Barf Patties

cassie

I just bought a pack of 12 mixed-flavoured BARF Patties (the Dr. Billinghurst ones, not sure if there are any other ones or not?) and was just after a few opinions on them. Has anyone else used them before? How economical do you find them, compared to feeding whatever else?

The pack says that they can be fed as a mixture with raw meaty bones, so give one meal of BARF patties and one meal of bones per day. Going by the instructions on the pack, according to my dogs' sizes, they would get 2-3 patties per day each, plus bones. What do others think? Will this work out incredibly expensive? Is it heaps cheaper to feed the "proper" BARF way? I like the fact that these patties are so convenient - no preparation involved!

You will no doubt be told to do a search on BARF diets done previously, there are a stack of them.

I am not sure how to put the link in to the most recent one but I mentioned that I buy the BARF diet in 2kg rolls as opposed to the patties.

It is the same stuff, just in a solid 2kg roll so not as convenient, but at $4.40 for 2kgs I am not complaining about breaking it up! Beats making it from scratch or paying the huge difference for the patties. Also allows me to feed the exact amount I want not just the set amount of the patties too.

I am in Brissy so my supplier will not be much help to you but there should be someone who does a similiar thing where you are.

Hi Cassie ... my friend is the BARF distributor for South Australia ... and I feed nothing but the natural way and find it to be economical ... food wise and vet wise ... etc ... read more about BARF and our dogs Visit My Website ... I swear by BARF feeding ... Merlin's coat and health has improved ... and I do not feed the recommended amount on the pack ... all dog's metabolisms are different and we need to experiment a bit to get it right ...

Making your own will work out alot cheaper than the barf patties. Talk to your butcher and see whether he can do you a deal on meat etc. Mine was awesome, and even minces up the chicken carcasses, and offal for me. That way you know it is all human grade meat too.

Thanks for the replies.

Kymbaly - so you just feed the patties, is that what you meant? Or when you said "the natural way" do you mean doing it all yourself? How many dogs do you have to feed? Can I ask what it costs (approximately) per week to feed them all?

Isiss - I don't actually have my own butcher, we tend to just buy meat from the supermarket. There are a fair few close by to me though so yes, I should definitely check them out. What do you say when inquiring? That you are looking to feed your dog/s? Or do you pretend you're after human food, so then you know you're getting human-grade meat?

I cook my dogs patties now (they don't like the raw as much) and Montie's fur is fluffier and healthier than ever.

I used to feed BARF (make the patties myself) and the dogs looked stunning. Then I fed the "prey model" diet, ie like BARF but with no veggies etc, and their health deteriorated dramatically. I then fed Eagle Pack for a while and they picked up a bit, then I bought the pre mix patties (Dr Billinghurst) for Montie and his health declined a little, he didn't thrive on them, though he did lose the doggy odour that he got after a few months of being fed kibble! Now I've started cooking for him (he still gets half a chicken wing a day) his health has picked right up again and he's beginning to look better than ever (his prime was when he was on the BARF patties I made at home, he's at that stage again now, but 5 years old now as opposed to 2 years). Between the time when I started feeding the prey model diet, up until I started cooking for him he had recurring staff infections and his fur lost some of its gloss and length. Because of the staff he got shaved a few times and his fur grew back slightly duller than it used to be and he was a very itchy dog. He doesn't scratch now and his skin is nice and healthy, his fur is thick and longer than it's been in years and he's put on a bit of weight because he actually enjoys his food now!

So, in my experience (all dogs are different), the way to go is home made BARF patties (if your dog will eat them) or home cooked hybrid BARF (or FARB - Food and Raw Bones LOL). Montie didn't thrive on the Billinghurst patties, he was still soft and healthy, but not as healthy as on the BARF or FARB :cry:

Oh and the puppy, Chino, he's doing wonderfully on the FARB. I'm very happy with the results :)

Cassie I'm assuming that with the size of your dogs feeding store bought patties on a long term basis would be very expensive. We used the patties when our dogs went into boarding and I'll use them again when taking the dogs on holidays etc. However for every day feeding I just make my own. ( I don't make patties though)

I go to the chicken shop about once a month and buy 5kg of backs, 5kg of necks and 5kg of casserole pieces. This costs about $40.00.

