How Long To Clip & Groom A Maltese/shitzu

Hi, I'm interested to know on average how long it takes a groomer to clip the average maltese/shitzu with some matts but coat in not too bad a condition. My next question then is what is the average rate per hour to charge for doing a clip? Interested to hear from groomers.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi for the scenario you have described it would take me around 45 minutes from start to finish including the bath, blow dry, nails, anal glands and of course the clipping.

I would charge around $50

Wow that is quick. Do you straight away wash the dog or do you do a first clip then wash and dry then final clip? Does that include doing paw pads, #10 essentials, scissoring and everthing?

what do groomers do to the anal glands????

Squeeze them. Some smaller dogs (especially) get anal glands that are over-full and if the stuff leaks out in the house it stinks (worse than poo).

I do both dogs when I bath them, just in case (about monthly).

Sign of a problem is if dog scoots along on it's bum.

$50 is a reasonable price. Many groomers charge more, especially in inner city areas. It's far more work than a human haircut.

Best to make sure the groomer is going to do all the things you want e.g nails.

A photo of a clip you like is helpful to avoid miscommunication. Groomer should say if it's unrealistic (depends on the dog's coat and what's underneath :champagne: ).

It would take me about 1 1/2 to do my miniature poodle at home (similar size to your dog) because I don't have all the gear and my skills aren't up to that of a pro groomer. eta: I bath the day before, so that's not including bath + dry. I brush and comb before clipping, again.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I do:

Full body clip (either very short or a bit of length and shaped) including feet, 10# essentials as you described, shaped face etc

Wash

Blow Dry

Nails clipped if needed

Ears cleaned and plucked

Anal glads if needed

Cologne

My price is $55 to $60 depending on the condition of the dogs coat and takes me around 1 hour to 1 hour 15 mins for a dog that is reasonable co operative. A bit longer if they are a little bugger.

Matted coats need to come off short, and I charge more as it takes a while to get bad matting off and wrecks you blades and scissors.

Edited by BC

Squeeze them. Some smaller dogs (especially) get anal glands that are over-full and if the stuff leaks out in the house it stinks (worse than poo).

That is gross!

So I should squeeze them on Blayd once a month??!

I don't even know how to find them. yuck. will stuff come out?? gross!

He did scoot on his bum the first week i got him... i didn't know what it was, but he only did it for the one day or so and hasn't done it since.

It was in the house though. Gross. I hope nothing came out.

Ugh... shouldn't have eaten breakfast before reading this lol

sorry for the thread hijack... i'm just... perplexed. And grossed out!

Dont do it unless you have been shown by your vet how to do it, and they need to be done. If he has a good diet this should be done naturally.

There is a technique to it, and it is not pleasant. Stinks, to the point of watery eyes and spew in your mouth if you have never seen or smelt it before, and can shoot out like rocket, so you need to keep your face out of the way.

45 minutes are you serious.

There is no way we would do it in that time even if it was a close clip off.

presuming the dog is co operative (stands still,accepts the clippers,hair dryer etc etc) ,depending on the type of trim you want & the type of knots & without rushing the dog hour/half.

We charge $50

Maltese & cross malts often have paper thin skin so much care is needed not to cut them so we never rush

That is gross!

So I should squeeze them on Blayd once a month??!

I don't even know how to find them. yuck. will stuff come out?? gross!

He did scoot on his bum the first week i got him... i didn't know what it was, but he only did it for the one day or so and hasn't done it since.

It was in the house though. Gross. I hope nothing came out.

Ugh... shouldn't have eaten breakfast before reading this lol

sorry for the thread hijack... i'm just... perplexed. And grossed out!

Only worry if he starts to scoot again (and is wormed)- the vet can do them.

Less often a problem in a dog Blayd's size.

45 minutes are you serious.

There is no way we would do it in that time even if it was a close clip off.

presuming the dog is co operative (stands still,accepts the clippers,hair dryer etc etc) ,depending on the type of trim you want & the type of knots & without rushing the dog hour/half.

Same. I charge $55.

I am very good at my job and I definately do it in 45 minutes :) I can do a lamb clip on to/ mini poodle including FFT in just over an hour.

If I'm having a lazy day add an extra 15 minutes.

