Vet Just Told Me What I Am Feeding Is All Wrong

Veanna

KateyKateyKatey, we went to the Vets 4 Pets at Ridgehaven. The ladies at reception were lovely and I also met the ladies that do the grooming. They were so thrilled to see a purebred in there instead of a DD and were so nice ;) The only person I met in the clinic that I didn't like was the vet ;) ;)

Do you know what the name of the vet was? PM me if you prefer :( I'm interested to know if possible...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will just grab his paper work Cassie and will send you a PM ;)

Thank you everyone. I might get OH to call and see if we can get a refund on our puppy preschool and go elsewhere.

Poodlefan is right, if he doesn't listen or at least respect our decision on what to feed what happens if we have a serious problem. Will get onto it tomorrow.

I'm afraid many vets are in the business to help themselves, not you, and they make a HUGE markup on the dry food they sell and promote. If my vet spoke to me in that condescending fashion I would be looking around for another vet. I have not really looked into the BARF diet, but I have always fed my dogs and puppies on mainly raw foods. One of the things I like most about my vet is that he is willing to accept some alternative treatment, such as naturopathy and, last time I brought in a litter of pups for their vet check told me "I'm sure there's not much I can tell YOU about raising puppies".

its very rare that u find a doctor or a vet that knows about nutrition

vets sell dog food ...premium dog food and all the bits and pieces

im lucky my vet doesnt push stuff on us

but then again i have practically supported him and his family with all the animals ive had...and for the most they have been very healthy...just the desexing and vaccinations cost so much in this area!

BARF is biologically appropriate raw food ;) The patties I use have everything already in them, or a lot of people make up their own by pulping veges and feeding raw meaty bones. If you do a search on BARF in here you will come up with a lot of info. It is very interesting ;)

that vet is odd!

when I had my maltese and took her to the vet, the vet TOLD ME to make sure that I fed her lots of chicken wings because even little dogs need the bones to chew on! And Daisy always had fantastic teeth her whole life, complimented on by various vets.

Hope this makes you feel better, but my vet told me that I am completly wrong with what I am feeding Holly (4 mth old) as I am giving her raw fruit and veg sardines and chicken necks plus giving her some puppy biscuits. According to my vet I should just be feeding her twice a day, one cup of commercial good quality biscuits (puppy). But I am still feeding her the way that I want as she is in very healthy.

When he said not to feed him raw chicken I thought that was really odd. My parent's vet always commented on their dogs lovely teeth and it was because of her daily chicken wing or neck.

We only changed vets because of the puppy preschool, think I will be going back to our old vet.

Thank you so much for all the advice and support, it makes me feel so much better to know that yes we are doing the right thing by him :)

KateyKateyKatey, we went to the Vets 4 Pets at Ridgehaven. The ladies at reception were lovely and I also met the ladies that do the grooming. They were so thrilled to see a purebred in there instead of a DD and were so nice :) The only person I met in the clinic that I didn't like was the vet :D ;)

Do you know what the name of the vet was? PM me if you prefer :) I'm interested to know if possible...

Just catching up...but Cassie I wondered the same thing. I've found them to be fantastic, and am kind of surprised. You *could* ask to see a different vet there, just as an idea. I try to see the same one, I like being familiar with someone. :)

I am going to ask to see a different vet when we take him in for his 12 week needles. If we get the same type of service I have a few reccomendations for different clinics now. Thank you to everyone! All your replies and PMs has made me feel so much better :dropjaw:

Loki thanks you all to while he is gobbling down his BARF :( hehe

Godzilla has hot spots the size of 50cent coins, was allergic to everything including the air he breathed.

I put him on Barf and 3 months later not one hot spot 3 YEARS LATER still the same, he still has allergies but now mild and controlable even my vet was impressed.

Ian Billinghurst is a vet bTW as well. I remember a lady in the USA used the deragoraty wording for BARF but now for the last 2 years is a convert.

If Loki is doing well by fix something that is not broke, seeing he does not know about Barf how can he voice and opinion.

Mind you I suppose he is losing commission on selling premium dog food.

LousieBrooks, I have two friends that were having a terrible time trying to find the right food for their dogs. On commercial food their dogs were having allergic reactions and were just not doing well on it. Just like you, they switched to BARF and their dogs have never looked better.

Now why couldn't I have remembered that when I was speaking to the vet :(

Next time we're in I'm taking in some information so he can expand his knowledge, it will probably end up in the bin but I think everyone should have the right and be respected for feeding what their dog does best on :eek:

I am so glad Godzy no longer gets hot spots ;)

ETA: I have been really surprised with the change in Loki's stools already! He has been on BARF since saturday. When we got him his stool's were quite loose, and would get stuck in his fur. He was fed on pedigree puppy before we got him. Over the last two days his stools have been firm and he has had no trouble at all passing them and no mess on his coat :dropjaw:

Edited by veanna

The vet is giving you that advice because it is important that dogs have a complete and balanced diet

By feeding him dry food, he is getting that. Some vets worry that owners feeding raw will not be feeding a balanced diet.

At Uni, they have a couple of lectures on nutrition by a rep. from a pet food company.

Some graduating vets learn about nutrition from senior vets in the practice where they work.

Some do not.

I feel raw, and if I use a new vet who is trying to push dry food, I ask him nicely what his qualifications as a canine nutritionist are, and what research he has done or read.

That usually shuts him up :rolleyes:

I also tell them I wouldn't eat tinned food and Weet Bix and I don't see why my dog has to.

Continue to feed what your dog does best on - which is obviously raw - all mine have been having raw foods for years - they are rarely ill - and we go to the vet only for things such as eye problems, or for the one which decided to eat a needle!!

And don't get your nickers in a knot about balancing the food - if you feed a good variety, the dog will be getting a balanced diet. To night mine had mince, eggs, silverbeet, carrots and some leftover bread. Last night they had mince, silverbeet, sardines, sunflower oil, and a few raw rolled oats. They get lots of different things, so they are receiving a balanced diet over a period. Making your own is cheaper than buying it , but you need to feel confident in what you are doing, so stick with the patties. :laugh:

i didnt know you had a new puppy?

I didn't know either! :rofl:

Congratulations!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Loki is gorgeous! I would keep feeding what you're feeding him cos it's doing him good :rofl: Orson and Oi are 'disgustingly' healthy according to their vet and I feed them chicken wings :rofl:

:laugh: Any more piccies of Loki???????

I have a girlfriend who has just gone through the same thing.

She knows I have been feeding my two dogs BARF for years and rang me in a bit of a tiz as her vet had told her she was feeding her new puppy all wrong and was going to do her harm. I asked if the vet then tried to sell her the commercial food that they stock for $100 a bag.. and of course the answer was yes.

I can understand that vets get a bit concerned that people may just be feeding one type of meat (mince for example) and that is all their dog get, however if people are feeding the barf diet correctly I can't understand how vets can honestly think an extruded pellet is better that fresh real food.