Vaccinations Again

Guest Tess32

Yes I know there are a zillion topics on it but it's hard to know where to start and everything is

contradictory.

My puppy was vaccinated at 6 weeks....he's only just been weaned.

Can I give a parvac shot at 10 weeks, then the C3 at 14 weeks? There is parvo around here

so I am extra concerned.

It is hard to know what to do.

As it stands the pup has been done too early (especially if not weaned for 2 weeks before the shot was given), and most likley has zero immunity from that Vaccination.

In theory if you do a Titer test it should tell you what the pup needs. If by some chance the first shot did work, you cant then inject it again too early as it will counteract the first one.........

I would be extra careful right now, as this very thing has happened to someone I know, they have just lost their 11 month old Rottie, thinking the pup was vaccinated at 6 , 12 & 16 weeks was up to date, but as the experts say it is simply not correct, the dog had no immunity from the puppy shots as they were given too young :rolleyes:

The only place, to my knowledge, to perform titre tests is in Perth. Therefore you need to factor in sample travel to Perth and of course xmas/new year close down. I had mine done early New Year and had the results within 4 days.

Hope this helps!!

I had blood drawn for parvo and distemper titres on Monday lunch time and got the results back Tuesday afternoon.

Yes same here. My vet is virtually next door to the lab.

Hepatitis took about 5 days as this one is done in the UK.

Yes I know there are a zillion topics on it but it's hard to know where to start and everything is

contradictory.

My puppy was vaccinated at 6 weeks....he's only just been weaned.

Can I give a parvac shot at 10 weeks, then the C3 at 14 weeks? There is parvo around here

so I am extra concerned.

You can give, and we do with pups, the killed parvac as early as four to five weeks of age. We give killed parvac until the pups are 14 weeks old, 1/2 ml per week and then give a C3 or C5 vaccination at 14 weeks. You can instead give 1ml every two weeks with no problems.

I had to take one of my dogs to the vet unexpectedly on Xmas Eve - and they needed to take blood to check kidney and liver function - so I asked them to take more for titres. Because it was after 5pm - they said the bloods wouldn't be sent off until the 27th. The vet lab advises that results could take up to 2 weeks to get back, but I have found it is usually a lot quicker than that.

You may want to try calling the vet lab to see if there is anybody in the Eastern States that does titres. The lab we use in WA is VetPath which is in Belmont. Ph 92778429 or Fax 92776453.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tess32

I have some more questions, hehe.

Because there is an outbreak nearish in my area, the vet gave Noah a PARVAC shot today. Now, in trying to understand the vaccination stuff, I gather that this killed vaccine works the same as a live vaccine in that there will be a one week 'window' of vulnerability where if he has too many maternal antibodies they will be used up killing this vaccine? It's kind of confusing! Does it mean I should really keep him in for the next few days?

The vet also said he is fine to still have his 12 week shot in two weeks, and that it doesn't have to be a month after PARVAC? So they won't interfere?

Also, are any of the high titre C3s the best one to have? I know there is some bad press on forte dodge....what one should we use?

Is it best to get him titre tested after his 16 week shot to check he is properly vaccinated now?

Thanks in advance.

If it were my pup I would wait now for 4 weeks before challenging his immune system again.

IDEXX will handle blood for titre's in Vic- they sent out information to all Vet Clinics a couple of years ago so when they say they haven't heard of it/don't know anything about it I would wonder seriously whether they read their mail or keep up with new developments. :eek:

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Guest Tess32

Thanks Mel. That's what I thought. I meant three weeks sorry, not two as he's only just after 9 weeks. I'll just wait till he's 13.5 weeks and give it to him then which makes 4 weeks.