Are Fleas Obvious?

Spanner

Sorry if this sounds dumb but we never had a case of fleas with our last dog so I'm not sure what I should be looking for? Tanner sometimes has a good scratch around his ears but its doesn't appear to be excessive or bother him too much but I've noticed what looks like dandruff around the base of his tail, however I never see him try to itch in this particular place and it certainly doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. I can't see anything other than what looks like dry flaky skin bits in his fur. If it was fleas would they be obvious???

What kind of dog is he? Does he have a long/short coat?

You could try parting the coat in various places and actually looking for the fleas. Otherwise give him a good comb with a fine tooth comb and see if anything falls off him. Fleas look like little brown things, a few mm in length.

short coat (GSP). Can't see any bite marks or little brown things, just white flaky stuff. I read something about blood being present in the flea faeces so I rubbed a bit of water on the spot and rubbed it and it didn't turn red. Hopefully its not fleas just some dandruff but I'll keep an eye on it. Due to take him for a bath on the weekend so I'll see how we go. Like I said he's not bothered by it at all, I would have thought fleas would have driven him crazy????? Funny thing is now I feel all itchy!!! :laugh:

Edited by Spanner

we've only had him about 3-4 weeks so we haven't bathed him yet (was going to do it this weekend). He spent a couple of nights at the vets recently so was just hoping he hadn't bought some extra "friends" home with him!

Hmm. Is possible he has new friends.

I'd use an anti-flea treatment that starts working asap e.g. Advantix (supposed to start killing within 20 minutes of application). I always use this as I'm in a tick area. I'm not sure, but suspect Frontline works similarly. I don't use flea rinses etc.

pricelesspets.com.au have good prices.

As Rysup said, check your dogs tummy and groin cos fleas love to live there. Much easier to see on a black dog there and long coated breeds.

Could possibly be just flaky skin due to poor diet, but probably start on a good "spot on" flea treatment along with a good bath, and pop some fish oil and raw egg into the diet and see how you go.

I'd recommend setting up a regular regime of anti-flea treatment. I put Advocate or Advantage on mine, 1st of each month. They will still get the odd flea.

Don't bath the dog within 48 hours either side of the flea treatment.

Don't wait until you see a flea - by then there could be thousands and they won't just be on the dog!

thanks for your replies. I shampooed just the small area in question and the flaky stuff seemed to disappear. I really don't think he has fleas (I've checked his groin and tummy and it all looks clear) but as recommended I think I'll start him on a regular preventative. I'm bathing him tomorrow so I will wait until next week to start the spot on treatment.

Would adding some sardines be ok as a source of fish oil? How often would I give him some?

Spanner it might be worth considering Sentinel Spectrum. It's a once a month tablet that prevents fleas from breeding, does all intestinal worms including tape worm and also heartworm. www.Pricelesspets is a good place to buy from, they are cheaper there than at most other online stores.....The vets charge far too much so I never buy from them.

Flakey skin and skin and coat conditions can have something to do with the dogs diet. What is your dogs current diet. You may find by adding omega 3 oils or tuna or sardines to the dogs food may help with his flakey skin.

Also, if bathing i would be using a good qaulity shampoo and conditioner such as dermcare (malasaeb or something for senistive skin).

Food idea to get him on a regular flea treatment. There are many products available, so you might need to try a few to see which works best for you.

If the problem persist. i wold get the Vet to have a look him.