Ear Infection Question

J...

Quick question about ear infections, I had Darcy at the vets Tuesday AM for a nasty ear infection - she's got a perforated ear drum :p

Anyway vet checked it out with the scope, doesn't appear to be anything in it and gave me some cortisone tablets for her and some antibacterial drops.

Wouldn't you treat an ear infection with antibiotics??? :thumbsup: Thats what I thought the drops were until I checked out what they really were.

I have to call the vet back and let them know how she is tomorrow morning, if there's no real improvement then they're going to put her under GA and check it out properly. :laugh:

Hmmmm, perforated ear drum doesn't sound good, has she had the infection a while maybe?

My first goldie had an almost constant ear infection for over 12 months with an ear drum that had been eaten away by the infection (he was a rescue and came to me like that) - we only ever had drops.

I used to bath my boys ears with Colloidal Silver (natural antibiotic) which was very effective.

Hope Darcy's ears are all clear soon!:thumbsup:

the antibacterial drops would do the same job as antibiotics both kill the bacteria...the steroids tablets are to help heal the ear alot quicker

When Humphrey gets his infections its usually caused by yeast. We have ear cleaner and antibiotics, then change his diet a bit to avoid grains. Clears it up in no time

FP, i got antibiotics when mitch had an infection because she had ulcerated ear drums, i also had drops.

I think unless the infection if rampant at the time, vets prefer not to give antibiotics.

Well that is what my experience with my vets has been

My boy had the same prob.. i took him to the vet this week..

i have ear clener she gave me, it was a mild one cos she said his ear drum might not be in tack, i have to take him back next week, also he is on antibiotics to kill the germ and steroids to help with the swollen part of his ear, Poor bugga..

My mouth droped to the ground when she said how much.. I didnt think it would of cost how much they charged me.. But owell..

I was iffy to give him steroids cos he is a stud dog i wasnt sure if it would make him sterile but the vet said he will be fine :mad

She said the steroids would only make him thursty more and wanna eat more.. She said dont give him any more food then what you are giving him now :(

Edited by Daxhound

Thanks for the info guys - its very helpful!

I rang the vets this morning, they asked if the ear was bothering her much and I said no, but it wasn't bothering her much at all to start with which makes it hard to tell :mad So they said keep up the treatment and ring them back next week. The vet reckons if there was something in it it would be really bothering her but she's her usual bouncy self. I took her to training Tuesday night with the vets approval and she was fine, even a little more nutty than usual!

Forgot to ask about getting something to clean it out with, its still a bit mucky I hope from the drops & residual of what was there originally :( I've given the top of the ear a gentle clean with a tissue and then a few cotton buds (top only not anywhere near the canal itself) just so I can guage how gunky it really is... if its grotty in the morning she's going back to the vet!

Dax I didn't even see the bill other than to know its around the $95 - $100 mark total - I get paid monthly on the 15th so I told them I'd pay it then. Funny how with the horse I get a 30 day a/c but with the dog and cats it needs to be paid within 7 days max! :rofl: Oh and she won't be getting any more food either - I put her on the scales while I was there Tuesday and she's put on a kg!!! :D Guess who's back on a diet this week!

Well we're at day 5, spoke to the vet Friday who said that if there was something in her ear she'd be really bothered by it, and to call back again Wednesday for another progress call.

She seems ok, still flipping her ear occasionally but I imagine thats because of the drops I'm putting in her ear?

Her ear looks clean (except for the residual of the drops obviously) but am still a bit worried as it was so hard to pick up last time and was already quite nasty :thumbsup:

Still looks a bit red but once again hard to tell cos I'm stuffing around with it twice a day.

I think I'd rather take her back in and get it properly checked to make sure...

Anyone got any advice???

If the eardrums are perforated, I'd ask the vet for advice before using anything other than what's prescribed.

Malaseb (antibacterial-antifungal shampoo) diluted 1:50 with water is a good ear cleaner and suitable for mild infections. But with perforated eardrums, I'd ask the vet first!