Golden Retriever Not Walking On Lead

hollythegoldenretriever

Hi All,

I have run into a problem with my Golden Retriever, she is now nearing 7 months, but I cannot get her to walk on a leash.

I have checked out this thread: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=110779

Have tried, the reward, and praise as mentioned but still nothing works.

I find that she will be ok for the first 2 or 3 minutes, and then she wants to turn back home. She just stops and I cant get her moving at all.

I have even tried walking with other people in front, and that helps a little but she still stops after a couple of minutes.

As soon as I attach her lead to her collar, I cant get her to move, I have to carry her to the front gate.

Any ideas on how to get her enjoying the walk?

Thanks and any tips or advice would be great!

Adam.

Edited by hollythegoldenretriever

I would agree..vet check first .

You may also want to try something different....put her in the car..drive to a park, THEN take her on leash and see how far she goes.

If she is unwilling to walk in a park or wherever...then you need to do some serious detective work.

Has anything happened to her on a walk near home?

Has she been frightened/barked at...... ?

See what the vet says first.

Hope all is well

Edited by persephone

Hi All,

I have run into a problem with my Golden Retriever, she is now nearing 7 months, but I cannot get her to walk on a leash.

I have checked out this thread: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=110779

Have tried, the reward, and praise as mentioned but still nothing works.

I find that she will be ok for the first 2 or 3 minutes, and then she wants to turn back home. She just stops and I cant get her moving at all.

I have even tried walking with other people in front, and that helps a little but she still stops after a couple of minutes.

As soon as I attach her lead to her collar, I cant get her to move, I have to carry her to the front gate.

Any ideas on how to get her enjoying the walk?

Thanks and any tips or advice would be great!

Adam.

I had the same problem with my Goldie at the same age and I found it was the heat that was causing the problem. Even though he has a light coloured coat I find he doesn't work well in the heat, so have you tried walking him at night? It's worth a try :)

Edited by gsdog2

Hi All,

I have had her all checked with the Vet and she is as healthy as can be.

We have an off leash park around the corner from us, and she loves to be let loose, it is just that when she is only the leash, I cant get her to walk my way, only the direction she wants to go in. She is being very stubborn!!!

The VET did say she is a very timid and shy pup so that may have something to do with it. As at home, she is so active, running and jumping around!!!

Does she like her food?

Try having the leash in your right hand (dog on left side of you) and food in your left hand- near her nose- to "lure" her into walking with you. After a few steps, reward her with the food. Stretch out the time before you give her the food- she MUST be doing the right thing when you give it to her.

Practice for only a couple of minutes at a time and end with her doing the right thing, "good dog!" :)

Do it once or twice a day and gradually build up the time.

She loves her food, but the problem is she doesn't always like working for it.

Today I tried using treats and her favourite toy, and she slowly made a few steps, but still doesnt want to walk in my direction!

Tomorrow I am going to try driving to a different place, even somewhere 2 or so streets away and see how she is in a different environment.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated!

We have an off leash park around the corner from us, and she loves to be let loose, it is just that when she is only the leash, I cant get her to walk my way, only the direction she wants to go in. She is being very stubborn!!!

Will she walk on the lead to get to her park? Like if you parked where she could see it and then walked her on lead towards the park and gradually increase the distance?

Will she walk on the lead to get to her park? Like if you parked where she could see it and then walked her on lead towards the park and gradually increase the distance?

Hi,

Thats the problem, she will only walk in the direction of the park.

As soon as I get there she either wants to be let off leash, or we have to turn back, as she won't walk any further, and she doesn't walk in the opposite direction to the park, only to go home.

If you have a friend with a dog, ask them to walk with you. This might distract your puppy and she will follow the other dog.

I have a Goldie pup of similar age. He was a bit nervous out walking by himself but okay with the 2 older bitches and would bound along after them. Now he is okay by himself.

God luck.

what about this

drive a couple of houses up the streets and walk her back home

if the dog wont do that...drive just past one house so she can see ur house and get her to walk back

id not give up

use food use praise...

practise at home just around the lounge room ...have her on a leash and u might sit on the couch then move to another chair and so on ...do it a couple of times a day ...and gently coax her..with food or toys..make a game of it

she just has to desensitise to that feeling of being led...does she like other dogs? can u borrow another dog..sometimes they walk better in a pack

good luck