Hot Spot

rosegold

Hi

I have just discovered my first hot spot on one of my goldies. I have never experienced this before though I do know enough to recognise that this is what it is. I know hardy anything about treating it so any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

It has come up on my 8 month puppy which I show, so I would like to avoid if possible having to shave off too much coat. It has come up on the back of his neck, so I think it is unlikely that he is able to lick at it, I have removed a small section his coat in this area, about the size of a 5 cent piece, and have bathed it with a green teabag (I read this somewhere).

Thanks

No, by then it should have crusted up and the scabby bits will hopefully blow away with the dryer. :confused:

For Hot Spots I use Malaseb Medicated Shampoo (just wet the area and leave on for 10 mins then rinse), but lately have been using Pyohex Medicated Lotion - both work a treat!

Just had the same problem with my girl, It will heal much faster if it is clipped , vigoriously(sp?) clean the area daily you need to remove as much crusty bits as possible and apply ilium neocort cream,it has been a week and my girl is around 95% healed and hers was bad

eta. I originally only clipped a small area also but when I took her in to work I was advised to clip it and found it was much worse than I thought.

kirah 26.11.07

2611072.jpg

today 8 days later

412072.jpg

Edited by sheree_e4

Great advice, thanks everyone for the different treatments.

I take it that hot spot's are just one of those things? I have had goldies for about 4 years and this is my first dog to get one. Would you say some dogs are just more prone to it than others?

Some dogs and some breeds are more prone to it then others, food and flea tolerance can also make a difference.

Curash and Zinc powder immediately dry out the spot which will allow you not to have to cut the fur - it's what i now use on my fluff coat GSD's and i don't have to clip their coats to get rid of the spots now - as often as not if i catch it early it only takes one application of the powder and the spot is never seen again :confused:

Great advice, thanks everyone for the different treatments.

I take it that hot spot's are just one of those things? I have had goldies for about 4 years and this is my first dog to get one. Would you say some dogs are just more prone to it than others?

My Goldie got one 2 weeks ago and he is only a kid :thumbsup: The vet said that I had done a fantastic job on the hot spot (we still had to go though as he is very itchy in between his hind legs at the moment) - hair cut away from around it, diluted Betadine, dried with paper towel, sponging action not wiping and then Curash powder - which is zinc powder.

They are a bactrial infection that can occur due to a number of reasons and it is hard to determine the cause generally. Flea, mozzie or sandfly bites, matted hair or rained undercoat, prolonged dampness, etc etc.

Here is a very informative website. http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/hotspots.html

This is Bneons a week after beginning treatment - good luck I know they are awful but do heal over quite quickly - just take a long time for the hair to grow over again.

IMG_0405.jpg

Edit- By the way Rosegold - there is a Retriever thread in Breed Sub Forum - please come and say hi if you like and post a few piccies of your bubs! Here is the link http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showforum=51

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

Clipping is only necessary if you allow the hot spot to get a hold and spread, there is also no need for veterinary intervention if you catch it early enough. Unfortunately most vets (not mine, he's a show vet and knows better) will automatically clip the area even if the spot's only five cent sized. Wash the area with Malaseb, leave it on for 10 minutes, rinse and then dry the area thoroughly with a hair dryer. Then apply nappy rash cream as Tony recommended or, if you have it, Neocort ointment. Do this three times daily. Neocort is the very best thing for hot spots.

Be aware that many hot spots begin with a flea bite so keep your dogs on Advantage at all times, dogs that develop hot spots frequently have an allergy to flea saliva.

I've used alpha keri oil for the past 20 years on my goldies and found it very effective, if you get them early there is no need to cut the coat. Personally sometimes i think diet is major factor as well the heat.

I've also found if you rinse them in a solution of alpha keri oil and water after bathing them can help prevent them. But everyone has there own way of combating this problem

my lab used to get them all the time at this time of year.

It must have been an allergy to a grass or pollen .......or something.

I used to give him a periactin tablet every morning (its a antihistamine) that you buy from the chemist for about $7. You have to ask for it. He was about 50kg, so I imagine adjust to 1/2 tablet for smaller dogs.

So he was on them every Sept thu to the end of Feb and never got a hot spot again!

I appreciate everyone's advice, thanks so much.

I do have to ask more questions though...

Today the sore is no longer weeping, and has crusted over and is starting to look like a scab. Is this what it's meant to look like?. The area feels warm/inflamed but doesn't look infected, would this be beacuse the area is starting to heal?

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been away for 2 weeks and have returned to find my 5yo lab covered in heat spots. I wondered if she had been fretting and that had triggered it but the weather has been very wet here too so maybe she was wet for too long. I just bathed her in an anticeptic wash and have put listerine on it ( never tried it before) She isn't itching at all from what I can see. She never got them until last year.