Humping Puppy...

Tiger_bluez

Hi

My pup Zoya is just turning 6 months old in 20 dec 2007. She has been desexed, vaccinated, wormed and get monthly flea treatment.

lately... Zoya seem to be highly sexual.. .. she is humping the air, rubbing her vagina on carpet and licking it vigorously. my partner thought she has worm, but i have checked her poops and can't find any.

she seem to do this after done her toilet break. I have to distract her with toys or play with her to stop her from licking or humping the air.

Is it normal or something I have to worry about?

and as well consider she is a large cross breed, there is a high posibility that she might have hip problem. I am thinking to give her something to help the joints. Should I just give her normal (human) fish oil or Flexseed oil?

cheers

I agree...take her to the vet. Our Dora girl was doing this last year and it turned out to be blocked anal glands. They needed squeezing and it took two trips to get rid of the problem.

Before you go to the vet, see if you can collect a specimen of urine to take with you! I know you are thinking......how the hell am I going to get my dog to wee!!!!

here is what you do..........very simple!!

Go to a pathology collection centre (Gribbles, IMVS or such) or your local GP (see the receptionist not the dr) and ask them for a paediatric urine collection bag and a yellow top urine container. when you get home, peel the sticky side off the paediatric bag and stick it over her fanny! once she does a wee, simply peel off the bag, then snip the end off the bag and pour it into the yellow top specimen container! easy!

she will walk funny, but I did this with my old Australian Cattle Dog bitch, and being a nurse and working in GP's rooms, it was easy for me to take the stuff needed home.

I didn't have a pan to run around behind her with and also I have a frozen shoulder so that would have been impossible for me to do anyway!!!

IT REALLY WORKS WELL, is simple to do,

that way your vet will be able to test her urine there and then!

your vet will be impressed by your methods!!! mine was!!!

Humping can be a dominance thing, and if she has just been desexed, it could be her hormones in a state of fluctuation still.

I have a motto.................'if in doubt.............check it out'

Good luck with her!

try the urine collection as above!

I'll watch out to see what happens!

Edited by edgesmum

No more humping, you are lucky this problem has resolved itself overnight. I doubt it's sexual behaviour.

Her actions are telling you she is uncomfortable and that something is wrong. It sounds very much like she has a urinary tract infection which is causing irritation and is stinging and/or burning the vulva. I would take her to the vet promptly because she probably needs antibiotics. How long has this been going on?

You can collect a urine specimen in any wide mouthed small glass or plastic container you have in the house. I sterlise the container and lid by pouring boiling water into them and allowing them to dry by turning them upside down on a paper towel. When your dog goes outside, stand behind her with the container and collect some urine directly into the container. Easy to do, you don't need any other tools and you are getting an uncontaminated collection.

Edgesmum: good idea for small children but my dog would remove that bag sticking to her hair in much shorter time than it would take me put it there. I imagine it wouldn't be too comfortable for the dog when removing it either...a bit like waxing.

Hi again

Ok.. before everyone get too nasty to me, Zoya hasn't done the humping anymore. I think must be something to do with hot weather. She was desexed in 12 Dec 2007 before reaching 6 months old. I am thinking that she might has been on heat as well. I have wormed her again yesterday.

She is scheduled to see a vet next weekend for a check up and I will ask the vet regarding the humping. She peed and poop regularly and seem fine. She eats well just looks abit tired due the hot weather.

My understanding about UTI is that she feel the pain when she is urinating. Zoya pees 3-4 x a day. she looks fine not in pain. sometimes she would hump the air after last toilet before bed time.

I just read in other 'humping puppy' topic, it mentions that it could be hormone after desexing considered she starts doing it after desexed.

But again for peace in mind, she will see a vet this saturday and I will ask the Vet regarding the issue.

thanks for the reply

cheers

Edited by Tiger_bluez

Hi again

Ok.. before everyone get too nasty to me, Zoya hasn't done the humping anymore. I think must be something to do with hot weather. She was desexed in 12 Dec 2007 before reaching 6 months old. I am thinking that she might has been on heat as well. I have wormed her again yesterday.

My understanding about UTI is that she feel the pain when she is urinating. Zoya pees 3-4 x a day. she looks fine not in pain. sometimes she would hump the air after last toilet before bed time.

I just read in other 'humping puppy' topic, it mentions that it could be hormone after desexing considered she starts doing it after desexed.

