Recommendations For New Camera

Rysup

I love my Li Ion batteries. They are more expensive to buy, but I find they last a lot longer (charge wise), they can be charged or topped up without needing to wait until they are flat, and they also charge when the camera is plugged into the USB port. :laugh:

Helen - mostly dogs, puppies, and of course my son. I like taking photos of the dogs for my website, but my old camera just seems to be failing me these days.

Kharn - how long would they last? Would they last a whole day ,taking photos all day? Do you have spares you carry with you? At least with cameras who take AA, you can always pick up spare batteries. Nothing worse than running out before you are done. Like I normally photograph our specialty shows, which means most of the day.

Purple Julie - thanks for that. I will go and have a look at the SLRs in the camera shop I think.

Umm I'm not exactly sure. :laugh: But I took over 400 hundred photos at my sisters wedding and the low battery light never came on. That was with my Digital SLR. I don't currently have a spare, but I plan on getting one. They don't lose charge, so leaving a charged one in your camera bag for extended periods is not problem.

Helen - mostly dogs, puppies, and of course my son. I like taking photos of the dogs for my website, but my old camera just seems to be failing me these days.

The SLR would be better for taking photos of you son, can blur backgrounds more when you want etc, but of course price is more and the camera is bulky and is not one that can fit into your handbag etc.

I have one of those, and I have outgrown it really fast. I want something I can play around with more. This camera of mine does not handle any sort of macro or close up work, it blurs the subject and focuses on the background. And it seems to be "lighter" than when I first got it, like there is glare or something going on.

Umm I'm not exactly sure. :wave: But I took over 400 hundred photos at my sisters wedding and the low battery light never came on. That was with my Digital SLR. I don't currently have a spare, but I plan on getting one. They don't lose charge, so leaving a charged one in your camera bag for extended periods is not problem.

My other half went to the RAAF air show and took my SLR a few weeks ago. He rattled off over 800 shots while he was there on 1 battery. I do carry a spare with me but I only go that because i was going overseas on holidays so wanted to know I had 1 with me if I needed it. I got the spare off of Ebay for a fraction of the price from the shops and have had no problems at all with it.

I am trying to think back to when we were awa - I don't think they ever ent flat, I would take the battery out at night and put it onto charge but I don't recall ever having to swap batteries during the day due to it going flat. Might have, just don't remember it.

edit to add: of course using flash will reduce amount of shots you get too. I hardly use my flash at all so not sure by how much it reduces the shots they last.

Edited by piper

Interesting info about the Li Ion batteries- thanks! :(

I've been told by a JB HiFi chick (who I know has worked there for quite a while) to buy the generic one as a spare for my 400D, she said there is no difference between that and the canon batteries except for about $40. :)

Mel.

I have a generic spare battery for my 400D, and it does work just as well as the canon ones! :)

They last for ages regardless, I take heaps of photos

I have the panasonic FZ-18. I love it. It is very lightweight with a SLR look - without the bulk. It has an 18x zoom, 8mp. Has burst shooting which is great for kids and sport (and puppies). We have lots of fun with it. I took some great whale shots, which I posted here somewhere, while others on the boat where complaining about the whales being too far away. I was not confident enough to go SLR and did not want to spend over $1000 for a camera. Has LI battery - which I was not sure of when comparing cameras, but now I am very happy with. It lasts well and is worth it for the light weight. If I was to travel I would consider a second battery - but not needed for regular use.

I have the Panasonic TZ3 and love it. It's a compact, but has great zoom (10 x I think), is nice and fast, does everything I want. I got it just before we went to Europe, got some great shots over there with it, and takes good dog photos too - what more could I ask for? Plus its small enough to pop in my bag.

Here are some samples from my trip, hopefully I have made them small enough:

P1020052.jpg

P1020115.jpg

P1020140.jpg

P1020261.jpg

P1020403.jpg

There is a difference between the brand name andgeneric batteries for the SLRs BUT unless you are using the camera a lot (as in hundreds of pics each week) you will not pick the difference. Bu tthe age of the battery affecs its performance as does the camera itself. Also how long its been since the battery was charged makes a difference to.

I too went to the RAAF Airshow and took about 5-600 photos with the new camera and it was still on full charge according to the camera indicator (obviously not full butwasnt going to stop anytime son).

rakaaz, is that lake with the castle Lake Bled? I've seen a similar shot in a brochure. Is it in Hungary?

I have a pocket Digital - a model that is the earlier one of your's I think. I took it to Europe as well as the DLSR.

here are a couple of shots from my Panasonic. I think the Panasonic Lumix is one of the best pocket digitals around. It also has an image stabilizer and a motion picture feature. You can choose if you want the photo to be vivid or natural.

Middle of the day shot

CeskyKrumlov007copy.jpg

Late afternoon shot

Scotland119.jpg

Indoor shot with no flash (no flash allowed)

Paris027copy.jpg

I have a S5600 Finepix (Fuji)..and am seriously considering getting this one for Christmas

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_c...ions/index.html

I looked at DSLR's...but decided that I will go with this . 8 megapixels, 18X zoom..and super macro..plus no separate lenses to worry about.. uses aa batteries..and if it is as comfortable to use as my old workhorse, I will be in Heaven!! Not terribly expensive, either.

Good luck with your choice :(

here are a couple from the S5600..

post-1359-1196227128_thumb.jpg

post-1359-1196227220_thumb.jpg

Edited by persephone

I'm looking into getting a new camera as well.

I'm looking at the Canon 40D and the 400D. I'd prefer the 40D but I know the money can be better spent elsewhere. I really don't think you can go wrong with the 400D. I figure the money I save now by buying the 400D means I can spend more money later on good lenses. :(

ETA: I plan on getting the twin lens kit with the 400D, from what I've read the standard lens leaves a bit to be desired?

Edited by snarferama

I bought a Pentax K100D Super about 2 weeks ago as my Canon 300D has had it.. I have found it to be a GREAT camera so far.. It would make a fantastic beginner's DSLR camera. I got it from Camerahouse on special (still is at the moment) for $799 with 1 lens, a tripod and bag, and that is REALLY cheap, I could have paid $200 extra for a 70-300mm lens but I already had one.

Here are some shots I have taken with it so far:

2065470016_a9afa1d3bd.jpg

2070332051_74efed5272.jpg

2065473740_475d348923.jpg

2069821415_6b217d2142.jpg

2067690615_a4fd853cbb.jpg