7 Month Gsd Barking Madly

Jean26

Any suggestions??

He jsut barks non stop at other dogs when he is on lead. When we go to Whiteman Park for a Perth DOL meet he will bark and pull like a maniac while on lead on the other side of the fence. Once inside and off lead he is fine, great in fact!

I was told that it might be a dominance thing? - If so does this mean he doesnt see me as Alpha??

Or a "Fear Period" thing?

Im not too sure if he only does this to males... But we did meet a lovely Akita last night (both on lead). Entire male, 3 years old. Very gentle. I just felt sooo bad coz Kaiser just wouldnt stop barking and pulling on the lead! He did eventually settle, went for a sniff then started to bark again :laugh:

Am i going something wrong??

This is the only problem i've ever had with him. Apart from the barking he is an absolute angel!

ETA: He does this at Obedience as well.

Edited by RiverStar

This behaviour drives me nuts but my worst culprit sadly died this year in April - he taught the others to do it too but after he went they stopped.

Harder to do when you have 4 like me (small dogs) but with only 1, try the method used by the lady in "It's me or the dog". Something like distraction and reward for sitting down and ignoring the dog coming the other way. Plus you need a dog to practice with, coming the ohter way that is.

I had just started making headway with this method my boy when he got sick - we always passed a few dogs each morning.

I find getting them to sit and focus on you instead (with a treat :) ) works well. :laugh: Sometimes Diesel does this too, he is great among crowds of dogs like at meets or dog parks and at training, his issue is only when we are walking down the street and there is another dog coming the other way on the footpath. So I give the other dog space, put Diesel in a sit and get his attention on me instead of the other dog.

Strangely Kaos, who is not as good as Diesel face to face with other dogs, has no problems passing other dogs on the street, he will normally just ignore them :(

Sounds like a dog in a very high state of arousal/anticipation to me.

You could train him that barking means no forward progress towards the park.. only silence does.

As in stop walking towards park if he is barking. Start walking if silent?

Kavik: I always have a bum bag of cut up dog roll with me when out walking etc. He is not a food focused dog. I've tried all sorts of treats he usually doesnt get regularly at home too. He's just really focused on the other dog(s).

That appears to be a real shepherd MALE trait, Oliver did it all the time if it was any dog other than a GSD now he does it every now and again mainly at Cattle dogs. He was bitten by one on the nose as a puppy.

If he starts I make sure his attention is focussed on me food does not work as he is not food orinated either. I just talk to him and make out like it is a game we are playing just him and me together.

I think it is more a fear thing then any thing else they are scared that big other monster funny dog is going to get them.

He hasnt been bitten on the nose by another dog at some stage has he.

That appears to be a real shepherd MALE trait, Oliver did it all the time if it was any dog other than a GSD now he does it every now and again mainly at Cattle dogs. He was bitten by one on the nose as a puppy.

If he starts I make sure his attention is focussed on me food does not work as he is not food orinated either. I just talk to him and make out like it is a game we are playing just him and me together.

I think it is more a fear thing then any thing else they are scared that big other monster funny dog is going to get them.

Stupid males :mad:)

I will try getting his attention with a tennis ball next time. He cant take his eyes off it at home!

He hasnt been bitten on the nose by another dog at some stage has he.

No never been bitten by another dog. A bit of rough play with a staffy during puppy class but nothing harmful. Inface Kaiser seems to play really well with staffies (Could be my imagination tho! :) )

Thanks Isaviz :cry:

I would seriously consider getting rid of the harness and enrolling in training to teach loose lead walking if you haven't already. I have seen many dogs that have had reactivity issues like you describe either develop or worsen after a harness is put on as it does nothing to redirect the behaviour and increases frustration as they pull against it or lean into it. Hard to say if this is what has happened without seeing the dog but certainly a possibility.

I would seriously consider getting rid of the harness and enrolling in training to teach loose lead walking if you haven't already. I have seen many dogs that have had reactivity issues like you describe either develop or worsen after a harness is put on as it does nothing to redirect the behaviour and increases frustration as they pull against it or lean into it. Hard to say if this is what has happened without seeing the dog but certainly a possibility.

As in private training sessions??

I am teaching him to walk nicely on lead - i guess its what you'd describe as "loose lead training". I just dont want him to pull me and he is learning that quite well. He just barks and pulls like a maniac when another dog comes along...

Thanks Cosmolo :hitself:

He just barks and pulls like a maniac when another dog comes along...

now, this is not a 'just'!

there are a LOT of other dogs in the world, and only one YOU..he should be paying attention to YOU... :hitself:

At the moment, he is still not fully grown, and you can physically hold him. In a couple of months, he will be stronger....then, if both of you have not had some other help...there could be a mishap one day.

He pulled on a flat collar..so you get a harness. he is still pulling and being a noisy teenager in a harness....

I really think a private trainer could help turn things around for you sooner, rather than later.

YOU need a few more skills and some reassurance...

Best of luck

Riverstar, I'm certainly no behaviouralist (and I agree that if you possible can, seeing one would only help), but I would approach this a different way. One of my favourite sayings that I have learnt from others is "Be proactive, not Reactive". What I mean by this is that rather than trying to deal with this behaviour as & when it occurs on your walks, it might be a better idea to actually set something up where you can control the environment. Right now, the other dog/s & it's/their proximity is a variable that you cannot control. I am suggesting finding a friends non reactive dog, rather than a heap of dogs, where you can control the distance & reward with whatever it takes (and by this I mean if it takes a whole leg of lamb, then it's worth it) to win his attention before he starts to "Go Off". A tennis ball would be fine if that's his thing, but again, it would need to happen in a controlled environment, since he has to "get it" rather than be bribed by it (which may decrease it's value) & this would not be practical on the footpath. This way you can gradually reduce the his reactive distance with success.

I'm happy to be corrected by those more experienced but these were my initial thoughts.

Edited by Vickie

What i am suggesting is that a harness is not an effective tool for teaching him that in the presence of high distractions. If you do want a private trainer over that way, i know some good ones.

I actually got the harness because i wanted to save his throat from any potential damage while we sorted this problem out. Plus he is easier to control while wearing a harness.

I have PMed you regarding the trainer :(

Vickie:Thanks for the advice. Kaiser has met all my friend's dogs and have had no problems with them. He doesnt bark at them when onlead. I'll keep that in mind though :mad

Thanks for the help! :mad I really appreciate it!