Obedience Critique

Hiya guys!

First 'real' video I've made of my young girlie who hopes to make her debut this year (If I get my act together :eek:)....

Would love some comments and critique please! Apologies for me going out of frame sometimes - my cameraman was put on the spot and a little nervous :D :)

This is our first shot back since club break up end of November.... and methinks she has forgotten to stand ;).

Again - would love some comments :rofl:!

That song is bloody awful :D

Sorry, I'd give you more in depth feedback but it won't play properly for me at the moment :eek: Plus Im not a trialler, so I don't know how valuable my suggestions (if any) would be as that's what you are preparing for.

She looks great though :rofl:

The very first time you asked her to stand and she sat, you didn't recommand? Or was it just a really slow sit?

Heeling looks great to me, i would have her fast pace a little faster but thats just me.

Do her recalls ever get slow or unmotivated?

The very first time you asked her to stand and she sat, you didn't recommand? Or was it just a really slow sit?

The very first time - I missed that she sat before we took off again - otherwise she would have been re-commanded. Didn't know she did that till I saw the vid :D.

Do her recalls ever get slow or unmotivated?

No - Her recalls are usually rocketing in - that was slow for her - she had got one wrong before that, so that usually slows her down a bit :). Normally - I have to brace my knees :rofl::eek:

Looks great leopuppy! I'd love some heeling like that from my dogs :eek: Although some judges might ping you for crowding.

You lost her on one left about turn, I'd try and take a smaller step out of the turn instead of the full large step. Only other thing I could say is that I'd be careful of correcting the stand and then rewarding. Several times you 'pulled' her up from the sit into a stand and I can see this becoming a habit if you're then rewarding the stand (she may learn to sit then stand). I'd be more tmepted to walk her again into the stand and reward for a correct position, or do what you're doing then walk forward and retry the stand and then only reward if she gets the stand right away.

Great work! Can you come train my pup now!! :rofl:

Looks great leopuppy! I'd love some heeling like that from my dogs :) Although some judges might ping you for crowding.

Thanks FHRP! I know some judges might ping me, but I'm willing to shoulder that as this is the type of heeling style I like :eek:

Only other thing I could say is that I'd be careful of correcting the stand and then rewarding. Several times you 'pulled' her up from the sit into a stand and I can see this becoming a habit if you're then rewarding the stand (she may learn to sit then stand). I'd be more tmepted to walk her again into the stand and reward for a correct position, or do what you're doing then walk forward and retry the stand and then only reward if she gets the stand right away.

Good point and duly noted - I think I only did it once :rofl: I should know better though ;).

Oh - I forgot to say Cosmolo - Fast pace will be faster eventually - it's a little slower at the moment as it's more important to me that she maintains position (we've only just introduced the 3 paces)... When she gets that down pat, speed will increase :D. Oh and for recalls - she does tend to go slower the shorter they are...

Hi Leopuppy04!

Ok...I think overall for a young dog she looks great!

I wouldn't worry about the slight confusion with the stand, that's all quite normal for a green dog. Time will clear that up.

The only thing that I could pick up that will cause you long term problems is that you are overlooking focus at key times. The most notable is after each halt, she is looking forwards and not looking for hand signals. She also shifts focus on some turns. She is looking at getting around your legs rather than looking for hand signals.

I would be doing some turn work, and mark and drop reward mid turn.

It was quite a long heel pattern, and she may or may not always do that. Bit hard to pick on just one video! I thought she was great position wise. :rofl:

The recall was too short to make any assumptions about technically.

Nice work. Potential trial winner there!

Ok...I think overall for a young dog she looks great!

Thanks DD!

The only thing that I could pick up that will cause you long term problems is that you are overlooking focus at key times. The most notable is after each halt, she is looking forwards and not looking for hand signals. She also shifts focus on some turns. She is looking at getting around your legs rather than looking for hand signals.

Duly noted - I watched it again, and only saw a few points where she looked away (both in turns and halts)... I think part reason could be is that she is still a little green in terms of proofing around lots of noise so tends to turn her head to the sound. She does snap back to attention pretty quick in this (which is good!!) but it is something we are working on :eek:

I would be doing some turn work, and mark and drop reward mid turn.

