Looking For A Puppy

happy.grl

Hi all,

I am considering getting a puppy for my OH for his birthday as our Jap Spitz, Akira, has definitely turned out to be a mommy's boy :rofl:

As Akira is only (almost) one, I'm not sure whether now is a good time, or whether we should wait another year until Akira is less of a puppy and has had another year of obedience.

If we were to get another puppy it would have to be around Christmas as we both have time off and can supervise, at least for the first few weeks.

I'd love to know your opinions - should we wait?

Also what breeds would you recommend. They will have run of (most of) the house, with access to a courtyard outside through a dog door, and an off leash park across the road. I'd love to get another Japanese Spitz, or maybe a Cav, or a Tibetan Spaniel??? So many things to think about........

Thanks in advance

lol - I dont know if it is a good time as far as puppy and dog time but my breeder did say get them a few yers apart so you do not lose them both at once...

If you want a christmas pup you would need to be getting in contact with breeders now.

I haev never owned the brreds you suggested, but I have heard all three are lovely little animals - I myself would go for a cavvie or tibbie of the three.

yeah its good to have that time to settle them in ...but it is a shock to them when they realise Christmas is over

i think with the smaller breeds its fine to get two close together

id be wary of getting anything that has a jealous streak ( ok thers that word jealous ..human emotion but whatever the dog equivalent...let me think...a dog that gets anxious when the pack swells to two...lol)

so...maybe a shetland sheepdog...they are easy to train and ur used to big coat...very sweet for the most but can be big barkers but then again so are spitz dogs

a cav...but be wary of some of the current health problems in some lines

id avoid malts shih tzus ....can be a bit territorial...not always good with other dogs

id definitely get a boy....girls can be bossy...and even tho ur boy was there first...things can change ...boys just seem to accept each other better...desexed of course

i love pugs too...folds need a bit of work and they shed a lot...

as do cavs!!!!!

not silky terriers ...can be a bit touchy with other dogs...

what about a papillon? sweet and pretty and can hold their own ...great fun dogs

or a german spitz..perhaps a black one to complement ur white jap spitz?

or a sweet lil pom...

woow

the luxury of choice!!!!

have fun and let us know!

Hi all,

I am considering getting a puppy for my OH for his birthday as our Jap Spitz, Akira, has definitely turned out to be a mommy's boy :rofl:

As Akira is only (almost) one, I'm not sure whether now is a good time, or whether we should wait another year until Akira is less of a puppy and has had another year of obedience.

If we were to get another puppy it would have to be around Christmas as we both have time off and can supervise, at least for the first few weeks.

I'd love to know your opinions - should we wait?

Also what breeds would you recommend. They will have run of (most of) the house, with access to a courtyard outside through a dog door, and an off leash park across the road. I'd love to get another Japanese Spitz, or maybe a Cav, or a Tibetan Spaniel??? So many things to think about........

Thanks in advance

Firstly does your husband want another puppy in the house? I'm always very concerned when I hear of someone wanting to give a puppy as a present because you are in effect giving a gift you would want to someone who may not want the same thing.

Is your husband aware of your intentions? If not he really needs to be because he has some major decisions to make and since it's about him then he should be given the right to make these decisions.

Secondly, ask your husband which breed of dog he wants. If it's to be a gift to him then it must be a breed he chooses for himself. That is the ONLY way it will the right breed for him. Are you absolutely sure he wants one of the breeds you mention or does he have a breed he's always wanted that is totally different to your choices. Who knows, he may secretly yearn for a wolfhound or a Mastiff.

Two small breed dogs are fine with just a 1 year difference in age as long as they are breeds who are placid by nature. Not so with two big dogs though.

If you have a male then get a female. There is much less chance they will fight. Male dogs don't want to fight with females. Males compete with males not with females and vice versa.

so...maybe a shetland sheepdog...they are easy to train and ur used to big coat...very sweet for the most but can be big barkers but then again so are spitz dogs

Most pure dog breeds carry some or other health problems not just Cavaliers. The cross bred dogs seem to carry more probs, they can get the worst of both breeds they are crossed with.

Do you know a lot about Cavs percyk? Because I have a few questions about mine that I need to ask someone who has good knowledge of the breed.

id definitely get a boy....girls can be bossy...and even tho ur boy was there first...things can change ...boys just seem to accept each other better...desexed of course

Nope... I strongly disagree with this. One of each sex is best. As I posted to the OP. Males compete with males. Females compete with females. Males will allow a female to be alpha but they may fight another male for the top spot. Same with female/female.

