What's Wrong With My "cocker" ?

frank

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you're describing is a training issue, not one of temperament.

Is it biting or mouthing?

Training needs only to be about 10 minutes per day. Though now you have this problem, it will take extra time/ hassle to ensure dog and child are separated.

Talk to your breeder about what's going on and ask about possibly returning the dog if you're not able to put some time into training.

At least you're being honest and saying you're not willing to train. Better to look at other options now rather than months down the track when behaviour is worse, or someone demands the dog is PTS. You're right- it's not OK for a dog to be biting a child- but this does seem to be fixable judging purely from what you've said. It may not be, but only a trainer who sees your dog and family could establish this.

judging by peoples reaction here , and there seems to be a bit of anger present .

perhaps the best thing is for the dog to go, before serious injury occurs.

This is not anger, Frank. It is a very firm assertion that the problem is likely to have been created by you and that this situation needs to be addressed promptly and appropriately. Nor is this a judgement - there are many people who have made mistakes that has concluded in disasterous outcomes. There are also many people who have made mistakes and taken on board the advice given (ie seek professional help) and have achieved happy endings.

We are hoping that this is a situation that can be turned around now - before it is too late and before anything more serious has eventuated.

These posts are designed to help you Frank .... but they are written with a note of gravity as we can clearly see the likely potential for disaster, but simultaneously recognise the potential for a happy ending if you take the advice given seriously.

For your son's sake and for your dog's sake, we are urging you to take the path towards a happy ending. :D

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Erny

Frank, thank your lucky stars this pup has good bite inhibition and call the breeder.

If you are not prepared to commit to a program of behaviour modification, I'd be returning the pup. Don't kid yourself another breed will be different. Any pup, not given boundaries about what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't could turn out like this.

You might be better off with an adult dog. I'd still be wanting to know more about your son's interactions with the pup. What prompted the bite this time? How did your son manage to get his face so close to the pup?

judging by peoples reaction here , and there seems to be a bit of anger present .

perhaps the best thing is for the dog to go, before serious injury occurs.

My response to you was written from being a parent and a dog lover. I would hate to ever face visiting one of my children in hospital after having them bitten by a family pet. That is why I have suggested that if you are unable to devote time to correcting this behaviour or are unable to correct this behaviour to perhaps look at re housing the dog before any serious injury happens. Plus you don't want you son to become afraid of dogs. I can understand that both you and your wife have time restraints and that life can be a difficult balancing act but this sitution needs to be resolved before it becomes more serious, either you need to seriously address training issues with sound guidance or look at re housing the dog.

What you're describing is a training issue, not one of temperament.

Is it biting or mouthing?

Training needs only to be about 10 minutes per day. Though now you have this problem, it will take extra time/ hassle to ensure dog and child are separated.

Talk to your breeder about what's going on and ask about possibly returning the dog if you're not able to put some time into training.

At least you're being honest and saying you're not willing to train. Better to look at other options now rather than months down the track when behaviour is worse, or someone demands the dog is PTS. You're right- it's not OK for a dog to be biting a child- but this does seem to be fixable judging purely from what you've said. It may not be, but only a trainer who sees your dog and family could establish this.

I agree.

It sounds like the pup hasn't been taught that mouthing/biting is not on from the get go - when I first starting jogging with daisy she would get excited and nip me in play as we were running. It was not aggressive behaviour, just poor training on my part.

You are in NSW Frank - maybe pay Steve from K9 Force a visist with your family?

ETA: http://www.k9force.net

Edited by husky87

Frank, thank your lucky stars this pup has good bite inhibition and call the breeder.

If you are not prepared to commit to a program of behaviour modification, I'd be returning the pup. Don't kid yourself another breed will be different. Any pup, not given boundaries about what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't could turn out like this.

You might be better off with an adult dog. I'd still be wanting to know more about your son's interactions with the pup. What prompted the bite this time? How did your son manage to get his face so close to the pup?

apparantely he was runnigng again with his sister and tried to jump over the swing chair , he tripped and fell to the ground . giving the dog the oportunity to pounce and bite . well mouth i think . a bite would cause more harm , my daughter had to pull the dog off .

i am now fearfull . that i cannot control the situation as i am not always home .

Edited by frank

Contact your breeder Frank to have this pup returned while it is still young enough to be trained.

I would say this has more to do with lack of training, NOT the pups temprement.

A Cocker needs to be taught what is allowed & what isn't, and yes they will test the boundries from time to time, but consistancy, time & effort are needed to make sure pup becomes a happy, well behaved member of your family.

I think rehoming him is a bit of a cop out, unless it is to the breeder.

If you do decide to re house or return this dog to the breeder, are you planning on getting another dog? If you are who is going to be reasonible for training the new dog to ensure that the same issues don't reoccur in the replacement dog. Over the last few days I have been very busy and haven;t spent as much time with my puppy as I should have and yes after two days I can see that she has started to slip back into some bad behaviour that I have been working to get her out off. I have learnt that dogs require on going training and time spent with them. But when I sit back and look at what I have done in the last few days, I realise yes I could have found 10 minutes three times a day to spend with my puppy on training without too much extra effort - have my morning coffee outside with puppy - yes we could have watched the sun rise together (I get up early), have a drink in the back yard at the end of the day whilst playing with puppy and training. I have realised small changes to what I do each day will free up the time that I need to spend training my dog.

