Feeding Once A Day

Guest Tiggy

I was just wondering how many people feed their dogs once a day. I've always fed my adult dogs once a day without any problems. I feed BARF. I alternate between raw meaty bones and BARF patties. I've tried feeding twice a day but my dogs don't get alot of food anyway. For example dinner might be a chicken frame, I'm not going to cut it in half when they're quite capable of eating it in one meal. I found I was feeding too much food when I tried twice a day feeding and I don't want fat dogs. I'm just feeling like a meanie. ;)

There's nothing wrong with feeding once a day, lots of people do it, however I prefer to feed mine twice a day.

It helps decrease the chances of bloat and some would say it is better for their metabolism. That was certainly the case when I had a goldie who needed to lose a few kilos :) ;)

I feed BARF as well and feed twice a day, i think you are supposed to feed twice a day on BARF though.....

They get a frame for breakfast and the meat/veggies for tea. My dogs are fed 80% RMB and 20% meat, veggies, offal etc

How much are they getting fed?

BARF feeder here too and my dogs are fed twice a day. I've always believed that BARF fed dogs were supposed to be fed twice a day. With deep chested dogs I believe it's safer than giving one larger meal a day. Anything that decreases the chance of Bloat is good.

I'm pretty sure Billinghurst (in Give Your Dog a Bone) says to feed once a day, and recommends that you skip feeding one day a week.

But I ignore him. My crew all get brekky and tea.

A meat cleaver quickly resolves the problem of a full chichen frame being too much and lets you give the fattier end to the skinnier dog when you cut the frames up.

I'm going to feed them twice a day :thumbsup: . Raw meaty bones for breakfast and a raw mix of mince, liver, vegetables/fruit, egg and yoghurt with supplements for dinner. This is the same as the meal plan in the third BARF book. I decided to start making my own raw mix again as the BARF patties are far too expensive for three dogs. Thanks for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

i was wondering about this too. mine only get fed once a day, but are constantly on the scrounge for food on our walks in the morning( although my wei would eat paper :thumbsup: ,he's that food obsessed).

thought it might settle them down a bit, might try giving them a handfull early, before we go out. ;)

i was wondering about this too. mine only get fed once a day, but are constantly on the scrounge for food on our walks in the morning( although my wei would eat paper :thumbsup: ,he's that food obsessed).

thought it might settle them down a bit, might try giving them a handfull early, before we go out. ;)

I feed mine 3 times a day till 6 months, then twice a day till 12 months. After 12 months, it's down to once a day. As my current 2 are 11 months and 9 months they are getting dry food (Royal Canin) in the morning., usually with some leftover veges mixed in, and raw bones or chicken wings in the evening.

I think it may also depend on the size of the dog. I feed my greyhounds twice a day for a couple of reasons. One is that they are a breed susceptible to bloat, so two smaller meals rather than one big one is recommended as one of the methods to reduce the risk. Also,most greyhounds are used to two meals...thats usually what they get in the racing kennels. But, in the past when I have had other breeds (small & large) I have fed one meal a day with no problems. I think whatever works for you dogs should be fine. :thumbsup: