My Baby Ate Glass On The Weekend

I heard a smash on Sunday morning and went downstairs to find Blossom had knocked a wine glass off the coffee table (I am a slob and they were there from the previous evening). About two hours later she suddenly went quiet an started shaking and yelping in pain. I thought she'd been stung as all the dogs had been playing outside, but couldnt find anything. We took her to the vets when it opened two hours later and she hadnt improved. The vet found that the pain is coming from her stomach area, and we (the vet and I) now think she must have eaten some of the broken glass :thanks: .

She's had an x-ray with barium which showed no perforation of digestive system thank goodness, and is on pain relief and something to help her stomach recover from ulceration. Now I'm just keeping her quiet (easy as she just wants to lie down) and feeding her tinned food with metamusil mixed in to try and get something bulky passing through to take the glass with it. It must be on the move as she keeps yelping and looking at her bum (then at me because she is sure it is my fault :D )

I never would have though that they would eat glass. She does have a habit of putting anything and everything in her mouth though, then swallowing quickly if she thinks you are going to take it off her. It must have tasted nice because of the wine :)

Hope your baby gets better soon - what an awful thing to happen! :eek:

My Buttercup ate my girlfriends' prescription glasses a year or two back :laugh: Just to let you know - she is still with me today :shrug: That guts will still eat ANYTHING! :rofl:

Some oldtimer here on DOL ages ago mentioned that should your dog eat glass, you can feed large amounts of cotton wool with honey or something yummy to make it go down :rofl::eek: Wraps itself around anything solid in the gut and then it passes easily. Apparently it worked for him/her but I haven't tried it myself :)

Well we've had an 'event'full few days (lots of smelly, painful 'events') and Bloss now seems to be recovering :rofl: .

I've been feeding her every couple of hours with the tinned food (yuk) and fibre and it seems to have done the trick. She seems like her old self again tonight (albeit an 'old self' with a very sore bum and still tender guts). The first few poos she did I went through them with a fine tooth comb and found several sharp bits :thumbsup: . I stopped counting when the smell got worse and the poo runnier (and cause people were watching me do this while out on a walk :thumbsup: )

I'm very relieved!!!!

How amazing that it is sort of common for dogs to eat glass - and be OK (with some intervention)

The first few poos she did I went through them with a fine tooth comb and found several sharp bits

Well at least you had confirmation that it was the glass causing the problems.

Back to plastic tumblers for you BMP...

I'm relieved she's okay, but this is just another cross against your name and another tick against mine for me to own her :thumbsup:

Well we've had an 'event'full few days (lots of smelly, painful 'events') and Bloss now seems to be recovering :thumbsup: .

I've been feeding her every couple of hours with the tinned food (yuk) and fibre and it seems to have done the trick. She seems like her old self again tonight (albeit an 'old self' with a very sore bum and still tender guts). The first few poos she did I went through them with a fine tooth comb and found several sharp bits :) . I stopped counting when the smell got worse and the poo runnier (and cause people were watching me do this while out on a walk :p )

I'm very relieved!!!!

How amazing that it is sort of common for dogs to eat glass - and be OK (with some intervention)

:rofl: The things us dog owners do, poke through dog crap in public :rofl: :rofl: I'm glad to hear she is doing well! Lucky girl.