How Long To Clip & Groom A Maltese/shitzu

By the way, a question. When I lived in Melbourne, I used to go to a salon and they used to do between my shitzu's nose between the eyes, it was almost shaved. You could feel the skin, it was really smooth.

The groomer up here doesn't do that, just a question, do many people do this? I quite liked it. (I probably haven't explained it very well)

I will do this if that is what the client wants, or if I have the choice to do what I want I will if its gunna look better. It really suits the shape of some dogs faces, but can look a bit dicky on some.

Just explain it to your groomer next time, or show them a photo if you have one and I dont see any reason why they would not be able to do this.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to hijack, but can one of you professional groomers please tell me what i should be using to lubricate or clean my clippers and blades with?

I have Andis clippers with Oster blades and I have no idea how to care for them.

They will be used about every six weeks or so on one dog.

Thanks heaps :)

Singer Sewing oil.

Old toothbrush is useful for getting the fur out.

When Ive finished with a blade I brush out any hair in it and soak them in Kero and a dash of motor oil. Not for long. The guy who does my blades always laughs because by the time they need sharpening again, they still look just done. In other words the are well kept with this method. And If your blades getting hot you can dunk it in while the blades still running, and it will cool right down so you can continue using it.

• 9 months later...
what do groomers do to the anal glands????

Hi guys, here is some info on squeezing Anal Glands, it has to be done regularly, if you don't the little jets entering the Colon in the glands block some times, and the Anal Glands turns into a abscesses, then it blows out backwards, and if you don't treat it, things go downhill from there on, a good groomer should do it automaticly, but it is not really the groomers job to do it, it means the dog is on the wrong foods/diet, poohs are to sloppy!

A dog has to squeeze hard his poohs out, and at the same time he expresses his own glands whilst in the act.

Check the link below for the info in the pix.

post-8666-1215600673_thumb.jpg

Typical Maltese x takes me about 45mins.

I dont pre clip unless very matted, so straight to the tub. Wash, then force dry. Clip off with anything from a #3 to a #7 depending on the owner. #10 around sanitary area's, arm pitts, between pads etc. Shape face and tidy ears and tail. Also pluck and clean ears and trim nails.

Add about 15 mins if dog is very matted, difficult to groom or i am feeling Lazy.

Make no mistake i do a darn good job and know many groomers who can complete a full groom from start to finish in this time.

For me it takes about an hour and a half to two hours (I'm still only training though and i don't have much experience atm) for a clip that looks presentable - I'm slowly getting better but I've found that a lot of people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to their dog eg, a woman asked me to give her "groodle" a clip that suited a standard poodle - had a picture of what she wanted and everything. Trouble was her dog was matted down to the skin, was incredibly dirty (and stained) and didn't have wool! When i told her i couldn't do it she yelled at me! Apparently she bought the dog because she wanted it clipped like a poodle, without having a poodle - she didn't realise that her dog didn't have the wooly poodle coat!

I do a pre clip (if matted), bath/dry, #10 bum/arm pitts/feet clip, body clip (depends on what owner wants) and then scissor the face and ears and clip nails. If the dog needs it i also do the anal glands. I will hopefully get faster as i go, though it'll take a long long time I'm sure!

Typical Maltese x takes me about 45mins.

Clip off with anything from a #3 to a #7

I only clip that short in the height of summer and so yes a full clip can be done quite quickly then, otherwise I style the coats longer which takes me longer. If only I could charge summer and then winter prices, lol.

eta: Shell, from memory your course is distance learning? If you ever need a hand with anything you are welcome to come to Terrey Hills (Nthn Beaches) for some help or perhaps look at other dog clips etc : )

Edited by Clyde

I do what the owner wants. Some like very very short, so a #5 or #7 it is. Regular is normally a #3 but that still requires alot is scissoring. If the owner wants longer again then i will go into combs or a hand scissor. This does take longer and i do charge more for this.

For me it takes about an hour and a half to two hours (I'm still only training though and i don't have much experience atm) for a clip that looks presentable - I'm slowly getting better but I've found that a lot of people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to their dog eg, a woman asked me to give her "groodle" a clip that suited a standard poodle - had a picture of what she wanted and everything. Trouble was her dog was matted down to the skin, was incredibly dirty (and stained) and didn't have wool! When i told her i couldn't do it she yelled at me! Apparently she bought the dog because she wanted it clipped like a poodle, without having a poodle - she didn't realise that her dog didn't have the wooly poodle coat!

