up to the birds is reprimanded with a firm "NO".

Any pause in unwanted behaviour is met with praise.

From Day 1, take the pup with you when you feed the birds.

Keep the pup on a lead while you feed the birds during the learning process,

as this allows you to quickly respond to any unwanted behaviour ie: chasing.

Also you don't want the pup to take off after the birds and then you to take off after the pup,

as this will encourage the pup to keep playing this new fun game :laugh:

B2 and friends

post-11891-1187765872_thumb.jpg

Edited by lilli

Apply flock guardian bird training :shrug:

When your new pup arrives, take he/she out with you when you feed the birds.

Observe the dogs behaviour.

Calm demeanour and ignoring the birds is praised

('calm' at baby puppy age

also includes behaviour where the pup does not notice the birds because it is playing with a flower etc - the pup is still praised for 'ignoring' the birds, as we want to instill in the pup that the birds are a 'non event'.)

Over excitement barking and running up to the birds is reprimanded with a firm "NO".

Any pause in unwanted behaviour is met with praise.

From Day 1, take the pup with you when you feed the birds.

Keep the pup on a lead while you feed the birds during the learning process,

as this allows you to quickly respond to any unwanted behaviour ie: chasing.

Also you don't want the pup to take off after the birds and then you to take off after the pup,

as this will encourage the pup to keep playing this new fun game :rofl:

B2 and friends

post-11891-1187765872_thumb.jpg

lilli!

thanks for your sound advice!

that sounds good and i will definitely try that one.

oh i really can't wait till next year!!