Desexing A Cryptorchid Dog

percyk

i know my pup is a 'crypto' not a 'mono' dog ( crypt as in hidden/ entombed ...the teste is not descended and is not likely to and 'mono' meaning 'one'...where the other testicle hasnt formed)...sorry about the etymology lesson but i cant help myself lol lol lol

the teste is there and kinda 'twangs' when the vet palpates...its attached and when u pull it, it snaps back into place

so

do i desex?

if cryptos arent virile will they still 'appear' to be entire dogs to other dogs?

i obviously dont want the dog to mate with any undesexed bitch when we go out

but also i dont want him to develop any possible dog aggression...ive had enough of dog fights ....!!!!

so im asking if anyone knows if the male hormones are really active in cryptos?? this fellow is very docile but i know that can change...also he is living with other desexed males and i dont want them talking about him ( u know when lil boys get done..theres always one kid in the changeroom who goes home puzzled lol)

i dont want other male dogs to sense him as an 'entire' dog and start threatening him either

id prefer that he doesnt cock his leg but i know that desexing does not stop cocking...my other dog cocked v ery early in life and has continued to do so even tho hes been done too

excuse my ignorance...im eager to learn and im not sure if vets will just say yeah go ahead and desex cos its money in their pockets....ooooooh dripping with cynicism here...lol

ill talk to my vet about it but id like ur cumulative knowledge too...i cant post in the breeders forum unfortunately

thanks in advance folks!

Yes they can still be active, and still sire litters.

To desex a dog, it will probably cost more as the vet will have to do more a procedure to get to the other testicle.

In horses we call them Rigs. They act like a stallion, even if only one testicle is removed they can still sire.

A unilateral cryptorchid (one normal, one undescended) is fertile and will behave exactly the same as a dog with two fully descended testes. If the second one doesn't descend it is best to have the dog castrated as there is a slight chance that the retained testicle may become cancerous.

He can still serve bitches and sire puppies. Undescended testicles are very prone to become cancerous as the dog matures. The stats are quite frightening. And it will probably cost more, as there is more to the operation.

I have 2 labs and one of them only had 1 testicle descended. My vet only charged $25 extra for Andy's bigger operation, including a drain to assist the healing of the wound and 10 days of anti biotics. He did fine and there was never any thought of not having him desexed because of this issue.

descended or undescended testicle aside - what's the problem with leg cocking?

;) At what age do most puppies start to cock their legs? Mine are just over 7 months and still girly squat?

;) Depends on the dog...i have one GSD who at 3yrs still squats, the other is 18months but was cocking his leg at three months :happydance: So yeah...depends on the dog :cheer:

As to desexing...my pup was crypto as well...and his desexing was more like a spay due to them having to open him up somewhat to get at the other teste. The vet saved the testies for me to have a look at (gotta love my vet! :champagne: ) and one was the size i expected...the other was barely a third of the size - Sabe was desexed at 13months of age.

If left undesexed he will act as an entire dog, and other dogs will 'see' him as an entire dog - he will also be able to do all that entire dogs do :happydance: My older GSD didn't cock his leg before desexing...and hasn't done so since being desexed. Sabe on the other hand started early and hasn't given up the habit :cheers:

ok thanks for ur answers peoples

the vet said it will only cos about 50 dollars more..she looked at him the other week and said she could feel it but it probably wasnt going to come down at this stage

i just read in the breeders forum that the cryptos were not virile so i figured theyd be tame lil pussycats

no i dont show

no i dont breed

the dog is coming onto 6 and a bit months

the cancer thing is scary so if thats the case..hes gonne get done

re the cocking leg

i dont really care but squatting is neater...they can spray a lot higher when they cock their leg..cant they?

i dont find it offensive ...but its nice when they just do their business and get on with life without having to bounce around each pole

when its cold at night and ur waiting for everyone to pee and get to bed inside...thats when i wish i had females lol

but i do love my boys ...temperament wise i think theyre the ones for me

descended or undescended testicle aside - what's the problem with leg cocking?

;) At what age do most puppies start to cock their legs? Mine are just over 7 months and still girly squat?

It varies, but teh youngest I get start at 10 weeks of age! :happydance:

when its cold at night and ur waiting for everyone to pee and get to bed inside...thats when i wish i had females lol

but i do love my boys ...temperament wise i think theyre the ones for me

My dogs also "toilet" on command, and as soon as they're done I say "inside" and they run straight to the door.

If out on a walk, they get 2 wees, no more. I dont give them the chance to do anymore than that eg. I try to walk really fast but if they still try and stop they get dragged :rofl: . They soon learn :)

Cooper didn't cock his leg until he was over 12 months and both Vinnie and Cooper will still squat sometimes if they're really busting.

Edited by BC

We have had a lot of cryptorchid dogs desexed. It is generally regarded as unethical for vets to issue a sterilisation certificate unless both have been removed from wherever they are situated.

In your dog's case, as the teste is easily located, it will be easy for the vet to remove.

You haven't mentioned where the other teste is, I will assume it has descended normally. If the dog is purely a pet, it is best to get them both removed at once.

Interesting thing though...my dog had one up & one down. I had the up one removed when we thought he was going to be a race dog...we left the down one alone. When he proved to be far to slow to race, I had the other one removed; different vet but they took my word for it that the retained testicle was gone and they did issue the desex certificate. Can't imagine why you would want to, but if I had been devious and wanted the desext cert without having the retained testie out I could have.

My older desexed dog will cock his leg often if walking offleash, but he's not allowed onleash- I don't want to stop at every tree or post :o.

Saw the nearly 11 month old standard poodle lift his back leg for the first time the other day.

I'm sure it was much earlier for my older dog, but large breeds are usually slower to mature, I believe.

good to hear that it wont be that hard to operate

itll still be one of those days when one of the pack is copping it at the vet...thank goodness my work keeps me occupied..id find it hard at home watching the clock

the other teste is down Greytmate ..looks normal

k big breaths ...ill set a date!

thanks again for all ur posts folks!