Rope Burn

mojo74

A few weeks ago we were away and had contracted a company to remove trees in our backyard. OH and I were on our way back when they called to say they had started.

By the time we got home they had already finished. A few days later I noticed Harley our dobe with two massive welts on his hind legs. It turns out that the contractors had tied him up and now he has very bad rope burns that he chewed and got infected. Harley hates being tied up due to the fact my OH had him tied to his chair and got up without thinking, Harley got up to run after him and got spooked by the chair and took off....Needless to say he gets a bit freaked out and needs to be watched. Adding to this the noise of chippers and chainsaws would have not helped.

Not only is Harley in pain and has to wear a massive bucket which is uncomfortable for us and him and I have forked out hundreds of dollars on treatment at the vet.

I am really peeved as I told them to put the dogs under the house and shut the door if we were not home, a simple enough request. We are renovating and work full time so it is not always possible to be home if and when a tradie turns up. To date we have been really lucky and there have been no problems.

Next time I will have second thoughts about trusting people to follow my instructions.

has any one else had any similar problems?

Thats really sad. Poor doggie.

Unfortunantly other people dont love our dogs as much as we do.

I dont think labourers are obligated to follow instructions that have nothing to do with their duties though. However if they have a problem, they should speak up instead of treating your poor dog in such a way.

I dont think labourers are obligated to follow instructions that have nothing to do with their duties though. However if they have a problem, they should speak up instead of treating your poor dog in such a way.

what peeves me the most is that we had a number of conversations and they did not see it as a problem until the day gggrrrr.

what peeves me the most is that we had a number of conversations and they did not see it as a problem until the day gggrrrr.

I know what you mean. Labourers have let my dogs out leaving gates open and then not bothering to let me know that my dog has gone.!!!! who does that??????

I know what you mean. Labourers have let my dogs out leaving gates open and then not bothering to let me know that my dog has gone.!!!! who does that??????

Only an idiot.....sorry to all tradies who do the right thing. (I know there are plenty out there) as we have been building, buying and renovating at least a house a year for 8 years now and this is our first issue. I had a gut feel about this person, I should have ran with it.....when they turned up a number of days late I should have told them to come back when we were at home.

Have you contacted the tradie?

I would and i would be jumping up and down about it.

You told him what to do and he did not, not good enough.

You now have a dog who is under veterinary care and is costing money in vet fees.

Ring them and ask them to explain.

I hope your Dobe recovers soon mojo74 :champagne:

We also were working full time when our house was built so couldn't be there all the time. The guys that set up the slab left a huge piece of black plastic (about 4m x 4m) in the yard. This blew over the fence (we've got a bit of land) and landed in the paddock with two of our horses. One went straight through the fence and had some nasty injuries. I was soooooo peeved! It's not that hard to throw a brick or something on it to hold it down. Was blowing a gale that day too!!

I've since realised that there are too many people out there with little common sense, especially when animals are involved. I would never trust someone I didn't know with any of my furkids now.

mojo - I would NEVER trust another person (tradie or otherwise) to look out for my dog. If you can't be there for your dog perhaps you should not have him

Are you kidding me???? Could you be anymore judgemental?? What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. She said she works full time!!! Are full time workers not allowed to have pets?

mojo - I would NEVER trust another person (tradie or otherwise) to look out for my dog. If you can't be there for your dog perhaps you should not have him

Are you kidding me???? Could you be anymore judgemental?? What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. She said she works full time!!! Are full time workers not allowed to have pets?

Yes, you can have pets, but don't just assume that anyone else will look after them as you do. I would suggest that, if you really care about your pets, you would make arrangements for them to be out of harm's way when tradies are expected. Maybe I AM judgemental- all I know is, I would not trust my dogs to a stranger.

We worked fulltime but any workmen or tradie we made allowances & placed the pets safely away or made other arrangements .Our pets our responsability & i wouldnt dream of expecting someone entering the property to have to care for my dog aswell as do the job at hand.