I do a pre clip (if matted), bath/dry, #10 bum/arm pitts/feet clip, body clip (depends on what owner wants) and then scissor the face and ears and clip nails. If the dog needs it i also do the anal glands. I will hopefully get faster as i go, though it'll take a long long time I'm sure!

Oh thank doG I thought I was the only one. I am very new (in fact have only done two malt X's) and it took me two hours for both. I did a lot of hand scissoring on both and left them quite long - too long for one ladies liking and she is back this Saturday (is still 6 weeks since she was done) for me to take it off by half!

We don't really offer full grooming, but I am finding more people are happy to let me give it a go, so hopefully my skills and time will improve. I thought I would do this one on Saturday with a snap on all over (including legs) and really limit the scissoring, #10 essentials of course.

Do the pro's shampoo twice? I have been but it takes me a good 15 - 20 minutes in the bath if I do this and quite a bit of water to rinse properly, the results are fantastic but I wonder if it is overkill. Any suggestions most welcome.

Yep, 45 mins to an hour on average. I can remember when I first started it would take me 3 hours :clap: You just get better as you go along. I use to only use scissors on the head but have now perfected the clippers to my satisfaction. I use the stainless steel clip ons a lot, they are fantastic, don't flip off like the plastic ones do.

I do two shampoos and it takes around 5 mins to do whole bath and rinse. I don't hydrobath, I only use fresh water for each rinse. My god Bluefox, I don't mean to be rude but 20 mins ? ;) That sounds like my OH in the shower :clap:

Oh, and I think I should put my prices up, $40 if in reasonable condition.

too long for one ladies liking and she is back this Saturday (is still 6 weeks since she was done) for me to take it off by half!

Please tell me you are charging for this. It does not take 6 weeks to work out you want it shorter. 6 weeks is a normal time between grooms.

Like Clyde most of my grooms are a lot longer than a 3 blade.

Yep, 45 mins to an hour on average. I can remember when I first started it would take me 3 hours :p You just get better as you go along. I use to only use scissors on the head but have now perfected the clippers to my satisfaction. I use the stainless steel clip ons a lot, they are fantastic, don't flip off like the plastic ones do.

I do two shampoos and it takes around 5 mins to do whole bath and rinse. I don't hydrobath, I only use fresh water for each rinse. My god Bluefox, I don't mean to be rude but 20 mins ? :) That sounds like my OH in the shower :happydance:

Oh, and I think I should put my prices up, $40 if in reasonable condition.

I know Ceilidh it is way too long! ;) Perhaps not that long for a SWF but 10 minutes at least for one of them. The 20 minutes was for an Irish Wolfie X I did the other night. By the time I rinse really thoroughly twice and then do the conditioner, and then rinse again, until I'm doubly sure there is no residue it just seems to take ages. Once again it is probably just practice until I get a speedy reliable system.

Oh yes I am charging her full price Ari - she was booked in for 8 weeks, but she rang yesterday and said dog was chewing at her paws and she was having trouble keeping her mat free so I brought her appointment forward. Initially she wanted me to just shorten her paws but she was happy with my suggestion to bring her appointment forward.

I use the stainless steel clip ons a lot, they are fantastic, don't flip off like the plastic ones do.

I've had some near misses with the plastic ones coming off!!! They flip off and you are left with a very short blade on their skin :happydance:

I use the stainless steel clip ons a lot, they are fantastic, don't flip off like the plastic ones do.

I've had some near misses with the plastic ones coming off!!! They flip off and you are left with a very short blade on their skin :happydance:

I've got the stainless steel ones so I'm glad their good. I can take chunks out without combs coming off ;)

eta: Shell, from memory your course is distance learning? If you ever need a hand with anything you are welcome to come to Terrey Hills (Nthn Beaches) for some help or perhaps look at other dog clips etc : )

Yep - by distance - though it's not a good course. At the moment because i have friends with dogs who need grooming (lots of uni students who could put the money to better use like to buy food!!) and so I've got a lot of x-breed rescue dogs being brought over for me to do but if i ever get the time you can guarantee i'll be straight over to the northern beaches Clyde!!

With the shampoo, maybe you aren't diluting it enough??

Oh and if the wolfie cross has a wolfie coat texture, then NO conditioner! :laugh:

Pretty sure the shampoo is diluted properly. I am using Plush Puppy and as it is quite expensive I have been very careful with the dilution, measuring it out by medicine cup :love:

My poor old wolfie cross doesn't have much of a coat at all. They (and the vet) think he had a heart attack some 4 - 5 months ago and since then his top coat is basically falling out. He has nearly no guard hairs, just soft, downy undercoat - quite thick. He is deaf as a post, and quite stiff through the back so I suppose I was extra careful with him. He was lovely actually, the sound of the hydrobath and the dryer were completely lost on him so he wasn't concerned at all.

