Cleaning Ears

huski

Hi everyone

Daisy my beagle has very dirty ears. Naturally being a beagle or a breed with ears that hang over this is not uncommon. However, I have been given medicated ear cleaning solution from the vet and bought stuff from my pet supplies shop to clean her ears with.... the problem being she goes psycho at the slightest hint of solution in her ear.

It has gotten so bad I can't even lift her ear up (have tried cleaning it with a cotton wool pad soaked in solution) without her running away or struggling.

This has been happening since the first time I tried to put a drop of cleaning solution in her ear, as soon as it was in she ran around the house crying and wailing (it would literally have been a couple of drops).

Is there another approach? I have tried getting her and forcing it in, getting her when she is calm and relaxed and giving her a treat for it. She won't even come near me if she sees the ear cleaning stuff - she actually chewed the bottle the other day!! As I said she won't even let me lift her ear up even if I don't have the ear cleaning bottle.

Her ears are so dirty that they are even a bit smelly :rofl: I don't want them to get infected - help!

Edited by husky87

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been happening since the first time I tried to put a drop of cleaning solution in her ear, as soon as it was in she ran around the house crying and wailing (it would literally have been a couple of drops).

I'm personally not a fan of putting anything directly in to a dogs ear canal. I also don't like the feel of drops in my ear. Have you tried wetting a cotton ball with the ear cleaning solution and wiping it out with that? Alot less dramatic for them, this is how I clean clients dogs ears and all my own pets ears. I know a lot of bottles say to apply directly but I believe it's a terrible idea.

You could also try putting her up on a table/bench so she can't actually get away and let her lick peanut butter or similar from a Kong while you're wiping them out. I know how frustrating it can be, my Rotti runs a mile as soon as I pull out his fortnightly top spot :rofl:

Edited by Dru

I'm personally not a fan of putting anything directly in to a dogs ear canal. I also don't like the feel of drops in my ear. Have you tried wetting a cotton ball with the ear cleaning solution and wiping it out with that? Alot less dramatic for them.

You could also try putting her up on a table/bench so she can't actually get away and let her lick peanut butter or similar from a Kong while you're wiping them out. :)

:rofl: I wish I had considered this before the first time I cleaned her ears - I was following the vets direction of put a couple of drops in her ears and I didn't really consider an alternate way to do it.

Now she won't even let me lift her ears up, and she has no interest in any food if she thinks I am going to clean her ears. I have been trying to "desensitise" her by touching her ears and lifting them when I am giving her a pat but she knows as soon as I have cleaning liquid in my hand (on a cotton ball or otherwise).

The only table I could put her on she can jump down off - which I am sure she will do if I try and clean her ears :)

efs

Edited by husky87

Try a little bit of olive oil on the cotton wool first, let her see it and sniff it, then gently clean the outer ear and flap. It may take quite a few times to gain her trust but most have to sniff it eventually, from there you can build her up to letting you put the drops in. I find Scent Hounds settle better when they have been given the chance to investigate and sniff it out first. Much easier to turn into a pleasant experince afterwards with a tiny treat and lots of praise.

Edited by crazy beagle lady

Our GSD cries like a baby when he sees the ear cleaning solution. After he had numerous ear infections as a puppy - he simply doesn't like having his ears cleaned. He would allow us to use a cotton wipe with the solution on it - and allow us to wipe out his ears. According to our vet the wiping is not effective in getting into the areas of the ear where the infections occur. We now hold him down and squirt in the cleaner and massage his ears for a few moments before allowing him to shake it out ... then we give them a wipe out.

He currently has an ear infection so we have to force the issue with him. He is currently getting his ears cleaned every morning and has ear drops twice a day - it is a trying process but it is for his own good.

If the ears are very dirty then you might need to have them flushed out by the vet - where sedation can be used if it is a big problem.

:rofl: I wish I had considered this before the first time I cleaned her ears - I was following the vets direction of put a couple of drops in her ears and I didn't really consider an alternate way to do it.

Ok sorry. Medicated is actually better off applied directly, I was talking about store bought ear cleaner. But..... if using the wiping method gets just a little in, rather than none it might be better? In all honesty I would sit on her (almost) to get that medicated stuff in.... usually as soon as you start massaging it all around they are putty in your hands and moaning happy sounds. Try just playing with her ears without trying to do anything. Rub your hand behind her ear and massage, she should love it. Build it up to putting the med. stuff in... best to have a helper. Squirt that med. stuff in then oh so quickly massage!

Thanks everyone.

I will try getting her used to having her ears touched and will introduce a cotton pad with nothing on it at first so she is used to it.

Dru - no worries, I am just very worried about her ears getting badly infected as they are quite smelly!!

Well I soak cotton balls with metho and then clean ears with that. Did it for years as a groomer and never had a problem.

I wouldn't use metho in case there might be an area of raw skin where the dog has been scratching. That would sting like blazes and you'd probably never get near the ears of that dog again without using force.

