Not A Dog But Dog Lovers Can Love Cats Too

Some months ago, I started feeding Gussy on Optimum Dry (she's never been overly keen on wet food) and the difference it made to her coat and general appearance was wonderful.

However, she has put on a lot of weight and I am trying to feed her less.

The Optimum recommendation for a cat of her weight is a cup a day. It seems a huge amount and I am wondering what others think.

Gussy is a stray torti of about 8-9 years of age.

Arolf, join us in the Cat Forum under Off Topic but.....I can tell you that a lot of the commercial cat foods overestimate the amount of food cats require. Many cats will guts themselves stupid and put on weight without any effort :rofl: My cats get (each, per day split into 3 meals): one quarter of a cup of Eukanuba dry, 3 small chunks of chicken/beef/lamb plus one quarter of a tin of Fancy Feast OR a chicken neck (every other night) - they are inside cats (pretty active) and are in mint condition ;) At 8 or 9 your girl will not be particularly active so, like a dog, ensure she has a nice, visible "waist". If she is bolting her food, get a kitty treat ball to slow her down....I use one for my youngest cat and she loves it!!!

Thank you, ladies. Gussy comes walking with me around the block when I walk Tilly and Rover - the oldies. I wish I had a video of her running to catch up with her "undercarriage" swaying alarmingly.

Gussy is a grazer and eats very little at any one session; as the birds come into the garage to steal her food, I am never sure how much she actually eats. I have a new system, now, that I give her little meals through the day.

I will measure out 1/2 cup and spread that out through the day.

Here she is sunbathing. . . . . .

Thanks again.

post-1031-1190949378_thumb.jpg

I've had my boy on Hills TD for his teeth for about 4 years now - it saved us getting his teeth cleaned under aneasthetic (at his age I'm wary of that) and he eats about 1/3 cup morning and night. Mind you, he doesn't eat it all - a lot gets left as crumbs but he obviously gets enough to keep him happy and "active".... for a cat....

I have 2 cats and both are fed Hill's.Jinx is fed C/D as he had FLUTD and Link is fed R/D which is a weight reducing diet he has gone from 10Kg to 6.35kg in 10mths and is so much happier.They both get 1/4 Cup morning and night as hill tend to over estimate the feeding guide aswell.the difference in feeding R/D compared to light is that R/D has less calories and therefore weightloss is greater,Light is a maintainence food once weight is where you want it.

first pic is before R/D

fatcat001.jpg

after R/D

299.07003.jpg

Edited by sheree_e4

Gorgeous cat, Sheree. Certainly does look better after the weight loss. Gussy is just over 6kg and the vet wasn't particularly worried about her weight when she went for her annual vaccination a few weeks ago. But I have certainly cut down on her food and she is very eager for her meal when I give it to her.