Desexing

I will be taking my dog to get de-sexed tomorrow and was wondering if there are things that i should look out for after the operation. This is the first time i have had to look after a dog being desexed.

Do i need extra towels to keep him warm, do i need to keep him still or will he be fine to run around etc. Will the operation hurt him afterwards.

Thanks

I'm a vet nurse and I would reccomend that you keep him quiet for a couple of days - no jumping for toys etc,regular walking is fine.

Don't let him lick too much as he may try to pull the stitches out so may need an elizabethan collar.

Treat him like normal just no excessive running and jumping.

Males get over desexing usually within 24hrs you would not even know they have been done.

If nylon stitches are put in these are generally removed in 10 days.

GOODLUCK.

oh and don't let him eat anything after 6pm tonight only fluids. :thumbsup:

eta - most vets will give a long acting pain killer when they are sedated and will send home a pain pack with rimadyl or something similer

Edited by sheree_e4

That is good advice from sheree.

I would add that if your boy has large testicles, and the scrotum is not going to be removed, then it is even more important that he be kept quiet after desexing, because this can swell up with fluid. You can apply an icepack to the area every now and then to help avoid swelling.

Don't worry, it is a minor operation.

Im a bit worried about trying to quiet him down as my dog likes to jump up and around chasing birds. And because i am at my parents place i will not allowed to bring him inside the house and he will have to be kept outside on the chain :thumbsup: Is this ok for him ?

if he is used to this and the area is clean...

Gosh...

My friends dog who we thought was secure on his chain( he broke out of EVERYWHERE) broke free jumped a fence and hung himself.. Sorry,but this can happen! Is there an alternative to chaining..not to mention a chained dog is at a higher risk of biting! SORRY just IMHO

Im a bit worried about trying to quiet him down as my dog likes to jump up and around chasing birds. And because i am at my parents place i will not allowed to bring him inside the house and he will have to be kept outside on the chain :thumbsup: Is this ok for him ?

Do you have an undercover veranda?

If so I would buy a crate and keep him confined unless you can supervise him in the yard - here is the cheapest I've found CHEAP DOG CRATE

Until you get one can you confine him to the laundry?

DO NOT leave him tied up after de-sexing he could get tangled in the chain and burst his stitches.

I also found with my dog who used to jump out of the yard if he had a elisabethan collar on he would not jump out as he could not judge the jump properly.

eta - clarify what I meant.

Edited by sheree_e4

The dog really needs to be inside after he's had surgery. You need to keep your eye on him to make sure he is recovering well. Will your parents not let him in while he is sick If you take him into your room with you and close the door.

I would tell your parents that if he must be outside then you will stay outside with him for the night. He needs to be kept warm and in clean surroundings. He should not be left outside alone.

the last pup i had was very sooky after the op

he was actually moaning a bit so we kept things very quiet but then HE kept himself quiet ..didnt feel like moving i guess

i suppose it depends on the breed and the individuals in that breed ..how they cope with pain...

it really feels awful to see them in that state...knowing u inflicted it on a healthy wagging dog that morning....

but it has to be done

no ifs

no nothings

( still makes me feel gushy thinking about the pain tho...lol...no wonder some blokes insist on never having muttley desexed !!!)

Your dog realy needs to be kept inside, and kept warm when he gets home from the vet's. All of my guys (except 'precious' Clover) have been fine after desexing. Elvis got home and wanted to wrestle with Clover as soon as he walked in the door. My Harri goes in on monday to be desexed, he will be interesting to keep quiet.

AS long as your dog has a warm dry kennel, and is used to the chain, I don't see too much of a problem.

If he is NOT used to being chained for long periods..you really do need to think about where he can sleep /rest for a few days. he could get upset and do more damage :laugh:

Give him extra things to chew..an extra treat ball or something, and try and have hime with you over the weekend as much as you can.

You will need to somehow stop him licking/chewing stitches tho, and putting one of those elizabethan collars on a chained dog is not the ideal :rofl:

Speak to your vet.They will probably have some spray that you can spray AROUND the wound to stop him worrying at it.

Well i just got news from the vet and my dog is fine. And they said the operation went well :laugh:

In regards to the chain, i have arranged with my parents to keep my dog in the laundry for first night when he comes home. Atm chewy will be staying overnight at the vet so they can observe him. So all is good. I feel bad about desexing him (the snip). The vet also let me know about the implant type of desexing but it seems to be more costly in the long run. I dont want to bring my dog every six months into the vet to get anesthetic and implants for the rest of his life. So i think i did the right thing :)

Well i just got news from the vet and my dog is fine. And they said the operation went well :laugh:

In regards to the chain, i have arranged with my parents to keep my dog in the laundry for first night when he comes home. Atm chewy will be staying overnight at the vet so they can observe him. So all is good. I feel bad about desexing him (the snip). The vet also let me know about the implant type of desexing but it seems to be more costly in the long run. I dont want to bring my dog every six months into the vet to get anesthetic and implants for the rest of his life. So i think i did the right thing :)

Happy to hear he is OK. You did the right thing. My boy Ziggy is booked in for his op next Friday...hope it goes as well as Chewy's obviously has. Glad he can stay in the laundry too.