Urine Killing My Yard

chloebear

With my previous dog I never notice big dead patches in my yard, but with this puppy where ever she passes urine the grass dies. Is their anything I can do to reduce the impact on my yard? She mainly eats, dog biscuits, chicken necks, fruit and veg, sardines and yoghurt.

With my previous dog I never notice big dead patches in my yard, but with this puppy where ever she passes urine the grass dies. Is their anything I can do to reduce the impact on my yard? She mainly eats, dog biscuits, chicken necks, fruit and veg, sardines and yoghurt.

Yes! There are rocks you can buy that neutralise the urine and should stop your lawn from dying - I pruchase mine through PetStock, you can also get them on ebay though

Yes! There are rocks you can buy that neutralise the urine and should stop your lawn from dying - I pruchase mine through PetStock, you can also get them on ebay though

Thanks, do I just throw these onto the patch that I see her unrinate on.

This question has come up just recently on another dog list I am on and here are the suggestions from there (by the way, it's the nitrogen in the urine that burns the grass, a bit like too much fertiliser, so the following suggestions would be altering a dog's nitrogen level in it's urine - if / how they work :rolleyes: )

Apple Cider vinegar daily in food or drinking water

Dog Rocks (these didn't work for me)

A tablespoon of cooked rice each day added to meals

Yougurt daily

There was another one or two, just wracking my brain as to what they were......thinking, thinking.....

i have the same problem too, just put a few new strips on turf down and they are yellow already :rolleyes:

so went and bought 2 bags of dogrocks today. problem is ,you can only have 2 litre's of water to each bag of rocks, and thats not much water for 3 big dogs :rofl: and they say refill,rather than empty ,( i put my old water on the plants), and they only last 8 weeks :laugh: at $10 a bag, its a bit pricey.

do they drink the water with vinegar in it? or is it best in their water?

Jack eats 1/2 to 2/3c of Science Diet each morning and BARF each evening. His urine still burns the lawn. But at least, being a boy, he goes against something like the washing line or fence, which means I don't need to whipper snipper that area :rolleyes:

do they drink the water with vinegar in it? or is it best in their water?

:thumbsup: ;) Yes they will drink it. We use the double strength with the sediment in it but you can use the pasturised (which is the clear one). We put two teaspoons per bowl of water small and adjust it to the size of the bowl.

Chris

Guest Steph & Bam

I use Dog Rocks, they cost about $10 for four of them. They sit in the dogs water bowl and last for about 2-3 months. I haven't had any problems with urine burns since I started using them. Plus side, my cat drinks from the indoor water bowl (which has Dog Rocks in it as well) and his pee used to stink to high heaven, now it doesn't smell half as bad :thumbsup:

Wonder if there is any relationship between these urine burns and the brand of pet food.

i.e. does anyone who is feeding their dog a "premium" dog food have this problem?

I feed Eagle Pack and I have not noticed any buring at all.

However, being a renter I had the rocks from the start and Louie is only a baby so maybe his wee is not 'burny' enough yet.

so whats funny? i wouldn't drink water with vinegar in it. :D

Let me explain if they will drink water with vinegar in it. Of course the best place to put it would be in the water.

Whilst I appreciate not many people would drink water with vinegar in it. It Apple Cider Vinegar is very good for humans too. I take it every day not a pleasant brekky drink but way better than pills to control high blood pressure. It has many other uses too.

Chris

I don't know about everyone else but I've noticed in our dogs it seems to only be the girls that cause it.

The places where Kiff (boy) urinates looks fine (even a tad lusher than the rest of the grass) but where Missy regulary goes, the grass is completely dead.

Our dogs are eating Advance (active) for lunch and rice/mince/vegetables for dinner.

Well in a previous post i said that I used Dog Rocks and thought they were great. BUT.......over the last few days I have noticed awful burn patches in the lawn!! The rocks were only replaced two weeks ago.

I am going to try the Apple Cider Vinegar in the water bowl. One question though - can I just use the one from the Supermarket? Okay two questions.....roughly how much per litre of water?

Thanks.

I am going to try the Apple Cider Vinegar in the water bowl. One question though - can I just use the one from the Supermarket? Okay two questions.....roughly how much per litre of water?

Thanks.

I would suggest you use the 'mother' stuff, ie it has the sedement in the bottom of it and it usually has 'Mother' written somewhere on the bottle - it's only $3 or $4 from the organic section in the supermarket.

My dogs did notice when I put a good splash in their water so I tend to put a teaspoon of it in their food each day - when I remember - the lawn is suffering badly at present.......must get back into the habit of doing it.

:eek: