Goodbye To A Great Old Lady.

Kaz

Dear Jess was given her wings today.

6 months ago I had a call from a man looking to rehome his rottweiler.

Some bright spark at the RSPCA had given him my number after they wouldn't accept her due to the fact she was 10 years old.

As he spoke her age, my heart dropped. How the hell was I going to rehome a 10 yr old rottie?

But in every other way she fit the bill for a dog who would be suited to my household.

Well, I refuse to be ageist so I said bring her round and if my dogs liked her, she could stay.

The man promptly broke down and cried. He had had this dog since a pup and an emergency meant he was going to have to move overseas for an unknown period of time. He just couldn't bear to put her down.

A few days later Jess arrived. And once again my heart sank as she was carried out of the car.

This was the most decrepit old dog I had seen in a long time. Her arthritis was severe and she had had an accident a few years back which had damaged her joints and tendons even further.

Jess was incredibly distressed when she was left here and spent hours sitting at the front window watching for her owner. However four days later she began to settle and relax. And eventually she seemed to think this had always been her home.

I advertised her as Free to Good home, but by the time some serious calls started coming through, She had become so much a part of the family that I couldn't bear to put her through another upheaval and I didn't want to part with her any way.

I took Jess to the vet within the first few days of taking her and a prescription of metacam seemed to make all the difference to her quality of life. Soon she couldn't bear it if the other dogs were playing and she didn't join in. She couldn't do much so would make this funny warbling growl, shake her head and hop/sway from side to side with excitement. The other dogs could tell how infirm she was so they would often lie in front of her so they could mouth wrestle with her without knocking her over.

Every night she would lie on her mattress at the foot of my bed and most of the day would be spent lazing around in front of the telly or basking in the sun on the back deck.

A week ago, Jess took a turn for the worse. She seemed very subdued and had trouble getting up from her bed and would have to be helped to her feet.

The vet diagnosed myelopathy. She was having trouble even finding where to put her feet.

There was no improvement over the next few days - in fact she seemed to worsen, And the light in her eyes was just no longer there.

With a heavy heart, Jess was given her wings today. I held her in my arms and we cuddled to the end.

I will miss my sweet grumpy old girl.

post-10848-1189690987_thumb.jpg

Jessie enjoying the sunshine on her last day.

Thanks guys.

Jess is sorely missed. I keep going to her corner to give her a pet and then remember she's no longer there.

She went out in true Jessie style however. She scoffed most of a huge pack of Vets Best Rewards and paid no attention at all to what was going on. I was lying on the floor along side her while she pigged out.

She went out doing what she loved doing best :thumbsup: She had a huge grin on her face.

My new rescue rottweiler arrived the same day which is keeping my mind and thoughts. occupied.

Edited by Kaz

I'm so sorry to hear that Jess is no longer with you, Kaz. You gave her the absolute best home she could ever have hoped for and I am sure that Jess and her previous owner will be eternally grateful for the time you spent with her and for being with her at the end. :thumbsup: