Giving Dog A Bath

jillybean

I gave my puppy a bath this morning, but I think I ended up getting more wet than she did...

It's only the second time that she's had a bath, but the first time she was a lot smaller and I could hold her down easily with one hand! Today I had to pretty much hug her to keep her from jumping out of the laundry sink! I was feeding her treats throughout, and telling her how good she was (even though she wasn't...). She was fine with getting soaped up but as soon as I tried to wash all that shampoo off she started trying to jump out and was squirming all over the place! So, share your tips for next time!!

Don't even get me started on trying to clean her ears... :rofl:

:rofl:

Outside..fill a bucket or garbage bin with warm water (depending on size of dog) . wet dog with either a sponge,or dipper..have shampoo mixed with about 700 ml warm water in a detergent squeeze-type bottle....squirt gently over dog to get started (this way you have one hand on the collar!) Lather up.....Use a jug for rinsing.... too easy! Dog is on concrete/grass..so doesn't panic at slippery surface/odd noises/spraying taps...

I have done it this way, or just with the hose in Summer for many many years...

Oh..ear cleaning? easy, too....

whenever pup is on your knee or lying relaxed alongside you...play with her ears..lifting them up a little, running youir finger inside the flap...gradually working to sticking fingertip into the canal a tiny bit...this is to be done just as an affectionate patting thing...nothing special. If the pup wants attention...THIS is what she gets :laugh:

I do this with ours from tiny pups.

Then, start wiping inside ear flap with a tissue dampened with WARM black tea :o don't make a big deal out of it..is it just something that you do everytime you have cuddle time with your pup..... Hamlet thinks having his teeth checked, ears cleaned and eyes looked at is THE most delightful attention he's given !!

then it's a small step to gently wiping the very start of the canal with a damp tissue...

and so on, until one day, you drop one or two drops (WARMED) ear cleaner in, and ever so caringly massage her ears until she is a happy girl :love:

See? Easy :eek:

( theory is a wonderful thing!!! ) :rofl:

Also, make sure the water isn't too hot. Dogs can't tolerate really hot water so just take the chill off the cold water or use cold this weather. I never spray water over my dogs' heads either. Just use a face washer/moist cloth to clean their faces and ears. Mine get washed in the 'human' bath and I use a hair washing spray attachment to wet and rinse them. No trouble ever.

We have always bathed our dogs in the bath. We use a child's non slip mat at the bottom of the bath. This gives the dog some grip and makes them feel a little more comfortable. I have also been told a towel at the bottom can work well too.

We also have one of those hoses that attach to the tap and that allows us to wash and rinse them thoroughly.

You will find that over time your puppy will get used to it, it will become routine. They will have their moments they love and also those that they don't but will tolerate it. Just remember to always make it a fun experience. Any bad experiences will be remembered for a long time. :rofl:

Thanks, bordersrule, forgot to mention that. I just automatically put a towell in the bottom of the bath so the guys don't slip. I think the water temperature is something a lot of people don't think about. My guys really don't like the water too warm (they are a short coated breed, though). Maybe coated dogs don't have the same problem.

Thanks for all the tips!

Persephone - if only it were that easy!! :laugh: My puppy NEVER sits still, she's too hyperactive! The only time she's calm and relaxed is when she's actually asleep, and the slightest noise or touch wakes her up! She does let me play with her ears and massage them, so I guess it's just a matter of trying to get the cotton pad in there for a good wipe!

I used cool water and a shower hose attachment in the laundry tub. Perhaps I just need to make it more of a regular affair so she gets used to it, but I think I'll try outdoors next time, in my swimmers!

At least she's smelling all nice and clean for now :rofl:

If you happen to have one of those mixer taps in your laundry or kitchen you can unscrew the end off the spout and put a fitting on(get it from hardware store)and you add the plastic attachment you put on your outside taps and attach a hose to it and run it outside.That way you have acess to warm water without carting buckets of water out.

Thats what i did before i brought a hydrobath.

Out side with the hose (at allowed times of cause!). We gave up on trying to bath our dog's in the bath tub- they are like yours- don't mind being soaped up but hate having it washed off but they love running under the hose! Being short haired breeds they really only need washing once a month and the garden gets good water at the same time!

Edited by he'smyhero

Take them down to my shop & let the girls do it! Seriously, though, if you can afford to get a professional it's much less stressful for both you & the dog. Our bathers are wise to all the tricks - they are gentle but firm with the dogs. Often a dog will play up for his/her owner but nor for someone else.

I agree with poodlemum. Although.. its a long trip from Sydney to her shop in Melbourne. :shrug:

Haha that's a long way to travel just to get my puppy washed!!

Unfortunately my current budget won't stretch as far as getting my pup groomed professionally.. Well not after buying that 15kg bag of Eagle Pack! And luckily she's a beagle so she doesn't need too much grooming.

I used to love doing the Beagles! They came up so nicely and were easy to do.

I have jsut got a booster bath. It looks pretty good. So far i've only used it for brushing which worked well, my back was happy! I'll give it a go on the weekend and report back!