Bringing My Pup Home

Chaconne

Hi everyone,

I'm very exited at the moment, becuase its only 5 days till i bring my beautiful girl home! :hug:

I was wondering though, what is the best way for me to bring her home? I have her crate here, but I'm not sure if I should use that because dogs generally need to be indroduced to it (ie. have some food and toys put in there and chance to explore) and I'm not sure if she would associate the confution of leaving the breeders with the crate after that.

It's possible to bring her home in the back seat held by a person

Thats what I was thinking of doing, having someone else with me who would drive of course! :hug:

Just wanted to make sure that was safe to do, the car is a pretty safe one, and we dont drive like maniacs haha

7 days until i get my pup, but i have the same question, i 2 had a crate (bought on ebay), but stupid me wanted the biggest i could get so ofcources it aint gonna fit in the car. I do however have an old cat carrier. I was gonna use that instead. I thought holding him would be the wrong thing (with 2 in the car ofcourse). So am i worng and should have someone with him on there lap? (sorry to hijack Chaconne)

When I picked my pup up, she sat on my lap for the drive home. (She was pretty stressed out by her flight beforehand so there's no way I would have done anything else). It was not only reassuring for her, but proved to be a good bonding experience for us too as as soon as we got home she spent most of her time sitting between my legs for safety.

We have used a harness and seat belt attachment since then though.

When i pick a puppy up it travels in the crate in the back of the car - it is the safest way for them to travel. If you bump the car, pup isn't going to get thrown forward and the pup isn't going to overheat like they can on a persons lap.

I always put puppies in crates to travel and I've never had one dislike the crate after the first trip home. It's much safer for the puppy, it's also more comfortable as they can lay down and rest and they can also keep cool or curl up in a corner if need be.

It's best not to make a fuss when travelling and to simply put them into the crate every time they go in the car and to ignore them, that way the car is not an overstimulating place to be and travel is no big deal.

I haven't done it often but I've used a cat crate. Secured it with a seat belt and had it facing the person sitting in the back seat.

When I've rehomed foster dogs I've always sent them off with a rug, towel or soft toy that they have been using. Just something with familar smells for them.

I'd suggest something similar for getting a puppy. Even if you supplied a clean, new towel a week or so before you bring the puppy home.

As I travel alone all my new pups go straight into a crate for the drive home and it's never had any adverse effect. Jedda, Whippet pup, came home in a middle sized crate which I also use for a Min Pin. she then went into her bigger crate at home. She will still squeeze into the Min crate at times and have a snooze, legs and head stick out in all directions :thumbsup:

I used a large, hard plastic pet carrier (PP40) which is an airline approved type. I padded the base with old rugs and we strapped it to the backseat with the seat belt.

I normally use it for my very large maine Coon cat, so a 10 week old Australian Shepherd puppy fitted in there quite nicely, although he howled most of the way home.

I would not carry an animal loose in the car. You might be the best driver in the world, but other drivers aren't.

thanks for all the tips guys!

I've borrowed a plastic crate from one of my friends, and will be taking her home in that.. safer, easier to clean if any wees, vomit etc. miss the towels and wont lead to her having any negative associations with her actual wire one