Will add that one to the books.

It was quite a long heel pattern, and she may or may not always do that. Bit hard to pick on just one video! I thought she was great position wise. :rofl:

VERY long heel pattern! We rarely do one that looong!!! LOL. I just love that she was enthusiastic to the end though :D.

Thanks DD :)

I'm not sure how old your dog is but has great potential.

The only things that I would comment on is that you and your dog don't seem to be in a rhythm as a team in the heeling pattern. You need to walk a tad faster and have a more even pace and then the dog will be consistant at that pace and not "bobbing" so much. You need to look straight ahead a lot more, the dog knows his heel position.

The dog has great head position and with the stand, you are taking too many steps after the hand signal. I would like to see the hand come out at the last three definite paces you are taking before you stop. The dog is anticipating (thinking) "the hand is coming out, oh no, she's still moving, oh does she want a sit, oh no it's a stand"...

The recall is very short but I would like to see the dog come in a hell of a lot faster-I'm sure she can.

Again, she shows great potential and a lovely attitude.

Well done.

She's just on 18mths.

The only things that I would comment on is that you and your dog don't seem to be in a rhythm as a team in the heeling pattern. You need to walk a tad faster and have a more even pace and then the dog will be consistant at that pace and not "bobbing" so much. You need to look straight ahead a lot more, the dog knows his heel position.

LOL - point taken! It's hard trying to juggle between 2 dogs i've decided! What's right for one, isn't necessarily right for the other ;) :) Mind you - I think part of the 'bobbing' is just coz she's a silly git and sooo happy to be out there :)

The recall is very short but I would like to see the dog come in a hell of a lot faster-I'm sure she can.

Yes, the recall was crap. Very slow pace for her - don't know why!

The dog has great head position and with the stand, you are taking too many steps after the hand signal. I would like to see the hand come out at the last three definite paces you are taking before you stop. The dog is anticipating (thinking) "the hand is coming out, oh no, she's still moving, oh does she want a sit, oh no it's a stand"...

Well done.

Listen to SARDOG, she is too humble to talk about oustanding wins, in a past life, before S & R became her focus.

Hey, do you ever change the reward hand, or mode of giving the food ie behind your back?. Kinta seems, almost, she looses focus when she knows it is not reward time or schedule (she looses concentration).

She looks lovely. I like the song, but switched off the sound.

awsome work well done!!

with the stand i agree with sardog and JulesP the dog is anticapating what to do, focus on your position and your body language, are you doing the same thing for a sit? feet psoition hand position, facial expreshions is she miss reading your position? a simple thing as leaning to your dog could be a signel to your dog for a position she is ment to undertake.

you make me want to have Ausses :)

Hey, do you ever change the reward hand, or mode of giving the food ie behind your back?. Kinta seems, almost, she looses focus when she knows it is not reward time or schedule (she looses concentration).

I don't think it's the reward schedule as that is variable. She needs a lot of practice around distractions and unfortunately, when I was converting/ editing it, the sound vanished.... but almost every time she looks away is because of a sound elsewhere :).

I don't think it's the reward schedule as that is variable. She needs a lot of practice around distractions and unfortunately, when I was converting/ editing it, the sound vanished.... but almost every time she looks away is because of a sound elsewhere :).

She looks gorgeous. BTW, I will be humming the song all night now. BTW, I had legs like yours......years ago!!!!!!! LOL. Impressed with the video, nice and steady. Mine are disgraceful in comparison.

She looks gorgeous. BTW, I will be humming the song all night now. BTW, I had legs like yours......years ago!!!!!!! LOL. Impressed with the video, nice and steady. Mine are disgraceful in comparison.

I wish I never put that song on - it's driving me :):)

Haha - I hate my legs!!!! Ewwwww! LOL!

I'm a bit disappointed with the quality actually as I find it a bit blurry - but it's new - so maybe I haven't set the settings right or something?! ;).... It just better give me better quality than that :D

I did notice that people were playing cricket on the grounds, so quite a strong distraction.

The other thing I forgot to say was - if you are going to do CCD then I would be training with a lead on. Funny how something like that can change a dog's work. If you are going to skip CCD ignore me!