Husky, carry the bottle of drops around in your pocket so they're not cold when you apply them. Don't let her see you with the bottle either. My dogs will run a mile if they see me with the ear drops but I'm able to sneak up on them and give an ear massage and apply the drops by stealth.

If her ears are really dirty, smelly and infected you'll probaby need to have them flushed out under GA.

Well I soak cotton balls with metho and then clean ears with that. Did it for years as a groomer and never had a problem.

I wouldn't use metho in case there might be an area of raw skin where the dog has been scratching. That would sting like blazes and you'd probably never get near the ears of that dog again without using force.

Husky, carry the bottle of drops around in your pocket so they're not cold when you apply them. Don't let her see you with the bottle either. My dogs will run a mile if they see me with the ear drops but I'm able to sneak up on them and give an ear massage and apply the drops by stealth.

If her ears are really dirty, smelly and infected you'll probaby need to have them flushed out under GA.

Her ears are grubby and she sometimes scratches at them. The smell is only faint, kind of sweaty - it could be exascerbated by the fact she needs a bath :rofl:

I would do the cotton wool trick and what you yourself said about touching her ears when you are not cleaning them.To get her trust back,even play with her with the bottle nearby?Lots of positive reinforcement,food rewards etc.

Lots of dogs ears smell but they really stink when they are infected.Hope all goes well for you,I'm with your Beagle though,I hate anything in my ears.......have to cotton bud water out after a shower or I go mad.Maybe she has extra sensitive ears like me. :rofl::)

P.S husky87 my daughter wanted you to know she absolutely loves your avatar!!!!!!!!!!

I would do the cotton wool trick and what you yourself said about touching her ears when you are not cleaning them.To get her trust back,even play with her with the bottle nearby?Lots of positive reinforcement,food rewards etc.

Lots of dogs ears smell but they really stink when they are infected.Hope all goes well for you,I'm with your Beagle though,I hate anything in my ears.......have to cotton bud water out after a shower or I go mad.Maybe she has extra sensitive ears like me. :rofl::)

P.S husky87 my daughter wanted you to know she absolutely loves your avatar!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) Awww thank you to your daughter FGM!! I am making a funny squinty face, I don't really like getting my photo taken :love:

My girl is a sook when it comes to her ears as well.

She tends to get quite a lot of wax in them, plus mites at one stage, where she scratched her ear until it bled. :)

She runs if she sees me coming with the cotton balls and a plastic cup, she knows it means cleaning time. :rofl:

But she will come and lay down near me if I have food, so I do that, then give her some treats, then a belly rub, then do her ears. She doesnt struggle too much (I used to have to have another person hold her) now, but she sure as heck doesnt like it.

I use Malaseb as an ear cleaner/ear flush. I dilute it 1/50 (with warm water) and syringe in a few drops, massage the ear (during which she makes weird and wonderful noises :) ) then she shakes it out, and I wipe out the rest of the ear with a damp cotton ball.

I do this once every 10 days or so, as her ears are always full of dust because she rolls around in it all the time, feeelthy little dog she is. :)

Alcohol based ear cleaner stings alot... i tried it out once when i had a bad ear (it worked)... now I know what the dog goes thru... lol

I use baby bum wipes which the dogs dont mind so much. I'm told the Malaseb solution is great.

I'd be massaging her ears when ever you have her up for a cuddle or whatever and associating ear touching with treats. Don't always poke in her ears, get her to realise that you aren't always going to hurt her when you touch her ears.

You can use the Malaseb shampoo as an ear cleaner, diluted 1:50 with water. I know some poodle people use it.

I've still got pet shop ear cleaner, but will buy the Malaseb once I run out. The mini poodle's ears get a bit smelly (seems to be a bit prone to this).

He doesn't like me doing it, but knows I won't let him escape, so accepts it.

I squirt the ear cleaner in-quickly, about 5 drops, massage base of the ear (gently if it's sore, you should hear a "squishing" noise) then let him shake his head (NOT before), then wipe with cotton balls. Don't stick cotton wool into the canal. Our vet seems to drown the ears when she cleans them.

What my dogs really dislike is when I pluck the fur out of their ears- I get Charlie trapped between my legs and just do it quick as possible.

Do you know a groomer you can trust and who your dog trusts? Sometime dogs will play up for their owners but let a trusted groomer clean their ears etc ( I have seen this in my grooming shop with my own dogs - they hate me going anywhere near their ears but are quite ok for Sharon (the groomer) to clean their ears. I am ok for Sharon to clean their ears as well, she has been grooming my dogs for 20+ years & knows what she's doing!

You can use the Malaseb shampoo as an ear cleaner, diluted 1:50 with water.

That's exactly what I use at work to clean ears. Great stuff and also fab if there is any yeast present too. I pre make a bottle each fortnight and off we go. I've had so may clients dogs cease to have ear infections/problems since using this as a regular cleaner a few years back. :rofl: