Marrow Bone's

RL1

Does anyone have any idea's on an alternative to marrow bone's. I was at the Vet's yesterday and was advised to cut right back on marrow bone's for my Rottweilers. I like to go to work and know that the dogs have something to keep them amused. The vet says the marrow bone's are too hard and too fatty. Any ideas on what to give dogs to keep them amused for 8 hours at a time.

I give my guys brisket bones, but they're gone pretty quick.

A black Kong (the toughest ones) stuffed with some treats or peanut butter?

Quick walk in the morning or 10 minutes training before work to tire them out?

Sorry, not sure what other long-lasting bones (if any) are suitable?

Do you think the kongs are safe to leave with the dog chewing on them all day ? I've given them brisket bone's before but they're gone so quickly. I'll see what the local Petstore has.

Nothing lasts as long as the marrow bones and our labs play with them all day but our vet has the same views.

I vote for the black kong also, put a mixture of rice and mince or similar in it, in the hot weather you can freeze it and it will be a treat that lasts for hours.

As for bones - we use a combination of lamb flaps, lambs pelvis bones are good also if youcan get them. But we often (twice a month) buy a few marrow bones for all our dogs because they love them. We leave teh marrow in but I realise that its very fatty - and iwth Labs we have to be weight watchers (lo)

I was told years ago not to use beef bones for dogs because they are too brittle.

Frozen brisket bones ?

yep, just run them under the water to remove the ice, still gone in minute's...

Yep- even a miniature poodle demolishes them in about 5 minutes. Let alone a rotti :thumbsup:

The black kongs are designed for stronger dogs that like to chew. I'd throw it out after a while, though. If you leave those sorts of things outside they perish a bit over time.

kongs are safe left out all day. Just get the black ones, they're tougher...

Also nothing wrong with the marrow bones...just keep an eye out on the weight also it depends on how much exercise they get and the rest of their diet.

You could also try those everlasting treat ball things...

I don't think there are any bone that will last for 8 hours really....you can bury a couple of bones in the garden and let them run around during the day to "search" for it. Even with the Kong once they have eaten what they can get out in the first hour or so, my dogs will just think it is too hard with the rest and leave them alone......

The big smoked bones in the pet shop would probably last for awhile/

Some dogs go to town too hard on the large-animal weight bearing bones, can crack molars. Depends on the dog. So beef might be out, lamb, pig usually quite ok. I find pig's head good fun and challenging, you/ the neighbours mightn't be too fussed! I'd feed them the day before garbage collection, for obvious reasons.

I vote for the black kong also, put a mixture of rice and mince or similar in it, in the hot weather you can freeze it and it will be a treat that lasts for hours.

Hours?! How do you make them last that long? My pup eats her way through a frozen kong in about 30mins!

Are those smoked bones from the pet shop really hard? I bought one for my dog who ate the bits off the ends but hasn't really touched it since. If it were a marrow bone she'd be working on it on and off for days!

I also like to leave my dog with something to do while I'm away at work. The big thing is to give him/her a good walk or a run not too long before you head off to work - this really does help.

As for keeping him busy, I give him one bone a week which I know he can't completely eat. This is so he has something to gnaw on for the rest of the week, and also more than one "big" bone a week wears the teeth down.

Bean used to get marrow bones, but these caused problems (lots of stomach gurgling, then diarrhoea). He now either gets half a beef rack (only a few dollars for a whole rack at the butcher - they generally just chuck them out) or a beef neck/back bone. The beef rack doesn't include much meat/fat; it's mainly bone. The beef necks/chuck bones are meatier, but also include parts the dog cannot eat, so there's always bits left to gnaw on later.

As other people have mentioned, Kongs are great too. But I have yet to work out how to make them last very long - even when I freeze mince etc inside, my little monster is finished relatively quickly.

Hope this gives you some ideas... good luck! :rofl:

post-11976-1194579017_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Do you buy your bones from the butcher or the supermarket? Do you have to request them or are they readily available?

I usually buy them from the butcher. Some butchers have a small fridge section full of various types of bones. Others keep them out the back but all you have to do is ask if they have any.

Only 2 weeks ago I had my beautiful young Stafford dog die eating a brisket bone - it lodged in his throat, he suffocated and died in my arms.

He WAS supervised, none of my dogs get anything to eat unless I am there to supervise.

Please don't leave your dog alone with any bone he could conceivably get a piece off which is too big to swallow but small enough to tempt him to try. I have fed my dogs raw food for 30 years, including brisket bones.

I will never ever get over the memory of my gorgeous boy's eyes glazing over while he struggled to live and I struggled to save him.