Performance Dogs - Chiro's

34 members have voted

1. 1. How many people take their performance dogs to a Chiro (or similar) and under what circumstances?

• Yes - Regular Checkup
    • Yes - Injury Only
    • No

our vet used to send some people's dogs to amazing elderly chiro man over in Northern Suburbs Melb. This guy is one of natures gifted healers from all accounts. He used to charge some paltry sum like five bucks. I believe he is still practicing

I think that is George you are talking about. We are actually taking the dogs out to see him tomorrow morning. He only charges $10 and is brilliant.

Ive heard alot of good things about him, but cant find a number any where can someone post it here or pm me please :)

My dogs tend to only get checked out if they have an injury but would love to find a long term chiro due to the sport we do can be hard on the dogs.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cooper does not have regular visits at the moment, but that is due to the level of obedience he is at.

Once he starts jumping etc, then yes, he will be going for regular visits just to make sure everything is in working order.

I much rather do this than have an underlying injury, I am not aware of until it is that painful it actually shows, which means him being out of action for a while, which he would not like very much at all :)

Usually I will only take my dogs for an injury related issue - but that is because it seems to fall withing the 'regular' checkup time. If my dogs haven't shown any signs of lameness within 6mths I will take them for a preventative checkup.

I am like PF that see it as a preventative rather than curative. Also - on the times that I have taken Kinta - she has not been lame at all, but merely seeing the chiro as 'she was there'. EVERY time he has found her to be out - only mildly so.... it just goes to show that dogs ARE quite stoic and will not show signs of pain. The times when I have taken Leo for injury - the chiro is always amazed he isn't showing it more!

On top of that - the first time I went to the chiro was to fix up an 'old injury'.... it took about 6 re-visits to get it right.... since then, he has NEVER (touching wood) had an issue with it.... but - in the long run, preventative is better as he wasn't performing his best for about 6mths when you include all the re-visits, which panned over months.....

We go once a fortnight.

I know when something is out, but i also want them to go when nothing is wrong.

A checkup doesn't hurt, it also helps them to get used to the idea.

$15 a dog once a fortnight, im not complaining

this one chiro saved these people about $2000 for only $75 a few check ups and that sorta stuff yet the vet was charging $2000 and the chiro went to take his dog to a vet its always a good idea to go to one at least once a year. and there was a new vet in there and he went to the dog and was just cheacking it. and the vet hit a nerve and said oh no no this is a big problem i think we are going to do this and that and he said the leg was broken and the chiro walk out just laughing didnt tell the guy who he was and he check it and nothing was wrong with the dog and got another chiro his mate to check it for a second opion and he said nothing is wrong.... just some vets are shifty but as saying that there are GREAT ones out there.

Ness I felt the same way about chiro's due to one my mother use to visit when I was in my early teens. I hadn't really considered taking the dogs to one. I wasn't even aware that they did existed for non racing dogs. My little girl had very funny movement and I really felt there was something wrong but after visiting several vets around here who'd all insisted there was nothing wrong I came to the conclusion that I was seeing things.

It was only when I went to a trial and ran into her breeder who saw it too that I was told that she'd certainly hurt herself and that chiro's can help dogs. I can't tell you how guilty I felt, so we went asap, anything to make her feel better. She's been to the chiro a few times now and there's been a slow but definite change for the better. She still needs more work done but her movement has improved no end and she's finally starting to look and move like the show quality dog she is! Poor thing I wish someone had told me sooner. She'll keep going now even after she's over this injury on a semi regular basis.

As I was typing yesterday, a friend arrived. I should not have entered my post and may have caused confusion as Ses's chiro visits were primarily for generalised spinal/shoulder soreness not for her secondary problem - the LUMP.

But for interest, what conditions have helped your canines with chiro treatment? Were diagnoses confirmed by vets, radiographs, blood tests etc?

I certainly prefer regular check ups and agree with Poodlefan and Leopuppy. I mainly use a massage person who is brilliant, there is also a couple of good bowen people I know who are great and occassionally I will use a vet who does accupuncture but find the bowen very similar. I have done the chiro thing but prefer the other methods.

Well we have just got back from the chiro. Apparently Ness is in great shape for a nearly 7 year old. Yep there were a few problems but nothing that won't come good after 2 treatment. Her main issue was a major problem in her neck (huge restricted movement in one direction). Much better once he treated her. The verdict hmm probably a result of heelwork so I have some stretching exercises to keep it from happening again. The "issue" back leg is probably no more than general wear and tear rather than a cruciate problem at this point which is just fantastic news.

Any way thanks to all who answered the poll.

About 2 months ago I got a new dog - maybe Staffy X Whippet not really sure - it was thought she may have a luxating patella, so she was off the chiro, he said that if it was that problem his work probably would not fix it but he said he would work on her back and hips and see how she went. After the first visit the improvement was great, after the second (5 weeks ago now) it has just just about stopped her hopping altogether. ANYWAY today she had to go to the vets for her vaccinations and the vets say now that there is absolutely no trace of a luxating patella now!!

I am so happy!!

LOL RF - I have two things to say here :thanks:.

First - that avatar of yours - I was *dying* to get that up before but it wouldn't let me as it was too big :).... how funny is it!

second - your same problem is what switched me onto chiro's. I was told my dog had a lux patella when it turned out that his hip was out!!!! honestly!! LOL!

Great to hear that Ness :D - so she wasn't broken after all :cheer:

Hi poodlefan,

You don't know what a relief it was to hear her back leg is all good. After watching her half sister who is 8 weeks post her second cruciate surgery hobble around the obedience ring on Saturday my heart was honestly in my mouth this morning when I took Ness especially knowing what the vet said a fortnight ago about the fact Ness had muscle wasting on the suspect leg.

I practice whatever style of heeling my BC decides to give me :) . My number 1 criteria is the dog must be paying attention to me and not off sticky beaking around the place.

Edited by ness

I was wondering how you were going Ness - great news :)

Just out of interest, do you practice "wrap" style heeling?

Out of curiosity PF - what do you consider a 'wrap' - where the dogs head is completely wrapped around you, or one where the dog is looking up at you?? Do you see any difference between the two??

Sorry PF didn't actually answer your question directly - nope Ness doesn't wrap but does look up.

Ness's problem with her neck isn't the only one I know of which may be attributed as being a result of their chosen heeling style.

In Ness's case we aren't entirely sure since there was problem with the right front shoulder as well so can't work out which came first, the neck problem or the shoulder problem (chicken or egg scenario).

:) Hi pf and Ness

Glad she isn't broken, Ness. :D I should probably take my Fergus somewhere for a check up - he's stiffer on one side than the other. Just need to find someone good.

Thiinking about the warp heeling - the English dogs ought to have problems then, you'd think, given their very tight heeling style. If I remember, I'll ask at the Mary Ray camp. I'm guessing Mary's dogs don't have problems because they're doing Heelwork to Music (and agility in some cases) as well, and so she does a lot of work with the dog on the right - so that probably balances them up a bit. Oh, and she certainly uses TTouch and massage.

Interesting thought.