I buy bags of bones from the butcher $3 per bag. I then just keep an eye out in the supermarket for red meat that is on special.

I am a distributor of Barf. I find that many people feed barf and bones, or will alternate barf and home made barf - depends on time and funds avail. While Barf is my first choice, I would encourage those feeding many dogs or large dogs who don't want to buy Barf patties to make their own. Billinghurst has written 3 books on Barf so I would start with Give Your Dog a Bone, then The Barf Diet. He explains why feed raw and how to make your own. The patties should be fed with bones at a 50 / 50 ratio. I feed a Rottweiler and usually feed her 1 - 1 1/2 patties and chicken bones - necks frames and wings. Lamb bones - necks, shanks and off cuts. If she is a little on the light side I will increase her meals, or if she is getting too heavy I will back off with the bones until she is at a good weight. Get an idea of the right weight for your dog and take some photos at the weight. It is easy to forget the desired weight and get the dog a bit too heavy. I did just that as I enjoyed watching her crunch away on bones. There is more than one way to feed a raw diet. Do your research and you will find the benefits of Raw feeding is so worth it.

Thanks for the replies.

Kymbaly - so you just feed the patties, is that what you meant? Or when you said "the natural way" do you mean doing it all yourself? How many dogs do you have to feed? Can I ask what it costs (approximately) per week to feed them all?

Isiss - I don't actually have my own butcher, we tend to just buy meat from the supermarket. There are a fair few close by to me though so yes, I should definitely check them out. What do you say when inquiring? That you are looking to feed your dog/s? Or do you pretend you're after human food, so then you know you're getting human-grade meat?

I told them it was for the dogs - but then my butcher gives me presents for my dogs LOL. I follow the Dr Billinghurst menu, for the barf patties. So I use beef, raw meaty bones (minced), offal, fruit and veg, flaxseed, fish oil, whole eggs, garlic and kelp. It works out to be about $4.50kg or cheaper, depending on the price of fruit and veg.

My butcher gives me ground up gravy beef, so not overly fatty. Maybe start by asking for that and see what the price will be.

I get a headache just reading all the different BARF combos :x and what to feed and when.

Our amstaff recently went off the dry food she had since a pup, and i am looking into swapping over to barf type stuff when this last bag is gone. But even after reading a few sites, i have NO idea where to start :x Maybe i will send kymbaly or their friend an email and ask for suggestions.

yeah, i meant to type that in, but my fingers weren't in touch with my brain lol.

We just opened the last bag we were given, which is why i posted today, hehe. We've been giving her the tiniest morsels of meat with her tea to get her used to some different types in preparation for her BARF style diet, whichever i choose.

My sisters Bull terrier was fed on chicken necks (and a few other things) and lived till 15, so i am thinking SOME form of barf is definitely the best.

My staffy has been raised on mainly canned food (shame) but she has always wanted it and loved it till she became allergic..she is also 15>>....who knows!!

Either way she is the only dog ive ever raised on canned food and is no longer on it as she needs more fish in her diet...I know wat u mean Kobay.. i get half way thru a post somethimes n think,hey,.i cant be bothered with the rest..LOL

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd jump on the end of this thread rather than commit the internet sin of starting a new one on a tired topic..

Are there any suppliers of BARF patties or rolls in Melbourne? Anything else that Melburnians would recommend?

I am currently using Vets All Natural, plan to switch to half-homemade-vegetable-slush and half VAN for the vegetable portion of my dog's diet - but when I go away in around Christmas, my brother won't be as diligent, so I would like a convenient alternative.

I thought I'd jump on the end of this thread rather than commit the internet sin of starting a new one on a tired topic..

Are there any suppliers of BARF patties or rolls in Melbourne? Anything else that Melburnians would recommend?

I am currently using Vets All Natural, plan to switch to half-homemade-vegetable-slush and half VAN for the vegetable portion of my dog's diet - but when I go away in around Christmas, my brother won't be as diligent, so I would like a convenient alternative.

Hi Cazxxz, 4Paws Pet Supplies in Keilor Park sell BARF Patties. :(