C3

PooMother

Hi

I am after everyones advice here please :-) My daughter has brought home a puppy which has not had any vaccs or chipped etc (got from someone who owns mum and dad) I am wondering once this puppy has had her first vaccination how long before her pup can play with hubbys BC? BC has had first vac only so far not due for 2nd for around 2 weeks. Puppy is allowed oin front garden at present but I wont allow her to go any where near the BC yet. Is it safe after 10 - 14 days after the frist vacc and also is it true that if this pup has been exposed to anything prior to coming home can the vacc promote it quicker (other than the 10 day incubation period)

Thanks In advance

Why is your thread titled C3? I would request a C5 for your pup.

Your pup is not adequately protected until after the second vaccination.

It is titled C3 because that is the advice given by the breeder of our pup and also other breeders we have spoken to. I do understand others use C5 but we are just adhering to advice given from breeder. Its the same in the cat world we do not vaccinate our kittens with F4 or F5 nor do most of the other breeders as they have made many a kitten ill and / or died so we only use F3.

It is titled C3 because that is the advice given by the breeder of our pup and also other breeders we have spoken to. I do understand others use C5 but we are just adhering to advice given from breeder. Its the same in the cat world we do not vaccinate our kittens with F4 or F5 nor do most of the other breeders as they have made many a kitten ill and / or died so we only use F3.

Is this the breeder that sold or gave you a puppy that was not vaccinated and not microchipped?

Gee, I'd really be listening to what they have to say, not! :rofl:

Also wondering are they like the feline vaccs where you have activated and inactivated?

I have also been told that with the component for KC in the vaccine it doesnt stop the animal from getting KC, obviously one may need it if broding unless you sign a waiver stating you wont hold the kennel responible if the anuimal gets KC whilst boarding? This came from breeders aswell as my vet and a few other vets I spoke to.

Appreciate all feedback.

Neither pup will be fully covered until after the second vaccination. Be careful when taking them out in public areas, avoid putting them on the ground where possible.

KC is a virus. There are many strains of the virus. Vaccination will not cover every strain but it will lessen the degree of severity of the symptoms if your dog develops it.

C3 only vaccinates against dist, parvo and hep. C4 includes parainfluensa (1 type of KC) and C5 includes the rest and bortadella (another type of KC).

Thanks for replies. So for those that reccomend C3 is that for the 2nd vac aswell or upgrade to C4 or C5 for 2nd vac? Is puppy fully covered with only 2 vaccs or do they need a 3rd. So many questions...give me a ccat and Id be right but havent had a pup for many many years :rofl:

Some vets do 3 vaccs, others 2.

New thinking is first vac. at 8 weeks, then only one more- sorry, not sure at how many weeks.

My vet did the 3, but my pup had the first vac at 6 weeks. I just took vet's advice.

Do a search- there are many threads on the vaccination topic and not everyone agrees.

Thanks for replies. So for those that reccomend C3 is that for the 2nd vac aswell or upgrade to C4 or C5 for 2nd vac? Is puppy fully covered with only 2 vaccs or do they need a 3rd. So many questions...give me a ccat and Id be right but havent had a pup for many many years :laugh:

I only use C3 for 2nd shot, and if you give Protech brand 2 shots is all you need, if you use Canvac it requires 3 shots.

If you vaccinate too early, (it wont have worked on a young immune system or a pup still feeding on its mother) so you will have to give 3 shots as the first one would have been a waste of time & money (donation to the Vet LOL)

hi catsmother

how old is the new puppy?

i give c3's for their first then c5 for the second then c5 for the first year after puppy shots then titer test yearly do to decide when the get the next one

but always advice puppy is not fully covered until 10 days after second shot and to be extra careful until that time

dfa

I would ask for your vet's advice and wouldn't let my own pup near the new one until full course has been given.

The first shot is usually at 6-8 weeks and pups are normally still covered by mother's natural immunity. Possible that if pup is not immunised neither is mum and there may be no natural immunity

Our vet clinic does C3 for the first, then C5 for 2nd and 3rd (6-8 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks)

I wouldnt just do 2x C3s

C3 for the first because the pup doesnt need to be overloaded at 6-8 weeks with 5 different things