Fish Oil For Dogs With Seizures

Found this on Petplace.com. As the owner of an epileptic dog, I thought it was very interesting and someone here might find it useful. Maybe if this works for anyone they can share with us? Casper's been seizure free for two years (touch wood) and I have only recently put him on fish oil, mainly for his itchy skin, so I can't say if this helps or not!

"Here is a tip from one of our PetPlace.com users:

I have five dogs who have seizures. They all began on the same day...21 days after immunization with a vaccine that contained lepto. That 21st day all five started seizing, so we spent the next 48 hours holding one or two at a time as needed. We had to have people come help us. The seizures were horrible. The dogs would feel them coming on and while trying to get to me would end up walking on their back legs or slamming into the furniture. They were really awful seizures, lasting up to ten minutes and more. Often one would end and another would start almost immediately. Our vet wanted to put them on Phenobarbital but wasn't good with meds according to sources. Too much or too little could make it worse. Eventually she said we'd need to add another med to it. Then it all changed.

After having my skin ripped open from a dog's seizure I called the VA clinic where my husband was and said he needed to get home ASAP. The doctor who was treating my husband heard the problem and told him to try fish oil. He had used it with his collies. We started them on fish oil each day and now I am happy to say that we go for months and months without any seizures at all. If there is one often it's such mild shaking that you don't realize it was a seizure. For those who have dogs with seizures, give it a try. We noticed a difference within two days. "

Thanks for the tip I havent tried fish oil with my little boy as yet....

I'm thinking it can't harm. At the very least he'll have a shinier coat!

I used to give Casper anti-histamines 'cos he was so itchy. Since I started him on the Fish oil he has hardly ever scratched again.

Edited by White Shepherd mom

Where do you get the fish oil from normal chemists, or can you just feed a little fish in their diet sardines or the like ?

I give them what we have. I buy a bottle of fish oil capsules from Coles and put one in their food. Hubby and I have two each so our coats are also shiny! Once or twice a week they'll have a can of tuna so I don't give them the capsules on those days.

staffy-lover put me onto fish oil after the Nuero suggested it to her. I can't say it has stopped Monte's seizures though. He has been on them for about 4 months now give or take.

Edited to add: Varicool, Monte weighs about 9kg and I give him one capsule a day... I don't know off-hand what the strength is though. They are 'Nature's Own' brand that you can purchase almost any where.

Edited by Puggles

staffy-lover put me onto fish oil after the Nuero suggested it to her. I can't say it has stopped Monte's seizures though. He has been on them for about 4 months now give or take.

Edited to add: Varicool, Monte weighs about 9kg and I give him one capsule a day... I don't know off-hand what the strength is though. They are 'Nature's Own' brand that you can purchase almost any where.

hey puggles. Have you noticed any difference in Monte's seizures? I guess it might only apply to some dogs with certain types of seizures.

hey puggles. Have you noticed any difference in Monte's seizures? I guess it might only apply to some dogs with certain types of seizures.

Sadly no. He is going through a quiet stage with them however but this stage started in January and the fish oil only started 3 or 4 months ago. His cycles regularly change and thi sis not the first time we have gone through a relatively calm period.

umm just realised noone must read my posts about epilepsy because i have been saying for ages to add fish oil tabs.

My neuro said this - there is no hard evidence that fish oil does anything. However, my neuro said that fish oil is used in memory and to help the brain. and because this is what epilepsy is all about then she strong suggests using it and feels personally that it helps to keep dogs brains healthy. not to mention the heart which gets alot of stress.

hmmmm maybe i need to highlight this so it gets read hehehe

Thanks for the tip on how much fish oil Rappie :thumbsup:

does cod liver oil work the same way?

and do we just pop the capsule whole in the food?

I also saw cod liver oil at the shop last night when I went to get the fish oil - and it specifically says on the label that it is for healthy brain function - I was going to grab both but figured it would be too much for him.

So I'm with Lynlovesdogs - has anyone tried it and does it work?

Do not give Cod Liver oil instead - it contains some vitamins which can be toxic in large doses.

I read your post Staffy-Lover and increased my boys dose as a result - he has not had a seizure for 9 months (usually has them every 3 months)

I don't think Fish oil is a magical cure - if your dog needs medication this is the most important part of their treatmet and as Puggles and others have pointed out - getting the dosage right and the mix of drugs and being absolutely firm about the time the meds are given is critical and there may still be breakthrough seizures.

If you give too much fish oil your dog will get oily poos and you need to decrease the dose.

I put the caps in cream cheese and the dogs eat it like a treat

Edited by frufru