I know what you mean. Labourers have let my dogs out leaving gates open and then not bothering to let me know that my dog has gone.!!!! who does that??????""

You should have taken better precautions .

Im sorry but why do people expect to have there cake & eat it. :thumbsup:

We worked fulltime but any workmen or tradie we made allowances & placed the pets safely away or made other arrangements .Our pets our responsability & i wouldnt dream of expecting someone entering the property to have to care for my dog aswell as do the job at hand.

I know what you mean. Labourers have let my dogs out leaving gates open and then not bothering to let me know that my dog has gone.!!!! who does that??????""

Im sorry but why do people expect to have there cake & eat it. :thumbsup:

I was home when the gate was left open and half the house was open to the elements!! short of glueing my dog to my side 'accidents happen' and the tradie who told me that my dog had left the yard saw her leave and waited a while before telling me. I take full responsibility for my dogs and as you so elequently put it.... i dont expect my cake and eat it to!! There are a lot of 'perfect' dog owners out there tonight who feel the need to judge everyone.

I dont think they are perfect. They just have the foresight to think problems through before they happen and take the appropriate precautions.

Mojo are the wounds now healing up or is he still chewing them?

Edited by Ari

Yeah, the main thing that surprised me about that story was that the tradies were actually prepared to get close enough to tie up a Dobe when its owners were not on the property.

The OH and I both work full time and we never give tradies the opportunity to do the wrong thing with the dogs. Sometimes it annoys said tradies, but I've heard of too many situations where dogs have been let loose with hardly a thought despite clear instructions not to.

Also I have some sympathy for the tradies - it's a pain in the arse for people lugging tools and equipment to have to keep shutting gates and doors to keep a client's speedy labradoodle from scooting out onto the road. I think dogs should be in a confined area away from the work, or with friends, or kenneled. In this case it was good that a confined area had been arranged, but not so good that it was left to the tradies to organise. If I don't personally know someone, I can't know if I can trust them.

I am sorry your dog got rope burn,BUT you cannot blame the tradies for what happened,they do not know your dogs history,you as a responsible dog owner should have had the dog in kennels or away from the yard while any work was being done without you being able to supervise the dog.

They cannot be blamed for trying to keep your dog safe, hopefully a lesson has been learned.

IMO you are lucky they even tied the dog up,it could have been much worse.

I don't think the dog should have been loose when they were coming but thats not the point.

These people had no right to tie your dog up to the point where it was injured. If they could not work with the dog there they should have left the job & contacted you to either return when satisfactory arrangements had been made or billed you for a call out fee for the inconvenience,which would have been cheaper than the vet fees & less traumatic for your dog.

If your dog had been injured due to attacking them & them defending themselves that would be your fault,another scenario.

I would be sending them the vet bills & contacting the head of the company,if there is one.

For future work though it is best to either have your dog inside or arrange for it to be done when you are home,say weekend etc. I'm just sorry for the dog,must have been scary for it.

A few weeks ago we were away and had contracted a company to remove trees in our backyard. OH and I were on our way back when they called to say they had started.

By the time we got home they had already finished. A few days later I noticed Harley our dobe with two massive welts on his hind legs. It turns out that the contractors had tied him up and now he has very bad rope burns that he chewed and got infected. Harley hates being tied up due to the fact my OH had him tied to his chair and got up without thinking, Harley got up to run after him and got spooked by the chair and took off....Needless to say he gets a bit freaked out and needs to be watched. Adding to this the noise of chippers and chainsaws would have not helped.

Not only is Harley in pain and has to wear a massive bucket which is uncomfortable for us and him and I have forked out hundreds of dollars on treatment at the vet.

I am really peeved as I told them to put the dogs under the house and shut the door if we were not home, a simple enough request. We are renovating and work full time so it is not always possible to be home if and when a tradie turns up. To date we have been really lucky and there have been no problems.

Next time I will have second thoughts about trusting people to follow my instructions.

has any one else had any similar problems?