I note you have suggested a number of breeds but the recipient of the 'present' must be the person to choose a breed he really wants. He may have a heart breed he's always wanted to own.

I have two breeds I love dearly. I would be pretty upset if someone gave me a dog as an unexpected present in the first place. I would be hopping made if someone gave me a breed of their own choice without consulting me. I don't want be responsible for a breed I have never wanted in my life and still don't.

omg your signature thing is cool...i actually just changed browsers to check if it could really see that i was on a mac and using safari. He seems a lot happier now that im using firefox... lol

PS good luck with your doggies...i'll put my vote in for a cav...

If you think now is a good time then why not. If you both work I think your dog will appreciate the company during the day. I would suggest going to a show and looking at some of the dog breeds and see what you like

one of each sex is best, get a CAV,..i fell in love with one at Puppy preschool...if ever i was in the market for a small fluffy,.this would be my pick.

NEVER BUY A PET AS A GIFT unless the only surprise part is that YOUR paying and not your hubby!!!!!

Or are you secretly buying another for yourself lol..cause thats the line I would use to get another...lmao!

Most pure dog breeds carry some or other health problems not just Cavaliers. The cross bred dogs seem to carry more probs, they can get the worst of both breeds they are crossed with.

Do you know a lot about Cavs percyk? Because I have a few questions about mine that I need to ask someone who has good knowledge of the breed.

Nope... I strongly disagree with this. One of each sex is best. As I posted to the OP. Males compete with males. Females compete with females. Males will allow a female to be alpha but they may fight another male for the top spot. Same with female/female.

I note you have suggested a number of breeds but the recipient of the 'present' must be the person to choose a breed he really wants. He may have a heart breed he's always wanted to own.

I have two breeds I love dearly. I would be pretty upset if someone gave me a dog as an unexpected present in the first place. I would be hopping made if someone gave me a breed of their own choice without consulting me. I don't want be responsible for a breed I have never wanted in my life and still don't.

an off topic question:

Is it true that male dogs do not fight with females? sometimes my boy bites my girl quite hard and she yells "argh...."

Thanks in advance

I would highly recommend a Tibetan Spaniel!!

They are a fantastic little breed, and are IMO, one of the best kept secrets of the dog world. I am a big dog person but we do have a Tibbie x... I will definately be getting a purebred one!! They are fantastic.

If you would like a good breeder PM me or pop into the Tibetan breed thread in general they will be more than happy to help you!

Is it true that male dogs do not fight with females? sometimes my boy bites my girl quite hard and she yells "argh...."

Look, IMO, it depends on the dogs personality as well as sex. If your pack is unstable you will very likely get fights between the dogs regardless of sex. I have two females here as well as a male, I do not have any fights nor would I find any fights acceptable.

No guarantees, they are less likely to fight but there are always exceptions. As husky87 says, it has a lot to do with your leadership and the dog's drives. If you have a dog with high rank drive then you might have some more problems.

I agree with what the others have said but also realize most breeders pups are pre booked,not all breeders have pups ready for xmas & it wont be that simple with only 6 weeks to go.

Rushing doesnt mean the right combo works out.

I do agree with others op sexes is way better & i totally agree that if the dog is for other half then he must have input & by the same token there is no guarantee the said pup will be your hubbies either.dogs attch themselves to some people more as its a breed trait to be more one persony & some people just have a better affinity with dogs.

As a breeder we dont sell pups as gifts or surprises.If its being brought for someone then that someone must be involved with selectionof the pups.Having input for selecting stages means alot & what you may like doesnt mean its what hubby would pick

I would like to add

I have fostered many a Shih Tzu and have found them to be a pleasent easy going dog with little or no vices, they got along wonderfully with my Shar Pei and various other foster dogs I had at the time

I did not find them to be territorial or not good with other dogs at all, quite the opposite in fact

What ever breed you decide to get make sure your OH likes the breed and is willing to get another dog/pup and ensure you purchase from an ethical registered breeder

They are a fantastic little breed, and are IMO, one of the best kept secrets of the dog world. I am a big dog person but we do have a Tibbie x... I will definately be getting a purebred one!! They are fantastic.

Are all Tibetan Spaniels barkers? Is barking a breed trait? I ask because there is one in the street at the back of me about 3 houses down and it yaps all day. It's kept outside in the yard during the day, owners are probably at work. If they go out at night it barks non stop until they come home.

