Training Different Dogs And Different Sports

JulesP

OK how do people go about training a couple of dogs in different sports??? It is just aboout doing my head in trying to work out when I am going to do what when and with whom! And I am only doing obedience & agility with one and hoping to do showing and obedience with the other.

At the moment I think I am going to have to join Berwick DC as well as Croydon to fit it all in!

So how do you juggle?

Jules,instead of looking at the whole picture at once break it down into pieces.Take a piece at a time and its nowhere near as overwhelming.

Work out a written timetable for a week,then just do what you have to on that day. Tony

not sure how i cope, but i have 3 adult Bc's.. one 7 he trains and competes in Agility, Flyball and Frisbee... then the 3 year old Trains and Competes in Agility and Frisbee and is training in Flyball, the youngster is 18mths and about to start competing in Agility, already competes in Frisbee and is also in training for Flyball... i have just added a new addition and he will be trained for all three sports as well... i do frisbee once a week down at the local park... Agility once a week at club and then home training at least 2 other afternoons... flyball if i can get to club once a week i go, if not maybe once or twice a week at home.. although am about to start a group up closer to me so that will be a once a week thing so Flyball will become a regular occurence next year hopefully.... have also started them on sheep herding.. but am thankful it is too far away and only attend weekend workshops when they are held close to home... :laugh:

i work a full time job 9 day a fortnight... training sessions at home are short fast and fun maybe lasting 10 min each dog..

I have 5 dogs all doing obedience, agility and I show as well. I also work full time and run a boarding kennel.

My training sesssions are always planned and I tend to go out and do short sessions - in fact I have mastered being able to drive to K9 set up a UD ring, train all 5 dogs and be home again in under an hour. I also have designated days for doing agility and I tend to do something with all the kids first thing in the morning before I go to work.

Its easy :laugh:

At one stage I was training three dogs at one time. Two "old timers", one puppy.

One oldster was risk adverse and was slow to try new behaviours, but solid as a rock once he got them right. :o

One oldster was happy to try anything new, but was less reliable as he would tend to try and keep "improving" things once he had learnt something. :)

The puppy of course was mad as a snake. ;)

Two were doing obedience and agility, one obedience only.

I found it easiest to write down what I wanted to do with each dog for the week - kept me on track and made sure that each got the time and work they deserved. As I needed to really change mental gears between working each dog, I would stop, adjust gear, and sit down, have a drink and a think when going between dogs. Perhaps a quick look at the notes I had for the week, and anything I had added re problems with the exercise(s). Ideally, each would have had their own sessions, spread through the day, but I did no have the luxury of that sort of time, so the short break had to do.

I have now retired the olsters, so just have the pup and two sports to worry about. :laugh:

Of course I am planning for the next puppy ... :laugh:

The thing I find the most difficult is the changing between mental gears for each dog (good way of putting it Dogs4Fun :laugh: ), especially between the Kelpies and the GSD, as they work so differently. Between Kelpies not too bad, they work similarly, though different ages and slight difference in temperament. But the GSD is TOTALLY different! And if I take them both to obedience, I have problems changing gears to get it right.

It's easy, have no other life :laugh:

I have three dogs I'm training/trialing in various events. They are nearly 10yrs, 5yrs and 7 months. The 10 year old is pretty much winding down his trialing career, so training is low. I'm not about to change anything drastically in agility and basically train every now and then to keep up our team work. I train him in UD when I've entered a trial ;) There is no UD class so it's usually by myself at our club, where I will do soemthing with all three dogs, keeping it short and sweet :cheer: The 5 year old is trialing fairly heavily but at the moment he's basically at a maintenance level. We could of course train a lot more to improve. I take both the older dogs to the same agility class and probably only attend once a fortnight. If I get the desire to retrain a few things with Rogan (5yr old) then training will be more intensive. He's 'inbetween' levels at obedience, having his CDX title but not yet training for UD. My decision was that while we're training and trialing in Retrieving trials I won't seriously look at UD. Not enouh time (sometimes you do have to make this decision) and Retrieving handling can be confusing with UD. The 7 month old is where most of my time is spent at the moment, setting the foundations. I have recently pulled him from obedience class because the club doesn't offer what we're looking for and train on my own. A lot of this foundation stuff can be done at home, in your lounge room even! The retrieving training is probably the most time and labour intensive, having to travel a bit to suitable areas, find water etc. It's also the most enjoyable for us :o

Unlike many people, I don't write timetables etc. Maybe I should :laugh: But, I find what and when I train depends a lot on my mood. If I'm not in the right frame of mind there is no use even bothering :drink: Also, having a goal, like entering a trial usually puts a cracker under my butt! :)

The real decisions come when deciding what to enter! With so many options, there are bound to be clashes :o Usually I choose what I and the dogs enjoy more, showing last and retrieving or agility first :o

The thing I find the most difficult is the changing between mental gears for each dog (good way of putting it Dogs4Fun :thanks: ), especially between the Kelpies and the GSD, as they work so differently. Between Kelpies not too bad, they work similarly, though different ages and slight difference in temperament. But the GSD is TOTALLY different! And if I take them both to obedience, I have problems changing gears to get it right.

:p Don't know how you do it - I have enough problems changing between my two BC's. Basically the dogs have become my life. 4 or 5 nights a week, plus weekends.

It's just a matter of being as commited as I can, but having to realise that there will be times when the dogs are going to have to miss a day here or there when life gets in the road. DON'T feel guilty when this happens and don't try and make up missed sessions. As long as you are having fun and they are going forward then it is all good.

If you have to join two clubs to fit it in then do it... I'd love to be in your situation where you had that available :thanks:

I have one club 45 mins away and the other is an hour and a quarter, I'm a member of both. My preference is always going to be agility so I train at the club which offers the best agility training (the furthest club of course!), but unfortunately it means I give up my preferential club for obedience training and the opportunity to do some trainee instructor work because they both train on Sundays!

You can't get a second dog Ness?

I haven't had 2 young dogs to train at the same time before. The other times the second dog had been retired.

The clubs aren't mega close unfortunately. It is hard to get to the week night sessions. Mmmmm unless I take a dog to workies....then I can go on the way home. :thanks:

I also work full time, have horses and have a property to look after by myself!

But hey you only live once!

Jules - I don't find it too hard - I do obedience/ agility / showing- and sometimes it is hard to get to Sunday classes coz of trials - but I try and keep Sunday's free.

A couple of times a week I do training in the morning, and other times at night (at home).... easier now with daylight saving :thanks:

I have weeknight agility 2x per week - so I either take 1 dog each night, or I take 2 dogs in 2 classes (one after the other) on the same night. there is the option of obedience on a weeknight - but I don't do that too often as it clashes with agility :p. Sometimes I just bring out my own stuff to do :mad

Weekends are free for trialling too.

I can do this with both dogs and have time just to 'chill' as well - so go on walks with no training or anything. It can take a little longer to train what you want, but I enjoy it, which is the main thing!

I have weeknight agility 2x per week

LP Where do you go and what nights are they? I need too work on agility more but have been on K9s waiting list for nearly a year :thanks:

I do nearly all my obedience training at home, do flyball and agility on the weekend.

Not doing any 'serious' training over the summer (unless i can get into an agility club), taking a needed break from everything and everyone.