But again for peace in mind, she will see a vet this saturday and I will ask the Vet regarding the issue.

Tiger bluez, Last time you asked about a health question in your dog and you were advised to take her to the vet you said the same thing about people being nasty or harsh. Maybe you need to add into the heading of your post about your dog's health that you do not want any advice about taking your dog to the vet because you consider such advice to be nasty or harsh.

People are NOT being nasty by advising you to take your dog to the vet. You are getting sound advice with the welfare of your dog in mind.

I wish I was so lucky that a vet visit and some antibiotics would heal my dog.

If this dog was in season when she was spayed I can assure you that even if you failed to notice the vet most certainly would and probably would have advised you to delay the spay until at least a couple of weeks after the end of the heat. She is not on heat now either because spayed dogs don't come into heat.

The other thread you refer to is not applicable to your dog because your dog is displaying symptoms other than humping. This thread is offering you advice for your dog. It's up to you whether you take it or leave it.

At the risk of repeating myself your dog is humping after urinating and rubbing her vulva along the ground and licking excessively because she probably has a urinary tract infection which is burning and stinging her vulva and she probably needs a course of antibiotics. She is telling you there is something wrong and you're not listening. You think her symptoms may be due to the weather :eek: You can't be serious :confused:

If it was my dog it would not give me any peace of mind to delay a vet visit for another 5 days. It would keep me awake at night with worry. The least you can do if you won't take her to the vet PRONTO is to collect a sample of her urine and take it to the vet for urinalysis.

I am being harsh in this post. Sometimes it's necessary when people clearly are reluctant to take their dog to the vet. I ask if you had painful symptoms that appeared to be linked to a urinary infection would you wait a week to be seen by a doctor?

We buy the urine containers from the chemist.

As for UT & pain .Dogs can often shows very little signs of ill health so you must make your self awar of other occurrences that give you warning signs.

I have dog that suffers from infection of the penis .He doesnt show any pain but i am very offay at reading the early signs.

His condition does become very serious even when caught early .

Even at the worst there dear boy still doesnt show signs of what i would look for as pain but a change in coat texture etc etc does help.

As she has only recently been spayed she may have an infection or the start of UTI which can become one very expensive life long problem if not looked after early.

If your vet did spay whilst in season they should have told you & it would have cost more with higher risks that you would have been advised off

I doubt that the humping has anything to do with hormones, if I were you I'd take her to the vet asap, UTI's aren't uncommon in desexed bitches. As others have said, make sure you take a urine sample with you.

Thanks again for your kind advices. I have re-read again my post, and it does come across as I am a stubborn, stupid and unresponsible pet owner. I think i must be kind of parent who think nothings wrong with their children. I do worry about Zoya all the time. But as I mentioned before that Zoya hasn't shown me those kind of signs anymore..

I have been sick these few days. and to be honest the money is quite tight at the moment. When I able to get get out from house, i will get that urine container and get her urine sample.

please be nice, cause it get messages across better.

Meanwhile is there any antibiotic that i can give her in case she is not feeling comfortable? something like Ural?

thanks again for your time replying my post.

cheers

Lee xoxo

Thanks again for your kind advices. I have re-read again my post, and it does come across as I am a stubborn, stupid and unresponsible pet owner. I think i must be kind of parent who think nothings wrong with their children. I do worry about Zoya all the time. But as I mentioned before that Zoya hasn't shown me those kind of signs anymore..

I have been sick these few days. and to be honest the money is quite tight at the moment. When I able to get get out from house, i will get that urine container and get her urine sample.

please be nice, cause it get messages across better.

Meanwhile is there any antibiotic that i can give her in case she is not feeling comfortable? something like Ural?

No, you don't come across as stubborn, stupid or irresponsible. You come across as a novice dog owner who cares about your dog. However you do show a reluctance to take your dog to the vet.

None of us like paying vet fees but it's a responsibility that comes with owning a dog.

We can only tell you what we would do in your situation going on the information you provide. I believe you need to get that urine sample to the vet ASAP. We can't see the dog and her symptoms indicate she needs vet attention...whether or not the symptoms appear and disappear at random.

You can go to your vet and ask them for a container to collect a urine specimen and they will give you one. These containers are also available from any chemist.

Ural is not an antibiotic. You need a prescription for antibiotics. Will you at least phone your vet and ask him about giving the dog a human product? You need to be sure the product is safe for dogs.