Generally Tibetan spaniels only bark when something unusual is happening, but I have one that would bark all day when he was an only dog - he was incredibly spoiled- as soon as he had another dog for company he stopped.

our dogs now only bark when someone comes to the door. They were bred to be watchdogs and should only bark as a warning.

I would only recommend a Tibbie though if you are prepared to have an independent little dog who will generally only obey your commands when there is something in it for them :eek: and you dont want a dog that you can let off leash.

I know some tibbies do fine offleash, but I personally never let mine off and would not sell my puppies to a home that wanted a dog to take offleash.

Are all Tibetan Spaniels barkers? Is barking a breed trait? I ask because there is one in the street at the back of me about 3 houses down and it yaps all day. It's kept outside in the yard during the day, owners are probably at work. If they go out at night it barks non stop until they come home.

Tibbies are natural alert dogs. They were originally bred (as taken from wiki) as their keen sight made them excellent monastery watchdogs, barking to warning of intruders and alert the monks.

They should be reserved barkers that only bark when something is up. Our Tibbie x is a great "guard" dog. She is not a barker but she will bark if someone is standing in our driveway, if there is a possum in the tree etc. You know if she is barking that it is for a reason.

I would suspect if it is in the yard outside and is barking non stop that it is under stimulated or it can see the street? Barking non stop is not a usual Tibbie trait IMO.

Edited by husky87

Wow guys, thanks for all the responses.

Firstly does your husband want another puppy in the house? I'm always very concerned when I hear of someone wanting to give a puppy as a present because you are in effect giving a gift you would want to someone who may not want the same thing.

Thanks cavNrott. We have spoken about getting another puppy, but have been tossing up between getting a forever dog, applying as a foster or doing some holiday dog minding. The breeds that I mentioned (with the exception of the Tibetan Spaniel) are breeds that we have discussed and he has expressed interest in.

If you would like a good breeder PM me or pop into the Tibetan breed thread in general they will be more than happy to help you!

The Tibetan Spaniel would be my preferred choice as well - they are adorable. Thanks - I'll check out the thread.

Look, IMO, it depends on the dogs personality as well as sex. If your pack is unstable you will very likely get fights between the dogs regardless of sex. I have two females here as well as a male, I do not have any fights nor would I find any fights acceptable.

I had not heard the male/male -> male/female thing either. I was leaning towards another male. Yikes, another decision :confused:

NEVER BUY A PET AS A GIFT unless the only surprise part is that YOUR paying and not your hubby!!!!!

Or are you secretly buying another for yourself lol..cause thats the line I would use to get another...lmao!

I must admit that I would love to have another dog, and if I can use his birthday as an excuse :rofl:

I agree with what the others have said but also realize most breeders pups are pre booked,not all breeders have pups ready for xmas & it wont be that simple with only 6 weeks to go.

Rushing doesnt mean the right combo works out.

I do agree with others op sexes is way better & i totally agree that if the dog is for other half then he must have input & by the same token there is no guarantee the said pup will be your hubbies either.dogs attch themselves to some people more as its a breed trait to be more one persony & some people just have a better affinity with dogs.

As a breeder we dont sell pups as gifts or surprises.If its being brought for someone then that someone must be involved with selectionof the pups.Having input for selecting stages means alot & what you may like doesnt mean its what hubby would pick

I am glad that you have said this. If this is what I choose to buy he will definately have input, and we will both be going to view any pups that we are interested in, along with Akira if the breeder will allow, to ensure that we all like each other and can get along.

I know that it is likely that we will have to go on a waiting list for any purebred dog (unless we are really lucky) and that's OK - we are not in any rush and want to get the best fit for the family.

Thanks

I had not heard the male/male -> male/female thing either. I was leaning towards another male. Yikes, another decision

I mentioned earlier that it is no guarantee, but if your going to be getting a pup then i think you would be silly to get another dog of the same sex if you can help it. I would urge you to go for a female, rather than another male, as there is a lot less chance of there being problems. This is what i would be doing if i were in your shoes.

Another step to take AS WELL as that is to be a fair, strong, reliable leader, which you hopefully already are. Before introducing another dog into your pack you will need to insure you check your leadership and make sure it is airtight.

It is about minimising risk and by getting a different sex, you will be taking steps towards doing this.

There are always exceptions, but in general this usually provides you with the best chance of having 2 dogs who will get along well.

Yes the Tibbie is a great little dog, we are new owners of a Tibetan Spaniel called Tashi, he is just gorgeous and we couldn't be happier with him, have a look at the Tibetan thread if you want some more info and you can see pic's of some gorgeous Tibbies.