• 2 months later...

I know this is a little off topic.. but i want to look for a really good groomer for my pure malt. Mainly for the paws, clipping of nails, glands and ears.

I live in Strathfield area.. can anyone recommend me a good groomer?

This might be off-topic too, if there's already a thread about this please advise.

Reading all the posts I'm thinking about my little scruff-ball. She got desexed yesterday and I wasn't able to get her clipped before so she's quite messy. I just didn't realise as a first timer that apparently half of the ACT would be getting their dogs spruced up right now. Now she's been zapped I'll have to wait a while longer too, and she's ponging a bit due to her habit of sticking her nose into her groin (vet receptionist told me they do it because they can, and vet said she doesn't have anything wrong to be causing it, she just does it).

My question is: Buju is young, 5 months, and until about 2 weeks ago was really good when I combed and brushed her. Now she's a devil (out of that little fear stage at the same time, she's bold now). No problem bathing, but so's she doesn't seem like a foot mat when I do get her clipped what's the best I should be doing regularly? Taking her to the vets was embarassing enough. And is there any way I can get her rather calm before we go to a groomer?

She's a Lhasa Maltese cross, and as the weather warms up her hair is growing quicker. She's noticing the heat too, which is why I tried the other week to get her done.

For you groomers, what is an ideal client? (dog, not the human, lol)

Thanks

Sorry to hijack, but can one of you professional groomers please tell me what i should be using to lubricate or clean my clippers and blades with?

I have Andis clippers with Oster blades and I have no idea how to care for them.

They will be used about every six weeks or so on one dog.

Thanks heaps :confused:

Hi Guys,sorry to interven,and a bit late to boot.If you follow the details below HOW TO LOOK AFTER YOUR BLADES,you will get a lot more out of your blades life.

HOW TO OIL & CARE YOUR CLIPPER BLADES!

Thank you for wanting to know how to look after your equipment & blades.

Below you will see a picture of a clipper blade, and the areas that is important to oil, where you see the YELLOW dots . only use a small drop of oil as it will end up in the next lot of fur it encounters, rememeber after you oil, let the clipper run for at least 5 seconds before you try to cut again, to let the oil to relocate all over the blade, and the blade to settle in, the main oiling has to oil from behind the tynes, not from the front of them.

Also it is important to put a drop of oil onto the tip of the lever that moves the top cutter.

If you oil correctly with Singer Sewing Machine Oil ONLY, it will soak into the pores of the metal, and when the blade gets hot, the oil thins & seeps back into play , hence lubricating the moving parts.(keeping things cool) You can buy "Singer Sewing Machine Oil" at any Woolworths for $2.00 for 100 mls. DON'T BUY HANDY OIL!

TRY NOT TO USE THE OTHER COOLING AGENTS ON THE MARKET AS THE SINGER SEWING MACHINE OIL WILL DO THE SAME JOB FOR VERY LITTLE MONEY.

If your blades goes FRIZZY in the coat after you get them back from the sharpener, it means that the tension is to tight, (hot blades) or not tight enough (cold blades), if this is the case email me back, and I will show you how to try to fix it, yourself, the blade maybe sharpe, but not set correctly, you yourself can do this with my FREE help.

PLUS IT WILL HELP YOU TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT CLIPPER BLADES

Go to this site below for blade & clipper hints, you will find it is full of information, you are welcome to browse around.

http://www.freewebs.com/clipperbladesharpe...lipperhints.htm

http://www.freewebs.com/clipperbladesharpe...bleshooting.htm

post-8666-1224190043_thumb.jpg

I hope this has helped you with your blades to run as they should cut (CRISP) if I can help you at any other time with advise, please feel free to contact me with any inquiry, Regards, nicestguy77 . (Colin)

EASY SPA DOGGIE BATH

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m54/nic...ADOGGIEBATH.gif

========

FOR SOME GROOMING TIPS, GO TO THE SITES BELOW

Grooming Basics with Linda Kay - Grooming Equipment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy9Q_WrcYBQ

Grooming Basics with Linda Kay - Teddy Bear Cut for Gracie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVIdVFcvJvg

Grooming Basics with Linda Kay - Part 1 - Nail Care

Grooming Basics with Linda Kay - Canine Teeth Care

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Id0rj4oEC4

Grooming Basics with Linda Kay - Canine Ear Care