Arthritis

frenchie

I'll second Joint Guard, I have also tried everything (including Green Lipped Mussel) and Joint Guard was the only one that works!!

We have a total of 6 dogs on it in our whole family & they're all doing extremely well!!

thankyou

Cartrophen injections shouldn't be too expensive unless you have a giant breed dog? Or the vet is charging you a consult each time? You can also get it in a capsule form called "sylvet" capsules, which must be kept in the fridge until used (like the cart inj)

Firstly we recommend people start on glucosamine once every 2nd day, and fish oil capsules twice a week.

Joint Guard is also a great product, and comes in powder, and recently introduced a liver flavoured dog chew into their range. You can also get fish oil capsules from your local vets now, and actually cheaper than buying from the supermarket.

If these don't work, then it's time to bring in the big guns, and try pentosan polysulfate aka Cartrophen or Sylvet.

-WithEverythingIAm

Cartrophen injections shouldn't be too expensive unless you have a giant breed dog? Or the vet is charging you a consult each time? You can also get it in a capsule form called "sylvet" capsules, which must be kept in the fridge until used (like the cart inj)

Firstly we recommend people start on glucosamine once every 2nd day, and fish oil capsules twice a week.

Joint Guard is also a great product, and comes in powder, and recently introduced a liver flavoured dog chew into their range. You can also get fish oil capsules from your local vets now, and actually cheaper than buying from the supermarket.

If these don't work, then it's time to bring in the big guns, and try pentosan polysulfate aka Cartrophen or Sylvet.

-WithEverythingIAm

40kg Standard Poodle

Ollie is having the set of 4 cartrophen injections and the total of 4 injections (all one week apart) is $47.00 - I don't think that is expensive for the relief it gives...

Sashas Blend smells really bad (like mussels that have been left in the sun) and I know a lot of dogs that won't take to it, Joint Guard does not smell and can easily be added to dinner without the dog turning up his/her nose.

My 8 year old boy had a cruciate ligament replacement a few year back, so he suffers from arthritis in that knee.

He has a fish oil capsule in his dinner every night and, when he gets a bit of a limp, I break open a Glucosamine Sulphate capsule into his dinner for a few nights.

He is doing remarkably well, especially considering his age and weight - 38kg.

My 8 year old boy had a cruciate ligament replacement a few year back, so he suffers from arthritis in that knee.

He has a fish oil capsule in his dinner every night and, when he gets a bit of a limp, I break open a Glucosamine Sulphate capsule into his dinner for a few nights.

Is his arthritis fairly mild since occasional Glucosamine shows an improvement? Glucosamine and Chondroitin need to build up in the system to have any therapeutic effect.

My Rottweiler has had TWLO surgery on both knees for ligament ruptures. She is on Joint Guard daily and has been since it came on the market. She also gets a fish oil/glucosamine (combined) capsule every night with her dinner.

Optimum benefit will be seen by using Glucosamine Hydrochloride (it's more bioavailable to dogs than Gluc. sulphate) together with Chondroitin. Joint Guard is the way to go because it contains all the necessary ingredients that work together for arthritis relief.

Is his arthritis fairly mild since occasional Glucosamine shows an improvement? Glucosamine and Chondroitin need to build up in the system to have any therapeutic effect.

My Rottweiler has had TWLO surgery on both knees for ligament ruptures. She is on Joint Guard daily and has been since it came on the market. She also gets a fish oil/glucosamine (combined) capsule every night with her dinner.

Optimum benefit will be seen by using Glucosamine Hydrochloride (it's more bioavailable to dogs than Gluc. sulphate) together with Chondroitin. Joint Guard is the way to go because it contains all the necessary ingredients that work together for arthritis relief.

Perhaps Clyp's arthritis is only mild - it just seems bad to me when I see him have a day when he limps and struggles to get up. :(

My vet did do an extremely good job with his knee reconstruction. :rofl: He reinforced the synthetic ligament with sinew from Calypso's thigh, so that it would graft in place to form a 'natural' ligament. He said a synthetic ligament often stretches in a dog Clyp's weight, causing further surgery to be required.

The routine of fish oil and glucosamine works well for him - as well as a massage when he gets really stiff - but as I said, perhaps it is only mild and I'm just a worrying Mum. :rofl::laugh: ;) ;)

Hi Mizzi, I would have had the traditional replacement of the ligament in my dog if she was a small breed and if she was older. She was only 18 months old when she had the first knee done. The TWLO surgery is invasive because it involves bone osteotomy and the placement of a titanium implant. However, once it's done there can be no further ligament damage and it can't break down in the future so the ortho surgeon and I decided to go that way with the surgery. She had the second knee done 12 months later.

Even though the surgery was done within a couple of weeks of her rupturing the ligament there were already arthritic changes showing on xray. She will be 7yo in January and doesn't as yet have any problems with arthritis.