Re homing is the best if your not prepared to train. I think that deep down this is what you want to do.

Your german Shepherd was the perfect dog in your eyes and thats what you want Bailey to be perfect like him. This will never be they are two totally different dogs.

One thing I do say is if you decide to rehome please desex Bailey ( if He hasn't been done) the last thing we want is for him to become a breeding machine in some puppy farm .

Edited by magthedag

I was goin to stay out of this...but bugger it, I cant......

Frank, you have never given this pup a chance, you have always looked for something..anything to be wrong with it...your heart has never been with this pup...you have not put the time in to train or even guide this pup for correct behaviour and seem to be of the mentality that the pup should have been born knowing exactly what you and your family want.......

You have been advised quite a few times in the past to get in contact with the pup's Breeder.....have you ever??

Either get off your butt and take responsibility and get some structure and training in Bailey's life or send him back to the Breeder for re-homing.........

Oh, and in answer to 'What's wrong with my "cocker"? ................look within......

When a puppy is brought into a family home it needs to be a decision that the whole family make together, and yes I beleive the whole family is reasonble for the training of the puppy. In my house I take the most domiant role in training but the whole family including my children who are young take part in a small way so that they learn how to handle puppy and puppy learns to respect them. My partner works long hours often out of town but when home also takes active role in training and playing with puppy even if only for a short period. So far we have heard your view of the situtation but what does you wife think and is she prepared to put some time into the puppy or has she reached the point where she would prefer to have the dog removed. Consistency is important when trying to correct behaviours and yes the family in whole need to be united on the approach........You need to make a decision before this situation gets worse. I have recently adopted a rescue puppy and let me tell you the longer that the situation goes on the harder it is for the new owner to correct the problems it is not fair on the puppy.

The way I see it, you have three (3) choices

1- Re House the puppy If you decide to do this than hurry up and do it, don't let the situation continue contact the breeder etc explain what is happening and why to the kids.

2- Train the dog Seek professional help, come up with an action plan, the whole family need to role up your selves and get stuck in, instead of using your computer to complain about the dog, take on board the advice you have been given, find a trainer or obiendence club. How much time do you spend at home on the computer that could be used to train your dog.

3- 30day action plan and than decide Seek professional help, put in the hard work for 30 days and then decide what you are going to do.

Please take care to ensure that your son and the dog aren't left unsupervisored by an adult. If need be take the time to build an enclosure for the dog for the times when either your wife or yourself can't be outside with the children and dog. I am not saying to cage the dog but to build an enclosure large enough for the dog to be comfortable have toys etc. It doesn't need to cost a fortune, mine is 6x3metres made with star pickets and covered with chicken mesh with tent pegs to hold the mesh down. My pup uses this enclosure like a crate, sleeps, eat and when worried has some where to go of her own. This should only be used for the dog to sleep in or when the children are outside with out supervision, not to just cage the dog up.

I may seem to be very blunt in what I am saying but I don't see the sense in nothing being done untill the situation reaches crisis point. I have taken advice from people on this forum on what to do with my rescue pup and I can say from experience it has made a positive difference. I am the first person to admit I am not an experience trainer.

Edited by chloebear

Isn't this the same dog that was attacking your daughter not long ago? If you're not willing to heed the advice of anyone on this forum then why post the question? Do you want people to sympathise with you when you're not willing to do anything to rectify the situation? :confused:

I was goin to stay out of this...but bugger it, I cant......

Frank, you have never given this pup a chance, you have always looked for something..anything to be wrong with it...your heart has never been with this pup...you have not put the time in to train or even guide this pup for correct behaviour and seem to be of the mentality that the pup should have been born knowing exactly what you and your family want.......

You have been advised quite a few times in the past to get in contact with the pup's Breeder.....have you ever??

Either get off your butt and take responsibility and get some structure and training in Bailey's life or send him back to the Breeder for re-homing.........

Oh, and in answer to 'What's wrong with my "cocker"? ................look within......

:confused: excellent post :laugh:

wonder what is going to happen to the greyhound Frank is also part owner of?

I have five children Frank (although a lot older than yours) and I would not allow them to play with a young puppy running etc unless that puppy had been trained to not bite/mouth/jump up and even then I would want to be there to supervise things. It is still a puppy and is excited by the movements etc etc. compound this with other issues it may have with your son and it sounds like this was almost inevitable.

Also sounds as if your son needs some training on how to be around dogs and how to treat them correctly....you said he was cruel to the dog...in what way? Be very wary, children are strange creatures and when your back is turned it is very possible that your son could be tormenting or being too rough to the dog without your knowledge.

I don`t go to obedience clases but I do train my dogs on a daily basis. It isn`t hard and helps strengthen the bond between you. Dogs need boundaries and need to be taught just like children do.