Tick Information

sheree_e4

Ticks are most definatley more numerical than ever before.

Great advice above

just needed to add that re SCALIBOR collars they are not effective for the first 14 days and also The effect of swimming, bathing or shampooing on efficacy has not been established. The collar should be removed before swimming, bathing or shampooing the dog because the active substance is harmful to fish and other aquatic organisms. Do not rely on the collar for dogs that swim often or have been bathed.

Please be vigilant with your animals.

• 2 months later...

I moved to the gold coast in June - a high tick area. I've never found a tick before and use advantix on my dogs.

Just lost a bruno to paralysis tick last week.... He got one while I was out for the weekend.... by the time I got back it was too late. :cry::cry::cry:

What a waste of a wonderfull dog, only 8 years old. :cry::cry:

Too upset to talk about this yet but have to send out tick warning only..

Lots of people have lost dogs to ticks here this season.

Am checking poor bella twice a day... Poor dog....

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone knew if ticks were a worry up near Echuca? We might do an advantix just before anyway, but just want to be sure!

The maps online say it isn't tick country, but you never know. Anecdotal evidence may say otherwise...

Edited by Steph M

• 3 weeks later...

So very sorry for your loss :-(

I moved to the gold coast in June - a high tick area. I've never found a tick before and use advantix on my dogs.

Just lost a bruno to paralysis tick last week.... He got one while I was out for the weekend.... by the time I got back it was too late. :cry::cry::cry:

What a waste of a wonderfull dog, only 8 years old. :cry::cry:

Too upset to talk about this yet but have to send out tick warning only..

Lots of people have lost dogs to ticks here this season.

Am checking poor bella twice a day... Poor dog....

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone knew if ticks were a worry up near Echuca? We might do an advantix just before anyway, but just want to be sure!

The maps online say it isn't tick country, but you never know. Anecdotal evidence may say otherwise...

Probably too late for you lol, but nope not a tick area up there. :)

I'm in the process of moving back to the Mid North Coast region and am really worried about ticks. I am also worried about the chemical overload that is required to keep the little blighters at bay. I generally try to work along the minimalistic/natural side of things when I can and hate the thought of pumping all that crap into or over my dogs! Does anyone have any more natural remedies that they can recommend?

Also, re the tick collars, do they still have that yukko chemical smell etc these days? I used to tend to not want to really pat my dogs when they have them on :(

Thanks in advance :)

• 6 months later...

Lots of ticks about atm :(

Use preventive treatments and and check dogs daily if you're in a tick area. I don't remember them being as bad as they are at present.

And ABC maybe a bit late, however, the Preventic collar doesn't smell as bad as the Killtix :)

Edited by Ranga

• 1 month later...
Guest crazydoglady99

Have you heard of those disc things, you put it on their collar and it supposedly repels.. i have heard of them (cant remember the name but Google would tell you), i haven't tried them as we have no need.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Nasty little buggers, they usually tend to go in creases and in unapproachable areas. Check your doggos as much as you can. 

My friend's malamute just died from a tick bite :( His name was Ahti and he was a good boy. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am in south Gippsland and unknown to me we found out there are ticks around here.

The dogs haven’t picked up any on our property but did pick up about 20 each at the local botanical gardens.

As soon as we found them I collected a few and took them to the vet, was told they were just bush ticks, not to worry and just treat the dogs with Advantix.

Within days Hugo became very ill and required two emergency vet visits, he had severe vomiting, lethargy and a high temp, he was put on meds and I had to syringe a hydrating liquid into him every hour around the clock for three days, then add food into the mix.

We thought we were going to lose him, although he didn’t pick up paralysis ticks he had a severe reaction to being bitten (he is anaphylactic to bee stings).

• Sad 4

• 2 months later...

There must be a few around Rascal - Frodo had a near-death reaction - convulsions etc - to a P. tick bite in Belgrave, that was a bit over 10 years ago.  Vet who was onto it was at the Ferntree Gully clinic, and said then that they'd definitely been found down in Gippsland on possums but very few dogs had presented with them at that stage.  We had plenty of bush ticks around Sherbrooke Forest, but Frodo's was the only case of Paralysis Tick I knew of in the area.  They'd have to be spreading wider and increasing since that time though, given that possums foxes and feral cats host them.