I do not miss anything if a dog is matted it is clipped before the bath if not it goes straight in, all dogs are blow dried immediately not left to cage dry.

All dogs (if neede of course) have ears plucked, nails cut and anal glands emptied.

All dogs have underarms and groin clipped with a 10#.

OH and I add Lustre Aid at the end.

I am very offended by the comments made by a couple of people. It's a shame others have to be so bloody rude.

I am very offended by the comments made by a couple of people. It's a shame others have to be so bloody rude.

Nicole I think you've taken comments the wrong way. Just because one person says it takes them longer at another to do something, it doesn't mean either person is more adept. People work differently. I've seen someone take two and a half hours to do a job and it's crap at the end anyway. Different strokes..........

I don't think it's fair for you to accuse anyone of being 'bloody rude' - it's not a competition, just a discussion.

Edited by Dru

For this breed of dog we charge $45.

This is:

First clip

Bath

Blow dry

Nails

Ears

Eyes de gunked,

Final clip and scissoring

We do the groin and under arms with a 10

If the coat is extremely matted we charge a matt fee of $5 (but to be honest hardly ever enforce it) and if the dog has fleas we automatically use a flea rinse and charge $5 for that (and do enforce this).

We take about 1hr 30 but could be longer if there are a lot of matts. We try to not stress the dog out so will give it a break if it is geting too stressed.

Thanks for your replies on the clipping time guys, it is very interesting. Any further inputs would be appreciated. Does it take anyone longer than one/half hours? Also lets say the dog has pretty bad matts all over and is a real figit bum, hiding everypart of it's body from you that you're trying to work on - would this take twice as long and so would you charge twice as much accordingly? Also any feedback on why little dogs detest having their front legs clipped?

Thanks for your replies on the clipping time guys, it is very interesting. Any further inputs would be appreciated. Does it take anyone longer than one/half hours? Also lets say the dog has pretty bad matts all over and is a real figit bum, hiding everypart of it's body from you that you're trying to work on - would this take twice as long and so would you charge twice as much accordingly? Also any feedback on why little dogs detest having their front legs clipped?

No, a real bugger normally takes me 1.5 hours max.

I will charge $55 normally and $60 for matted hair. I dont charge any extra than that regardless of the dogs behaviour.

Any dogs will hate having their legs/feet clipped if they have not had them handled properly from a young age, or "grooming trained", or if something has hurt them in the past, eg, nails clipped too short or if they have been cut etc. They remember it hurt and anticipate it happening again.

I had a little dog last week, that went absolutely coco bananas when I went near his bum. I soon found out that 2 weeks prior he had a prostate check at the vets and was squealing the whole time, so there is always a reason.

We got there in the end with assistance from a muzzel :)

I think one of the major factors in grooming is your dog handling skills. I dont allow the dog to hide anything from me.

I always have said anyone can clip a dog, but not everyone can handle a dog. You get all sorts to groom, agressive, submissive, frightened, bouncy, snappy, squealers, puppies for their first groom, adults that have never been groomed, dogs matted and in pain etc and need to be able to handle each and every one with minimal fuss and get the job done.

Edited by BC

Sorry if your offended but if your bathing in that time your saying you can clip a dog in 35 mins i still say no way unless its a every 4-6 weeks & not much of trim & the dog is in perfect condition .

I consider myself to be a very good groomer too but i wouldnt rush a dog in that time .

Chocolate the behaviour of the dog impacts the time greatly.

Some dogs freak at the clippers so patience is a must ,some dogs have no idea how to stand.some simply just fight you as they have no idea & until they understand whats expected it takes aslong as it does.

Some dogs come in so matted every time they fear the groomer as there the one who is doing the dirty work & although you can see the life come into the dogs faces once matt free but they associate the groomer with the unpleasantness.

The coat condition is also a big factor if the knots arent too bad they can be groomed out but we dont rush this either,it does hurt even with the best tools used

We find most shih tzus & cross fluffies to be little monsters to groom at first & yes most hate there front legs being done but with patience,training & consistancy they soon learn to co operate.

many of the little fluffies generally dont go to the groomer until there 12 months & overgrown & beyond the owners ability to maintain so it can be very tiring on the dog & the first clip is very important as it will have 12 yrs of this.

We also never drug a dog,some groomers will give the dog sedatives so they co operate better for us thats not an option