8 Week Whippet Puppy With Really Bad Diarrhea Dunno What To Do?

Hi All

Recently purchased 2 8 week old whippet puppies.. One is doing fine but the other poor baby has really bad diarrhea. Im not sure what to do.. Its very watery and is coming unexpectedly.. she farts the poor girl and my poor carpet is copping it :laugh: (anyone know to clean it everything im trying ain't working)

It started yesterday and hasn't stopped i would've taken her the vet yesterday but i thought it would pass and now my vet isn't open today. Just wondering what i could to until i can get her to he vet tomorrow?

It only happened yesterday a few times but today she can't control herself.. theres no blood in it but ive noticed its very grainy?.. we have a sand pit she was playing in yesterday morning if she ate some would that give her an upset tummy?

shes on science diet puppy and we've been giving her a few tippets for dinner ..but im doubting its her diet cos her sister doesn't have it..??

Any help would be grateful thanks

:rofl:

Guest Tess32

Where in Melb are you? Sandringham Vet Clinic is open on public holidays but if I were you I'd go to an emergency clinic now.

The emergecy vet clinics are open. If you are in the SE 'burbs the Animal Emergency Centre is open. Phone 9803 8122.

The Yellow pages will tell you which emergency vets are open and if there's one open in your area.

As others have said Parvo is rife at the moment and you need to have this dog tested and treated TODAY. Your other puppy may be in danger as well.

just taken both to the vet.. there temps are fine.. theres no obstructions .. everything appears normal she gave her tablets to help stop the diarrhea and told me to feed her boiled chicken and rice until it all calms down then slowly introduce the science diet .We only gt the pups last friday and she thinks it stress related and change of diet ( last owners fed her pedigree and were feeding her science diet) If shes no better tomorrow arvo ill be taking her back..

after hours vets are so expensive $170 for a consult!! but its worth it i wouldn't have slept after hearing about parvo outbreaks.. i would've been stressing all night especially after reading what stormy and her Italian greyhound went though !!

Glad to hear they seem OK. I think you did the right thing in taking them to the vet as sick puppies can deteriorate very quickly once dehydrated. $170 well spent and it's good news they seem OK.

Digestive upsets aren't uncommon when pups go to their new homes, but if no better tmw, I'd go back to the vet, too.

Best wishes :cry:

Glad to hear all is okay so far. :mad

Puppies tummies dont adapt to diet change very well, so if you need to change their feed to something else, try to intoduce it over a week, to give them time to adapt.

Boiled chicken and rice is great for upset tummies, my girl had the runs/vomiting and quickly dehydrated when she was 11 weeks old.

I panicked and thought Parvo, but the vets tests confirmed it was a type of gastro bug, still frightened the life out of me though. (she was at the vets for 12 hours on a drip and cost me a small fortune ;))

Hope the little one picks up by tomorrow. :cry:

PS Try Biozet for the carpet stains, or white vinegar (test a small patch of carpet first in case).

The breeder didn't recommend any diet !! she was feeding them pedigree and we chose science diet cos that is what my other whippet was brought up on.. we even told her we were gonna use science diet .. i'd rather my babies get a good dry food instead of supermarket rubbish!!

You have learnt a lesson though you never change a diet over night ,this what happens when you change a diet to fast without weaning i.

Mind you science diet isnt favoured by very many people .It is the last brand i would feed or recommend as it contains to nuch wheat & corn.

Was she feeding the supermarket brand or the premiun pedigree range??

Edited by settrlvr

The supermarket brand .. lesson learned the vet told me once she's better on chicken and rice to slowly introduce it back into her diet.. my other puppy hasn't had any problems with the change . i use advance for my big whippet and greyhound is that crap too?

I dont use either ,many use advance with great success but it isnt for my dogs.(doesnt agree)

Although of all the super premiun science diet is at the bottom for me & many here on the list.

Science diet is well known for causing the runs due to the ingredients.

Edited by settrlvr