Sardines Should I Get Spring Water Or Oil

chloebear

Just read the tread on Sardines in tomatoe sauce, I have been buying Sardines in spring water (often more expensive) worried about dog getting to much oil, does it matter can I buy the cheaper ones in oil. Prior to getting my new puppy a couple of months ago I had never heard of feeding sardines but she loves them.

I use sardines in vegetable oil usually, cheap homebrand ones. I drain them off also. Soy oil can cause allergies. Seawall brand Mackeral was great in a large can 425g, packed full of fish, great value, but they have dissappreaed from the shelf at my BiLo now :confused:

I get the ones in oil and if adding it to kibble i don't bother draining them...mind you i have large breed dogs so that can make a difference on how the body reacts to that much oil...eg if it just goes straight thru them or not! :confused:

I buy Brunswick brand in spring water, no salt added. I prefer to give my dog without the added flavour and he loves it. They come in 106g can.

Me too! Although, every now and then I buy the Brunswick brand with olive oil (but tip most of the oil off)

i get mine in a 3 pack from safeway i think they're like two dollars something.. pretty cheap!! :)

Same here except they're only 99 cents for the Safeway three pack up here. :thumbsup: These are in soya oil which I like because it has an Omega 6 EFA normally derived from the corn in kibble and corn allergies are common in my breed. (http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=fattyacids)

oil wise it will be best to give them cold pressed type. All other oils are not so gd to be consume for both humans and dogs also. My place don't have sardines but when I buy, I always get them in spring water.

I buy Brunswick brand in spring water, no salt added. I prefer to give my dog without the added flavour and he loves it. They come in 106g can.

Hey Panda!

good dog! but the photo is deceiving..........a German Spitz or a Jap Spitz??? I have 4 Germans!!!

I buy my guys Sardines in Oil! just the Woolies home brand ones.....3 tins for about $1.50, they get it once a fortnight! and they absolutly LOVE it!!! don't drain the oil out! just mush it in with their dry food!!!

Hey Panda!

good dog! but the photo is deceiving..........a German Spitz or a Jap Spitz??? I have 4 Germans!!!

He's a Japanese Spitz. Japanese Spitz only come in white. Wow! 4 German spitzs..I'm so jealous, we used to see a black German Spitz, but he's now living in Queensland. He was really cute.

Btw, not only I feed my dog sardine in spring water, I feed myself,too :rolleyes: I don't like it on its own so I turn it in to sardine salad with balsamic vinegar. The reason I choose sardine is because smaller fish, such as sardines and herring, are most likely to be free from mercury accumulation. When buying them canned, look for ones packed in their own oil, olive oil, or water rather than in soybean or cottonseed oil, which are not as good for you. The whole fish offer the benefit of calcium because you eat their bones. They have the most omega-3s. I don't like them in oil because it's too fatty.

Hey Panda!

He's a Japanese Spitz. Japanese Spitz only come in white. Wow! 4 German spitzs..I'm so jealous, we used to see a black German Spitz, but he's now living in Queensland. He was really cute.

Btw, not only I feed my dog sardine in spring water, I feed myself,too :rofl: I don't like it on its own so I turn it in to sardine salad with balsamic vinegar. The reason I choose sardine is because smaller fish, such as sardines and herring, are most likely to be free from mercury accumulation. When buying them canned, look for ones packed in their own oil, olive oil, or water rather than in soybean or cottonseed oil, which are not as good for you. The whole fish offer the benefit of calcium because you eat their bones. They have the most omega-3s. I don't like them in oil because it's too fatty.

Thought so Panda, although the pic is small on my PC!!

I have a chocolate boy, 2 cream girls and a black girl!...............at the moment!!!!

you just can't stop at 1 spitz!!!!!