Very Tired.... New Pup Is A Toilet Machine...

alananddora

Hi All,

Advise please... new puppy arrived last week and so far we have been getting up at 1-2am and also 4am to take little Jasmine to her alloted garden area to relieve her little bladder and number 2's.

She is spending the whole night in the crate in our bedroom - she is very well behaved, bless her heart...

No toilet mess in the house so far.... :)

What can we do to stop us going crazy due to lack of sleep - Jasmine does not mind she is asleep in the garden cathcing up on her zzz's.... :rofl:

What's advise can anyone give to this issue, as our household harmony is important as well to our new little family member and her weak bladder!

Thanks

A&D.

Yep - baby puppy equals BABY! :rofl:

Getting up every 2 hours will be the norm until she is around 4 months of age by which stage she will be holding on for a bit longer :)

It's great that she's waking you up to go ;) No messes to clean up at 2am :rofl:

It wont last long, but as others have said it's basically the same as having a baby. Count your lucky stars that she's well behaved and waking you when needing to go. I had a dog once that, even at nearly 4 yrs old, would still mess inside. Our new little guy is just over 12 months old and has been a blessing. After the settling in he hasn't had one accident inside. In the first two weeks I was up every few hours taking him outside to make sure he would get the idea, now we can be gone all day and come home to a clean laundry (this is where they stay when we aren't home). It's all about sticking with it, even if you have to have an afternoon nap to catch up on sleep. Putting pup in her crate for an hour while you nap will help keep you sane.

It goes with the territory when you get a baby puppy. You just have to ride it out.

Count your blessings.. at least little Jasmine lets you know when she needs to go.

By the time she is four months old, she may not need to go during the night.

Being as my wife and I are DINKs we are not used to having the baby routine!

Thanks for the advise.

What I am thinking is trying to limit the toliet excursions to one per night. She is still being feed three times daily, but I am reducing the middle of day ration to get her on two feeds per day. Usually her evening feed is 5.30-6pm ish.

What I am thinking is that as you should never play with a puppy post feeding due to bloat, and we will want to play with her when we come home, is that evening feeding time is put back to as late as 7.30pm. Toilet before bed and then hopefully one visit outside during the night? Or am I kidding myself..

Has anyone slowly adjusted routines to minimise the sleeping patterns?

ahhhhh! the delights fo a new puppy.

How old is jasmine?

How you manage her routine is very dependent on age.

She is 9 weeks old... but already knows "sit", "down", "in your crate", "come"; her ability to pick stuff up is amazing.

Started her on K9 Forde's TOT yesterday and she is respondning already as well.

Hi All,

Advise please... new puppy arrived last week and so far we have been getting up at 1-2am and also 4am to take little Jasmine to her alloted garden area to relieve her little bladder and number 2's.

She is spending the whole night in the crate in our bedroom - she is very well behaved, bless her heart...

No toilet mess in the house so far.... :)

What can we do to stop us going crazy due to lack of sleep - Jasmine does not mind she is asleep in the garden cathcing up on her zzz's.... :rofl:

What's advise can anyone give to this issue, as our household harmony is important as well to our new little family member and her weak bladder!

Thanks

A&D.

Puppies are like babies.. You get -no- sleep :rofl:

Atleast your puppy doesn't have diahrea like ours did! ;) :rofl::eek:

A 9 week old puppy still needs 3 feeds a day. Don't cut it down to 2 yet! Their little stomachs can't hold all they need to grow and stay healthy in only 2 feeds.

You will just have to weather this. Cutting her food to try and stop her waking you up is not on. I would consider that she will need to go out twice a night for another couple of weeks, then once a night for a few weeks more.

A 9 week old puppy still needs 3 feeds a day. Don't cut it down to 2 yet! Their little stomachs can't hold all they need to grow and stay healthy in only 2 feeds.

You will just have to weather this. Cutting her food to try and stop her waking you up is not on. I would consider that she will need to go out twice a night for another couple of weeks, then once a night for a few weeks more.

Hmmm... I can continue with 3 feeds until 9.5 weeks but then unfortunately bills need to be paid and I have to return to work :) so it will have to 2 feeds per day. When we picked up the pup the breeder, who has been doing this since 1970 told us this was cool and we should only feed her later in the day (i.e. 7.30 or 8pm) due to bloat due to wanting to spend quality time with the puppy.

I don't think I would cut her meals back..she is still very much a baby.

Not being too familiar with GSD pups, may I suggest that bloat wouldn't be a major concern at this age?

I am happy to be howled down! Just a thought...

she sounds very smart, so yes, once there is no-one home during the day, a Kong or two , filled with food and a large raw meaty bone would both give her physical AND mental sutenance :)

she will probably be looking for things to occupy her..and this way, she can put her energy and grey matter to use, finding herself a feed !

any photos?